McCain's Adopted Daughter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: McCain's Adopted Daughter Reply with quote

So why is she being brought out now instead of much earlier? I think this poor girl is just a pawn in her father's campaign.
luke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccains campaign manager explained it a while back in the washington post;

Quote:
Rick Davis, campaign manager for John McCain’s presidential bid, insisted that the presidential race will be decided more over personalities than issues during an interview with Post editors this morning.

“This election is not about issues,” said Davis. “This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates.”

Davis added that issues will no doubt play a major role in the decisions undecided voters will make but that they won’t ultimately be conclusive. He added that the campaign has “ultimate faith” in the idea that the more voters get to know McCain and Barack Obama, the better the Republican nominee will do.

they have to do this because if they start talking about issues, they're going to get into trouble ...

Quote:
A flood of recent polls show an overwhelming preference for Democratic positions across virtually the entire spectrum of issues, so the GOP has to make the race about something else. This year as in 2000 and 2004, the Republicans will try to turn the race into a presidential personality contest. And to win it, they need to manufacture a “character gap” between John McCain and Barack Obama.

so anything, anything, to keep off the issues and its job done for the mccain team
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many people are actually affected by sympathy for the candidate's family, and whether or not they can be somehow blocked from voting?
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, everyone gets to vote, even if you waste that vote! Laughing I watched that part of the convention last night (it came on before I got to the point that I could no longer stand to listen to them) and it smacked of "look at me and what wonderful things I have done". Very staged and purposeful....
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Very staged and purposeful....

Although I didn't watch it on tv, that's definately the impression I've gotten from all the articles I've read.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently he put her on show at the 2000 elections as well...I don't remember ever seeing her before...
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband is away this week in NYC - he called me earlier tonight after watching Sarah Palin deliver her speech at the RNC - he was so mad it took me about 10 mins to calm him down. He was incensed that she talked all about her family for ages before even mentioning her qualifications to be VP and her experience as a politician OR any of the issues. So, I made him watch The Daily Show to try to get him to see the funny, sarcastic side of it all.

He called me back later and was better but still irate. Now, he's on the phone to his sister in Seattle because I told him I wanted to go to bed and was too tired to get into it.

Well, now I am going off to bed, so good night folks...and let's just hope Obama wins in November, otherwise my life won't be worth living...or we may just have to move back to the UK. Mmmmm....!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is always the amazing thing Twirls. Here it is the dirty laundry of their family lives is never the media's or our business but the sunshine and light of their family lives is out there for everyone to see and we SHOULD pay attention to it. It's typical double standard political behavior.
You can't have it both ways.

I for one want to hear how they are qualified to hold office. As long as family problems and joys are "normal" I could give a fuck less about it.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that Sky! I couldn't care less about her family. She told us all the terrible things that the country is going thru, how wonderful McCain is because he is a POW (as did EVERY other speaker - I guess his main qualification is that he let the Vietnamese catch him...), but she never said word #1 about how she and McCain were going to fix anything. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful to McCain for his service and he gave more than any of us will ever know, but that does not make him Presidential material. She didn't show me much other than she is a fairly good public speaker and the difference between hockey moms and pit bulls...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Sky. I mean, being Canadian, I obviously am not voting in the election, but pretty much anything to do with the US affects Canada.

The way they campaign in the US just really disgusts me. Not that Canadian politics is are a great thing--- but we don't seem to have these huge, huge campaigns and rallies where they're trying to pull out all sorts of dirt on the other party. Yes, it does happen, but not the extent that it does in the US. Sometimes I just want to scream --- focus on the issues already!!!! Laughing
luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
I am thankful to McCain for his service and he gave more than any of us will ever know

this was his service in vietnam yeah? a country that hadn't done anything to america? the attempt to prop up what was essentially an american colony, south vietnam, which was being run by a dictator that america installed? his service in bombing civilians from a plane? ( mccain himself said when he was shot down he was busy bombing a 'heavily populated part of hanoi' )

Confused

i wonder ... if it had been the other way round, a vietnamese guy bombing a heavily populated part of america in a war where millions of americans died ( as vietnamese did ) and he was shot down, i wonder if he'd still be alive to run for president ...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
SpursFan1902 wrote:
I am thankful to McCain for his service and he gave more than any of us will ever know

this was his service in vietnam yeah? a country that hadn't done anything to america? the attempt to prop up what was essentially an american colony, south vietnam, which was being run by a dictator that america installed? his service in bombing civilians from a plane? ( mccain himself said when he was shot down he was busy bombing a 'heavily populated part of hanoi' )

Confused

i wonder ... if it had been the other way round, a vietnamese guy bombing a heavily populated part of america in a war where millions of americans died ( as vietnamese did ) and he was shot down, i wonder if he'd still be alive to run for president ...

Service in military isn't just service in war. McCain served his country in war and peace time. It's easy to focus just on Vietnam but there was more to his military career than just that.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Luke, I don't know if your ponderings would be true in their alternate universe or not, nor do I care, but I will tell you this, McCain, for as much as I don't like him or want him for president, has spent a hell of alot more time in a POW camp than either you or I ever will or ever want to, so for that he gets a salute and a nod from me. He gets that nod for being a survivor.

Why is it that POW's from WWII get the big nod but they don't from Viet Nam. The question of our involvement aside, he (and all of the others stationed there) did what their country asked them to do, even if they didn't agree with it, and that is the real sacrifice. I don't agree with the current war either, but I do support the troops that are doing what is being asked of them.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
The question of our involvement aside

thats brilliant! Laughing

i didn't mean to start an argument or anything, i really was just wondering. and for your info, i don't give any nod to german pow's, they were the invading army, their service allowed the atrocity to happen ... just as i wouldn't give any nod to any british or american pow's caught in iraq, they shouldn't be there. if iraq invaded here on false pretenses and i caught one, i'd kill him myself
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpursFan1902 wrote:
You know, Luke, I don't know if your ponderings would be true in their alternate universe or not, nor do I care, but I will tell you this, McCain, for as much as I don't like him or want him for president, has spent a hell of alot more time in a POW camp than either you or I ever will or ever want to, so for that he gets a salute and a nod from me. He gets that nod for being a survivor.

Why is it that POW's from WWII get the big nod but they don't from Viet Nam. The question of our involvement aside, he (and all of the others stationed there) did what their country asked them to do, even if they didn't agree with it, and that is the real sacrifice. I don't agree with the current war either, but I do support the troops that are doing what is being asked of them.

I stand by each word you just said Spurs. It's so easy to point and spit still at the soldiers who fought and died or were left behind (some by choice) during the Vietnam War. It's also very easy to pass judgments on it.

Like I stated before, McCain served his country in peace time as well. Just like my father did. My father also served in the Vietnam War he was also in Cambodia. Did he believe in those wars? No. Did he suffer from what happened over there. Yes. My father was close to both American, Vietnamese and other countries soldiers. He lost friends on both sides. I still remember him telling me that the only true enemy is the war itself. My father also went on to help many people for many years after the war was over. To judge him only by his war time military career would be unfair and unjust.

McCain made a commitment to his country and he followed through with it. There is something to be said for that.

My vote still will not go to McCain but it will not be based on the fact that he served in Vietnam, like countless other individuals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: