Ozzie football fans batter refs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Ozzie football fans batter refs Reply with quote

Football umpires bashed at NT final
MATT CUNNINGHAM
August 17th, 2008

TWO umpires were tackled to the ground by spectators and then beaten with the goal umpires' flags after a Top End football final yesterday. Police were called to the Yirrkala football ground after the violence erupted following the preliminary final between Gopu and Baywara, which Gopu won by 63 points.

Witnesses told the Sunday Territorian the umpires were standing near the middle of the field after the final siren, when two men ran out of the crowd and attacked them. They were wrestled to the ground, punched in the head and then hit with the goal umpire's flags. Other supporters had to pull the men off the umpires. The umpires were then taken to the Gove District Hospital, where they were treated for bruises and lacerations to the head.

Police last night confirmed they were investigating the incident but no charges had been laid. The Sunday Territorian understands one of the alleged offenders was a Baywara player who had been suspended four weeks earlier for pushing an umpire.

Gove AFL president Syd Stirling said the league would hold a thorough investigation into the incident and the suspended player would have to face the GAFL tribunal. He said the incident had marred an otherwise outstanding year for the GAFL, with alcohol restrictions leading to a stronger competition.

"I'm extremely disappointed," he said. "It's been a terrific year and the standard of footy has risen 30 per cent with the introduction of alcohol permits." Mr Stirling said violent behaviour would not be tolerated at GAFL games. "My view would be those who were clearly identified and involved would be facing some sort of hearing," he said.

-----------------

For those who don't know, australian rules football is not proper football...
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm extremely disappointed," he said. "It's been a terrific year and the standard of footy has risen 30 per cent with the introduction of alcohol permits."

Not sure if that is the way I want the standards of my footy raised!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: