George Bush in UK - 15th of June
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: George Bush in UK - 15th of June Reply with quote

George Bush not welcome here on 15 June
STOP THE WAR COALITION
NEWSLETTER No. 1043
27 May 2008
Email office@stopwar.org.uk
T: 020 7278 6694
Web: http://www.stopwar.org.uk

1) GEORGE BUSH NOT WELCOME HERE ON 15 JUNE

War criminal George Bush will be visiting Britain on Sunday 15 June. No doubt he will receive a nauseatingly sycophantic welcome from Gordon Brown. The anti-war majority on the other hand will recall the hundreds of thousands who have died, the millions driven from their homes and the utter devastation resulting from the illegal attacks on Iraq and Afghanistan. Stop the War will be organising a very different kind of welcome - a protest that calls for George Bush to be put on trial for what is under international law "the supreme international crime" - "to initiate a war of aggression."

The protest will be in London on Sunday 15 June and will also call for an end to the British government's support for these shameful wars. We will publish full details of time and venue for our protest when we learn more of Bush's itinery. In the meantime, put the date in your diary and spread the word to encourage participation in the BUSH NOT WELCOME HERE protest.

-----------------

I'm sure the millions spent to provide security for this war-criminal will be something that all right-thinking people support!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's that video from Rage Against The Machine getting a mention again - nekokate, riding the wave of culture! haha
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protesters in Parliament Square clash with police as Bush flies into Britain
thisislondon.co.uk (owned by daily mail)

Police and protesters clashed violently last night at a rally against George Bush's farewell visit to Britain. Two hundred yards from Downing Street, where Mr Bush was dining with Gordon Brown, riot police confronted hundreds of protesters as they threw missiles and pushed against security barriers.

Three arrests were made and there were several injuries during the stand-off which began when more than 2,500 marchers converged outside the Houses of Parliament.

A row of barriers had been erected across Whitehall - which runs past Downing Street. That was backed up by two rows of policemen, two lines of police vans packed tightly across the road, and then a line of mounted police officers in front of another row of sturdy barriers. There was a sea of placards with slogans denouncing the U.S. leader as demonstrators chanted 'George Bush: terrorist' to the beating of drums.

Protesters who broke through the first line of barriers were seized by police officers, handcuffed and led away. Others wandered back from the front of the barriers, dazed and bloody. A 17-year-old girl was detained on suspicion of assaulting a police officer.

Protester Mary Robin, 61, said: 'There is never trouble at these things, but there were so many police officers it was like a war zone on our streets.' Suzanna Wylie, 29, from London, was left bleeding from a head injury. She said: 'We were standing near the front, the police shouted at us to move back, we tried but couldn't and they started hitting people on the heads with their truncheons. It was frightening. I somehow got hit. I was caught between the police in front of me and people behind me who were throwing things at the police.'

Members of the Stop War Coalition, CND and the British Muslim Initiative organised the rally which began with speeches from Tony Benn, Bianca Jagger and George Galloway. Many protesters were angry they had not been allowed to march past Downing Street but a police spokesman said Whitehall had been closed for two wreath laying ceremonies and 'security reasons'.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Chris Allison said that such was the terror threat that 'attacks such as the ones we have seen today are totally irresponsible as such behaviour can be used as cover for more sinister criminal activity. In this climate any activity to challenge the security of the President of the United States of America will be robustly responded to by police.'

-------------------

nyer
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That cop on the left looks a fantastic example of restraint... in fact, he's not that far off Chris Barrie in Red Dwarf, sneering away like a bawbag!

source: www.cliffhanley.co.uk
shillax

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, I think Tony Blair and George Bush have, in the last five years or so, double-handedly destroyed any semblance of mutual respect Britain and America had for each other for all those years since WW2. (Although USA stitched us up there but that's another matter)
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the couch.

shillax wrote:
(Although USA stitched us up there but that's another matter)

Does "stitched up" mean "helped out" or "set up?" I believe the latter is a bit closer to the truth, since Truman did dash off leaving the bill behind for the UK to pick up. (The war debt was only repaid in full quite recently).
shillax

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the latter for sure. 'America helped us win the war' - This is true, but in the same way the classroom bully helps out some smaller kid by making him give him all his sweets or he'll let even bigger bullies smash his face in. Nice.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your style shillax - haha
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-------------

Here's a pretty good quality video of Galloway's speech last week. It looks like an Ady Cousins recording, but I'm not sure.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
It looks like an Ady Cousins recording, but I'm not sure.

If it's a dog's-eye-view shot right up the speakers nostril you know it's Ady Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yeah, it's good that he has a recognisable style now though - his earlier stuff was sometimes pretty rough.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Time for answers
Jun 23 2008 George Galloway

I WROTE to the police after the anti-Bush demo in Whitehall, demanding an inquiry into what would have been a peaceful march but which ended in a frenzy of baton wielding. At the time, I thought the police had made tactical blunders and we were dealing with incompetence. Now allegations have emerged of something more serious.

The weekend's papers carried the story of a high-ranking police officer in our ranks, charging his colleagues and exhorting others to push against the barricades. I know he exists, because for a time he was standing next to me. I remember him because he was chanting "Kill the Pigs", which I thought was very last century. I remember confirming to myself that he was clearly not an American by his accent and wondering as I looked at his rucksack, if he didn't have some troubles for us in it.

Writing in a weekend newspaper, a woman who had danced in a club with the man revealed he had boasted about how important he was in the police. I am meeting Scotland Yard soon to discuss my complaints. I will write to the Home Secretary today demanding a Home Office Inquiry into the use of agent provocateur against the British peace movement.

I had a quick look for these other stories regarding this infiltrator cop, but haven't seen anything - has anyone else? It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was, but I can't see any 'high-ranking' officer doing it...
luke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Was 'friend' who yelled abuse at police on anti-war demo a stooge or a thug, asks writer

Last Sunday afternoon in Parliament Square, Central London, and several thousand anti-war protesters were gathered to mark President George W. Bush's last official visit to Britain.

The crowd was, as usual, relaxed, supportive and friendly. So friendly that some people reckon an anti-war demo is a good place to find a partner. It certainly beats internet dating.

The man I was to meet that day, however, left me angry and bemused.

At the start, the demo - organised by Stop The War Coalition, CND and the British Muslim Initiative - was peaceful, if lively.

Many protesters came with hooters, drums, screeching whistles and saucepan lids - every one of them passionately opposed to the invasion of Iraq.

But looming over us ominously was a heavy security presence: riot police, armed officers, even snipers on rooftops.

These days it appears permissible to wave a gun at Britons exercising their democratic rights.

The plan was to walk up Whitehall and deliver a letter to Downing Street, where Bush was meeting Prime Minister Gordon Brown. No chance. We found the road cordoned off with two rows of railings and columns of policemen.

As a throng of protesters built up by the barriers, an extremely animated demonstrator in a white T-shirt caught my eye.

He was near the front screaming abuse at the police and trying to get a friend further back to join him. The second man sheepishly refused his encouragements to edge forward.

The man in the T-shirt was tall, well-built and handsome, smiling but with a hint of menace. He pushed aside children and elderly people.

He continued to shout slogans such as: 'Pigs Out.'

On his back was a black rucksack and he carried a professional-looking camera with a large telephoto lens. Hardly the sort of kit for a few snaps of his day out.

My friends and I, standing a few rows back, asked him a couple of times to calm down, but he ignored us.

I wondered why I was drawn to him. Was it his dark good looks or was I worried for the safety of my 70-year-old friend and children nearby?

Then it dawned on me. I had met this man at a party. I tapped him gently on the shoulder and said: 'Have we met before?'

Instantly he recognised me. 'Hi, how are you? It's really nice to see you here.'

My puzzlement grew. This chap wasn't really the sort you'd expect to see shouting abuse at police officers at an anti-war demo. He was, after all, a policeman himself - and a high-ranking one at that.

I'd met the police inspector at a party around last Christmas. The local mayor was there, along with councillors from other parties and journalists. I'd been asked along by a friend.

Later, we went to a local gay club, where I danced with him and a few others until 3.30am.

He had a bolshie charm, was cocky and a little manipulative. He was also highly entertaining, bragging about his work in the police and how important he was.

I remained bemused about his presence at the demo. I asked if he would send me copies of his demo photos. He replied: 'No, they're to put on my bedroom wall.'

I then casually asked why he was shouting anti-police slogans.

'Funny you chanting that,' I said, 'when you're a policeman.'

They don't have my sort in the police, love,' he said camply, so I would assume he was referring to being gay. A few seconds later, he melted into the crowd.

I wondered whether he was at the demo undercover, deliberately whipping up trouble that he could capture on camera. That would then be used to malign anti-war protesters as dangerous and violent subversives.

Of course, it is possible he was there off-duty to support the anti-war cause, but it is hardly likely he would enjoy chanting slogans against the police.

Equally, he could have been legitimately monitoring the crowds, but again he surely would have been quieter.

I realise there are times when the police need to work undercover if they suspect a crime is being committed. But that is quite different to going into a crowd as an agitator to create disruption.

I went home from the demo feeling furious and did a little research into him. It turns out that he is on more than nodding terms with controversy.

A year ago he advertised himself on the internet looking for sexual contacts with men.

There are plenty of gay policemen - which is to be applauded - but few advertise themselves as such on the internet. It isn't sensible, let alone dignified. Still, I expect the uniform is an extra marketing tool.

I also found out that he is no mere rank-and-file officer.

Last week, it was reported that police at the demonstration had made 25 arrests - including a 60-year-old woman for indecent exposure.

Ten officers suffered minor injuries and two protesters were taken to hospital.

Stop The War has organised about 20 marches in the past, all of which have been peaceful. This is the first where there has been violence.

I cannot say this man was responsible for the trouble, but I saw him try his best to urge the crowd forward.

It is hard not to despair at the remarks of the Metropolitan Police's Deputy Assistant Commissioner Chris Allison, who told reporters: 'We are seriously disappointed by the irresponsible and criminal action of those who have challenged police ... We have done nothing but negotiate to make their demonstration a success.'

But however you look at it, the thuggish behaviour of the man I saw is hardly what you expect of someone employed to protect the public.

Our civil liberties are being eroded daily. The likes of this man are playing a part in destroying the few we have left.

If our security relies on idiots like him creating their own evidence to reinforce fear, who can we trust?

LINK

anyone remember last year in canada when the police got caught out having agent provocateurs in the crowd?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: