Jack the cat takes on a black bear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Jack the cat takes on a black bear Reply with quote

WEST MILFORD, N.J. (AP) -- At least one bear in West Milford doesn't want to know Jack.

Jack is a ten-year-old orange-and-white tabby. And when the cat spotted the bear in a neighbor's yard, the clawless kitty took action.

The bear scurried up a tree on Sunday and eyed the cat for 10 to 15 minutes, while Jack stared and hissed from the ground. The bruin inched its way down before jumping off and running away.

But Jack chased the bear into the brush and up another tree.

That's when Jack's owner realized what was happening and called her cat. The bear took off as Jack rubbed up against its owner and the neighbors.

Jack's owner, Donna Dickey, tells The Star-Ledger of Newark Jack considers the area his turf and doesn't want anyone in his yard.

----------------------

Pics: 1. Our story begins in West Milford where Jack the cat surveys the yard from his command post ... a basket on the kitchen windowsill.

2. You'd think that Jack is just like any other mild-manner tubby tabby. He doesn't even have any front claws.

3. The common black bear: Scourge of many Jersey homeowners. Most cower in fear when a bear lumbers into the backyard looking for a snack ...

4. ... but not Jack. The terrible tabby went after this bear and treed it. Hooray for Jack, friend of Jersey homeowners.
The End.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wicked story lol I loved it. Thanks for sharing Ally Smile Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha yeah, that is a good one for sure. You don't need to be a yogi to know that bear made a booboo (sorry!)
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story!
However, cats not having front claws is no big deal as they generaly fight with their back claws Smile

It's THE PUSSY PATROL!
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Great story!
However, cats not having front claws is no big deal as they generaly fight with their back claws Smile

I can't agree with you on this I'm afraid, it is a big deal to a cat to be declawed. We'd consider declawing a cat inhumane and an unnecessary mutilation in the U.K. Seems to me the U.S. is way behind much of the civilized world in its attitude toward declawing of cats though.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

declawing cats takes away their defense if you allow them to be outdoor cats at all, but if you ever had a big giant wicked kitty like my family has, the claws really friggin' hurt when all of them are imbedded in your legs just because he gets in a pissy mood all of a sudden. Our dear kitty has ruined many a door screen too. instead of kitty ears, he has horns. Still, he has his claws. :grr: :grr:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally wrote:
Skylace wrote:
Great story!

I can't agree with you on this I'm afraid, it is a big deal to a cat to be declawed. We'd consider declawing a cat inhumane and an unnecessary mutilation in the U.K. Seems to me the U.S. is way behind much of the civilized world in its attitude toward declawing of cats though.

You take the statement wrong. I don't like declawing at all and thinks it's terrible. Him being declawed on the front though is no big deal to him being able to fight however, since they fight with their back claws.
I am against declawing or cropping or anything on any animal.
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:

You take the statement wrong. I don't like declawing at all and thinks it's terrible. Him being declawed on the front though is no big deal to him being able to fight however, since they fight with their back claws.

You're right that in this case it wasn't a big deal because the bear was more afraid of Jack and hurrah for Jack for being so brave and fierce! But I wouldn't underestimate the value of front claws because they serve as supporting clamps, brakes, and hooks for a cat. I think claws can be lifesavers, and if needed can help a cat to climb to safety as well.

Anyway I love the story and Jack the coolest cat around! Very Happy
lilycup

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally wrote:
Skylace wrote:
Great story!

I had to add my two pennies. I completely agree with you. I volunteer for a cat rescue, and until I moved to the US, I had never even heard of declawing.

You would not believe the amount of cats that have been declawed, and have behavioral problems. It's terrible.

Ok, I'll stop myself before I rant.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally wrote:
Skylace wrote:

You're right that in this case it wasn't a big deal because the bear was more afraid of Jack and hurrah for Jack for being so brave and fierce! But I wouldn't underestimate the value of front claws because they serve as supporting clamps, brakes, and hooks for a cat. I think claws can be lifesavers, and if needed can help a cat to climb to safety as well.

Anyway I love the story and Jack the coolest cat around! Very Happy

He most definitely is!

As for the declawing, that's what scratching posts are for! And don't make me go on about people cropping poor dogs tails and ears.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked again and saw the cat at the bottom of the tree there... what a cool bastard! haha
Ally
'Taffia'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

I just looked again and saw the cat at the bottom of the tree there... what a cool bastard! haha

What's even funnier is that Jack has done this more than once!!

Go Jack!! Smile

Here's another story on Jack!

Quote:
Saturday, June 10, 2006
WEST MILFORD, N.J. - A black bear picked the wrong yard for a jaunt, running into a territorial tabby who ran the furry beast up a tree - twice.

Jack, a 15-pound orange and white cat, keeps a close vigil on his property, often chasing small animals, but his owners and neighbors say his latest escapade was surprising.

"We used to joke, 'Jack's on duty,' never knowing he'd go after a bear," owner Donna Dickey told The Star-Ledger of Newark for Friday's editions.

Neighbor Suzanne Giovanetti first spotted Jack's accomplishment after her husband saw a bear climb a tree on the edge of their northern New Jersey property on Sunday. Giovanetti thought Jack was simply looking up at the bear, but soon realized the much larger animal was afraid of the hissing cat.

After about 15 minutes, the bear descended and tried to run away, but Jack chased it up another tree.

Dickey, who feared for her cat, then called Jack home and the bear scurried back to the woods.

"He doesn't want anybody in his yard," Dickey said.

Bear sightings are not unusual in West Milford, which experts consider one of the state's most bear-populated areas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: