Anti-fur activists target Beyonce

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Anti-fur activists target Beyonce Reply with quote

Two animal rights campaigners have been ejected from a restaurant in New York after confronting singer Beyonce Knowles about her love of fur coats.

The members of People for the Ethical Treatment Animals secretly won an eBay auction offering dinner with the star.

They spent several minutes asking a stunned Knowles why she wore fur and why it was used by her fashion label.

Knowles remained silent as her mother and sister defended her, before the activists were asked to leave.

A video of the meeting at the upmarket Nobu restaurant was made by the campaigners and obtained by the American website TMZ.com.

During the meal, they also tried to use a portable DVD player to show Knowles footage of animals being killed for their fur.

The opportunity to eat with the singer was offered by the VH1 music channel, as part of an auction which would benefit its Save the Music Foundation.

A spokesman for Knowles said the 24-year-old had no comment to make about the meeting.

-----------------------------------------

I think she'll probably think twice in future about offering herself up as a dinner date, even to help a charity.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the message they were trying to get a across but I don't like the method they used for doing it.
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
I love the message they were trying to get a across but I don't like the method they used for doing it.

I think bringing the dvd to dinner was probably a bit much. Sad
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a great way to do it - embarassing the idiot might actually make her think about what her company is responsible for.

I tried to find the video but it's not on the tmz website any more. I'm sure it will turn up.
lilycup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I think it was a great way to do it - embarassing the idiot might actually make her think about what her company is responsible for.

I agree, it was a great way to do it. If they didn't do things like this, they wouldn't be in the news. This needs to be in the news more, and by doing things like this, and throwing flour etc, it will be.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the video - jerky as it is - and from what I can hear they didn't insult or harass her in any way, they just pointed out facts in a calm and reasonable manner and asked her opinion on it, but she clammed up tighter than a gnat's arse.

here's a direct download link if anyone wants to give it out:

http://couchtripper.com/forum/files/beyonce_dinner_589.wmv
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as brutal as I thought it might be and as I said I do like the message they're trying to get across since I'm totally against wearing fur.

The thing that bothers me is it was sneaky and obviously made her feel extremely awkward, which will inadvertently put her off from doing it again and charities will lose out.

Anyone old enough to buy fur knows they're wearing a dead animal on their back, and if they're willing to do that then they don't really care much about the issue at all. That's what I find most disgusting, and people that claim to be animal lovers that wear fur are just hypocrites in my book.

If they loved them or had any caring at all they'd not support the murder of these innocent creatures so they can boast their wealth or make a fashion statement. It's truly barbaric and in this day and age you'd think most would know better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: