Should I Smoke Dope?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Should I Smoke Dope? Reply with quote

I watched this last night and thought it was pretty interesting. I'll upload it later if anyone wants it?
luke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i watched this as well, yeah pretty interesting - i've only scanned the article but it seemed to pick up on the negative stuff without looking at the positives - which you kinda expect from the daily mail

Quote:
"Also, there is no doubt that cannabis has got stronger - over the past few years, home-grown cannabis has been genetically altered so that it contains 10 to 15 per cent THC, whereas naturally-grown cannabis contains only 3 to 5 per cent.

this genetically altered stuff is bollocks, unless you'd also call crossing one type of apple tree with another 'genetically altered' - its what farmers have done for thousands of years, its what happens in nature by chance - crossing plants to create offspring with certain characteristics - a quick flower, a big harvest, resilience to pests etc ... they wouldn't call the apples in asda 'genetically altered' because they crossed strains to create apples that don't bruise easily and travel well and look nice for longer ( even if they're tasteless! ) ...

i've spoke to quite a few old timers over the years regarding strength, and overall weed quality is better - but its to do with growing techniques than any 'genetically altered' nonsense - back in the old days weed came from all over, thailand, lebanon, afghanistan, nepal etc - this was just stuff growing wild or looked after by local people, it was quite often heavily seeded because they never bothered taking out the males so the females got pollinated and started producing seeds instead of flowering ( growing the buds ) - it was also quite often really twiggy ( because the buds never had the chance to fully develop ), it was grown under the sun and cropped whenever. the early smugglers tried to teach the locals how to produce better gear, take out the males, check harvest times - pick when ripe etc. nowadays people understand the plants better, the growing equipment is light years ahead of where it was even a decade or so back - so you're just getting more efficient growing, better 'farmers' if you like, but because you're giving the plants optimum growing conditions, sorting the humidity and temperature, giving them decent lights with the correct light spectrums at different stages of growth, proper nutrients, new growing mediums like coco fiber, rockwool, clay pebbles or hydroponics etc - that doesn't make it 'genetically altered'

sorry, rant over Embarassed but when they use 'genetically altered' is makes it sound like some sort of weird monstano style genetically modified bud! Shocked
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you just making a joke, Luke, or did you know Monsanto (apparently) produces genetically-engineered Marijuana?

Quote:
Monsanto's marijuana

The US-based Monsanto corporation became infamous last year when the public discovered that the huge pharmaceutical company was responsible for producing Agent Orange during the Vietnam war, for producing and selling Roundup to be sprayed on South American villages, for experimenting with dangerous genetically modified foods, and – most recently – for creating the dreaded "terminator" seed.

Terminator seeds are genetically engineered to produce a plant that will not produce viable seed, meaning that growers would be forced to go back to Monsanto each year to buy more seed stock to replant. Governments and public alike became wary of the concept when it was discovered that the terminator seed could possibly cross the species barrier, possibly spreading infertility among the plant kingdom like a disease.

Cannabis seeds from Monsanto are almost definitely genetically engineered. Genetically engineered plants can be patented, and it is in Monsanto's best interest to hold a patent on any seed they sell. Seed patents ensure that companies like Monsanto can continue to profit from seeds from year to year, as farmers are legally bound to buy patented seeds from the patent holder rather than simply store them from the last year's crop.

I could count the number of times I've tried weed on one hand. But I did learn a thing or two:
a) the results are highly psyco-sometic (sp?) -- if you're afraid you'll have a bad trip, you probably will
b) those who say that medical use of the drug is so that people can "space out" so they don't have to think about their problem are dead wrong. It has real physical (non-psychological) effects. You don't see purple elephants (at least *I* didn't). For those suffering chronic pain, a joint a day must be pure bliss.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually yeah i was joking ... but it doesn't surprise me, people have used cannabis for thousands of years for medicinal reasons - the company that can make a working synthetic version will be make a mint ( the ones so far have apparently been rubbish ) - i know the american government grew ( and probably still does ) various plants - one apparently got cloned and made it to the outside world - its known as g13, or thats what the seed bank reckons - its probably just a made up story to sound nice and give it an extra selling point

Quote:
For those suffering chronic pain, a joint a day must be pure bliss.

i've probably said this before ( so sorry if i have! ), but i used to have a flatmate whos mum has ms ( i think ) - every mothers day he would take her some weed and she'd have a smoke, it was the one day a year she was able to go horseriding. none of the drugs from the doctors got anywhere near that - but she didn't like breaking the law so just does it that one day a year. i knew another guy, he had ms - same thing, it helped him so much. unfortunately he died a few years back
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
...but she didn't like breaking the law so just does it that one day a year.

Unless I'm wrong, it may only be possession of the drug which is illegal. In which case, as long as the gets rid of it quick-like, she's probably on solid ground. Laughing

It's great that she gets to feel healthy (MS-free) at least one day each year.

Is it legal in GBR for medicinal use? Although there are some snags (such as where you acquire it), I think it's pretty much legal (for medicinal use, that is) here in Canada. The rumour I heard is that they grow it in abandoned mines.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like your style major, just neck it all quick time and be rid of the evidence Laughing

i'm not really sure where the law is in this country regarding medical use - i know in america in some states you can get if from the government or get a license to grow, but here i've seen quite a few stories of medicinal users getting busted - although sentences vary. a guy up the road from me used to grow for medical reasons, he got busted, but they just took the growing equipment away and that was that - he got rumbled because of the smell ( which he could have prevented with a £30 carbon filter! and he knew the guy who ran the local grow shop so no excuses! pure slackness! )

canadas got quite a big home grow community, a lot of canadian growers have been worrying recently as theres been quite a crack down - something to do with the electricity companies tracking usage ( big grows can use a lot of electric - they can use up to a thousand watt bulbs for 12/18hours a day! ) and them and the government being able to check the place out on some sort of safety grounds i think

i should move to holland really ... although its getting more difficult to grow out there, although i think you'd be alright with a little setup for personal use Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: