Problems with Ebay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Problems with Ebay Reply with quote

I just went to check on a few things and found out that the account of some character I bought a processor from has been cancelled, without me getting the chip...

I'm hoping the payment will be protected, but I've never had a problem on ebay before - has anyone else?
nekokate

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had all sorts of eBay problems over the years. Only been properly ripped off once, though, and that was my fault because I decided to send someone cash in the post and they just disappeared off the face of the earth. That was technically against eBay rules, too, so they couldn't help me.

If someone's account has been cancelled you should be able to get your money back. Did you pay with PayPal?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, I paid with paypal and I notice they have a £150 cashback insurance option, so hopefully I'll be fine.

Thing is, the chip cost £45 and just after I paid for it I was thinking 'ah crap, why did I buy that when I could put it towards a whole new computer?'. So it might turn out well...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face, I had this happen to me once and managed to get my moneyback via Paypal. Just had to fill out some online complaint thing, and it all got sorted in under a week. Might be worth giving it a go.....
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done that now - what got me was that the account seemed to be in the UK, but only when the payment went through did I realise it was in Poland. The fact that he covered his identity like that suggests he was up to no good from the start.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right Face. People who go to those lengths to hide who they are are usually up to no good. Let us know how you made out with getting your money back.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this.

I think paypal make an admin charge (around £7.50 - £12.50) per claim, but other than that, since you bought off ebay, then you should be OK

I have been lucky on ebay so far .. though I am waiting on a few items I ordered last week, so I had better not tempt fate.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise they put a price on fixing problems, but I suppose it's better than losing out altogether.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knock on wood, I've never had a problem. At least I've not had a problem being ripped off. I've had something take way way too long to arrive, but that happened like once. Good luck to you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
I think paypal make an admin charge (around £7.50 - £12.50) per claim, but other than that, since you bought off ebay, then you should be OK

Unless they've changed their policy in the last 6 months then this isn't correct. I've got my money back no problem at all from PayPal in the past, and so have both my mum and dad when they had dealings with dodgy types.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Mandy wrote:

Unless they've changed their policy in the last 6 months then this isn't correct. I've got my money back no problem at all from PayPal in the past, and so have both my mum and dad when they had dealings with dodgy types.

I am remembering an old thread I read somewhere, i.e. an old policy at PayPal .. but I now recall that if PayPal catch the person with enough money in their PayPal account, they will deduct the admin fee from that person's account .. so making the claimant whole.

I will try to find some 3rd party info on this ..
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe PayPal's approach is presented in
https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_pbp-outside#pbp-policy

It doesn't mention an admin charge, so maybe that was an old policy.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, well let's hope it's gonna be sorted without payment then.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had less good luck recently with eBay. Only once have I not received what I ordered (an Xbox). The other problems were products that didn't match the description. The Xbox was refunded by my Credit Card company. Another time the seller gave a fully refund (including shipping). So I find it to be more hit than miss.

If you don't get satisfaction through eBay or Paypal, faceless, don't forget your CC company. They have an interest in ensuring you're comfortable using your card online without fear of getting ripped off.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Garry that if a credit card is used, then the CC company is always a final fallback.

FYI : http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/sep/18/yourrights.legal3

Always worth claiming, even if under the £100 needed to be protected under the Consumer Credit Act.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: