Problems Ethiopians face in Israel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Problems Ethiopians face in Israel Reply with quote

*link expired
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading reading this BBC news article on the rise of racism in Israel:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7136068.stm

There is a similar article on Haaretz:
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/932384.html

Although the two articles address anti-Arab racism, I think it also applies (to a lesser degree) to Israel's treatment of Ethiopian Jews.

On a tangent, does anyone know if the term "absorption minister" (from the original article) is an official title? Is it the same as Immigration Minister?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for posting that nico - but it's good to see that at least some effort is being made to sort it. But those kids will always be treated as second-class by the school from the sounds of things.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
cheers for posting that nico - but it's good to see that at least some effort is being made to sort it. But those kids will always be treated as second-class by the school from the sounds of things.

Yep .. and they are 3rd class citizens in Israeli society (after emigrees from Europe and then Arab countries)
t.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:

Yep .. and they are 3rd class citizens in Israeli society (after emigrees from Europe and then Arab countries)

Oh I don't know Mandy, I'm fairly certain even Ethiopian jews get better treatment than the muslims

unless of course you mean Arab jews, from my experience they're treatment is not so bad
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t. wrote:
Mandy wrote:

Oh I don't know Mandy, I'm fairly certain even Ethiopian jews get better treatment than the muslims

unless of course you mean Arab jews, from my experience they're treatment is not so bad

Yes, I meant
1st class : European Jews
2nd class : Arab Jews
3rd class : African Jews
4th class : "Arab" Israelis
5th class : Arabs from the west bank / Gaza
nico

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Ethiopian immigrants protesting Reply with quote

Ethiopian immigrants protesting discrimination block Petah Tikva streets
Some 1,000 demonstrators urge city's mayor to resign over discrimination at Petah Tikva schools, kindergartens.
Barak Ravid
Dec.12, 2007
haaretz.com

Some 1,000 Ethiopian immigrants demonstrated in front of the Petah Tikva municipality on Wednesday, protesting what they termed racist discrimination against members of the community at the city's schools and kindergartens. "Stop the racism," they shouted, while calling on Petah Tikva mayor Yitzhak Ohayon to resign. The protesters blocked several city streets. Israel Radio reported that the Petah Tikva police had received orders not to use force against the demonstrators.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert validated the sentiments of the Ethiopian community when he told the cabinet at the opening of its weekly meeting that "Ethiopian Jews' feeling that they have been wronged is not detached from reality, a reality that we must change."

Olmert spoke about the discrimination against Ethiopian-born students, referring to a recent discovery that four Ethiopian girls had been forced to study in complete isolation at a Petah Tikva religious school. "These stories compound the general distress felt by the Ethiopian children and the Ethiopian population within the Israeli society," the prime minister said, adding that this feeling is not devoid of truth, and is not isolated to a certain part of the country. There are problems and there are hardships. This coming January we will approve a new wide ranging program aimed at resolving some of the issues facing Ethiopian Jewry," he said.

Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni also addressed the issue, saying "this is not a problem confined to the four girls." Livni, who served as absorption minister in the past, maintains close ties with the Ethiopian community in Israel. She added that "there is an entire phenomenon of pure racism in the hiring of Ethiopian immigrants in the job market and the renting of homes to them. This discrimination forced them to concentrate in certain neighborhoods and harmed their integration."

On Saturday, Ethiopian immigrants disrupted a Petah Tikva school board ceremony meant to honor excellent employees. The immigrants were protesting the fact that the ceremony was being held precisely during the same week that the discrimination against the four young girls was revealed. Dozens of demonstrators arrived at the Petah Tikva cultural center and took over the stage, waving protest signs and shouting their objections, preventing the ceremony from taking place. Consequently, the Petah Tikva municipality decided to cancel the ceremony.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Israeli anti-'darkness' rally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: