Galloway in Iran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Galloway in Iran Reply with quote

Iran legally entitled to develop nuclear energy, says UK MP
tehrantimes.com
30/06/08

London (IRNA) -- Iran is legally entitled to develop nuclear energy under the Non-Proliferation Treaty, according to a British MP visiting Tehran for the first time. George Galloway, who was expelled from Britain’s ruling Labor Party for his outspoken opposition to the Iraq war, also criticized the hypocrisy of Israel’s belligerence towards Iran, which has its own illegal stockpile of nuclear weapons.

Speaking before his visit, Galloway said that during his trip to Iran, he hoped to meet parliamentary speaker, Ali Larijani, former secretary general of the Supreme National Security Council. “Larijani proved beyond even the CIA’s attempt at contradiction that Iran is acting entirely within her legal rights to develop nuclear power,” he said in his weekly column for the Scottish Daily Record newspaper. “As a signatory to the treaty governing the development of nuclear weapons, Iran has done nothing wrong under it either, at least according to the watchdog maintained by the international community, the IAEA,” said the 54 year old Scottish MP. “Israel, on the other hand, refuses to sign the nuclear weapons treaty and thus, with a chutzpah which takes the breath away, claims it’s not in breach of it,” he said.

After being expelled from Labor, Galloway was re-elected in 2005 as a MP for Bethnal Green and Bow constituency in east London for the anti-war Respect Party, which he set up. He said that in his column next week he would write about “the great civilization that is Persia, which hasn’t attacked another country for more than 300 years, not a boast we can make ourselves.” -

---------------------

I'm sure there will be some great speculation on the blogs about this trip over the next few days - if you see anything related, feel free to post it.
luke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm Off To Iran Before Israel Bombs It

BY the time you read this, I will be in Iran. I've never been there before, never met an Iranian leader - I don't even like the present Iranian leadership - so remember all that, because it might become important.

I'm determined to do my bit for the anti-war effort. We need another war like Gordon Brown needs another by-election.

But the Sunday papers were again full of Israeli war games and threats as speculation mounts of a massive bombardment of yet another Muslim country.

I'm going for the first anniversary of Press TV, on which I present two programmes - Comment at 10.30pm on Thursdays and The Real Deal at 10.30pm on Sundays.

This week I hope to meet Ali Larijani, formerly Iran's nuclear negotiator, now speaker of the Iranian parliament and, I hope, the next president.

Larijani proved beyond even the CIA's attempt at contradiction that Iran is acting entirely within her legal rights to develop nuclear power.

As a signatory to the treaty governing the development of nuclear weapons, Iran has done nothing wrong under it either, at least according to the watchdog maintained by the international community, the IAEA.

Israel, on the other hand, refuses to sign the nuclear weapons treaty and thus, with a chutzpah which takes the breath away, claims it's not in breach of it.

Yet last week, it acknowledged the truth first revealed by the Israeli hero Mordechai Vannunu, who spent nearly 20 years in solitary for telling us that they possess nuclear weapons in abundance.

Their brazenness about this reached its apogee when they publicly thanked France, in the diminutive form of Nicolas Sarkozy, for the decisive help they had given them (we ourselves gave them the heavy water technology) to enable to build their nuclear arsenal.

So let me run that past you. Israel, which has hundreds of nuclear weapons, seems to be planning to attack a country with none with the support of France, Britain and the US and all in the name of, er, checking the spread of nuclear weapons in that region.

You couldn't make it up, but alas you don't have to.

The Dr Strangeloves who've taken over the bunker have already done so.

Next week's column, should I survive, will no doubt tell you about the great civilisation that is Persia, which hasn't attacked another country for more than 300 years, not a boast we can make ourselves.

Iran is no broken-backed land enfeebled by decades of war and sanctions.

If attacked, she most certainly will defend herself and by all means necessary.

Fasten your seatbelts.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting story because it suggests that Israel/USA don't actually have any proof of weapons-grade production.
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
An interesting story because it suggests that Israel/USA don't actually have any proof of weapons-grade production.

I thought that was common knowledge. I can't bring to mind the exact figures, but Uranium needs to be enriched to about 4% to be used for nuclear power, and then to over 90% to be classed as weapons grade. Iran are at like 5% or something but most of the media ignore the fact that they only have regular uranium to give electricity and stuff. It's like threatening someone for owning a waterpistol.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's common knowledge, but this is tangible evidence that can't be denied... that gives it some power
luke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the crazy thing is even with this, and the american intelligence estimate thing ( can't remember the full name ) saying iran isn't pursuing nuclear weapons, and the iaea saying theres no evidence, the bush crew are stepping up covert operations in iran ( see the hersh thread ) - they're determined to hit iran, but we all know its got shit all to do with iran pursuing nuclear weapons anyway ... what will happen in the next 7 months ...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's called the National Intelligence Estimate, Luke. I remain hopeful that the all-too-rare voices of reason will keep the chicken hawks from propagating yet another illegal war on the world.
luke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats it major Smile whats even crazier is not that bush and his crew are pursuing their agenda, but the media misses important stuff like the national intelligence estimate and the iaea findings in their narrative, its reported - then its gone - its like it didn't happen ( down orwells memory hole ). they had a special on radio 4 the other day, they didn't mention either - its incredible how subservient and assisting the media are to power in pursuing their agenda - and without any sort of coercion or anything ... chomsky talks about some guys coming over from russia back in the cold war era and how surprised they were that the media framed everything as power wanted it to be - back home they said they had to pull peoples fingers out and break a couple of legs to get that kind of conformity, but in america, it just happened!

you know, every single report on iran should mention the nie and iaea and iran having signed the npt ( and that them having nuclear power is allowed under the npt ), and that the claims of iran purusing nuclear weapons are just that - claims made by the administration, but they're just not there - they're hardly mentioned
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disagreement there. I never see the argument framed based on the facts. The facts would dictate a wording such as

Quote:
Despite the findings of the National Intelligence Estimate (the product of roughly 16 intelligence agencies) and findings of the IAEA that there is no evidence Iran is developing a nuclear weapon, the Bush Administration continues to threaten Iran to stop developing nuclear energy, a right guaranteed under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty to which Iran is a signatory and has repeatedly pledged to adhere.

The problem with that wording is that it shows what utter shills to U.S. propaganda the media have become.

In case you're interested, Seymour Hersh was on Democracy Now yesterday (6/30) talking about Iran and the N.I.E. report. (link)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: