Corrie - Curly Watts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Corrie - Curly Watts Reply with quote

'Curly Watts' wouldn't rule out Corrie return
Saturday, July 28 2007
By Daniel Kilkelly

Kevin Kennedy has revealed that he would never rule out a return to Coronation Street. The actor confirmed that he would be willing to reprise his role as Curly Watts on the ITV1 soap if producers approached him with a story that was strong enough. "I never say never. If they had a good story to tell, I can't see why not," Kevin told What's On TV. "Obviously it depends on how strong that story was. I'd like it to be a nice strong storyline."

Asked why he decided to leave the show in 2003, Kennedy replied: "I really wanted to do different things. Diversity was the name of the game for me and it has been up to now. I get to do so many different things, so I'm extremely happy." Kennedy was offered a number of musical roles after departing from the Street; starring in Chicago, The Rocky Horror Show and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

-------------------

I'm not sure if I'd be that bothered either way...
Twirley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember...why did his character leave? And what kind of storyline could they dream up that would be feasible to bring him back? Vera's death, maybe? Or...he's the real father of Paul (and not Terry!)
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't as long ago that he left here (in Canada) as in "real life." I recall there was trouble between Les and Emma's (Curley's wife?) Police partner -- her partner stitched Les up (with no small provocation) and she took her partner's side. I think she even purgered (sp?) herself which, when it was found out, got her "transferred" or sacked (I don't remember which).

Curley took Les's side, which caused tension between them. And they decided to make a clean break from the Street to try to salvage their marriage.

So I guess a way to write him back in would be to say that their marriage never bounced back...
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange he wouldnt rule out returning , because i would
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curly character was, IMO, kind of boring - he just seemed to be part of the furniture. If you want a lovable loser-type of guy, I think the Kirk character is far more fun to watch.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curly Watts campaigns for return to Coronation Street
14th September 2009

Former Coronation Street star Kevin Kennedy could be set to make a sensational comeback. Kevin, who played Norman 'Curly' Watts in the ITV1 soap, revealed that Coronation Street chiefs have discussed a return to the Street.

The 47-year-old, who became a Corrie legend with his portrayal of unlucky-in-love binman Curly for 20 years until 2003, has been in talks with Granada executives about reviving the loveable character. Kevin, who has had a well-publicised battle with alcohol addiction, could play a lead part as part of the show's 50th anniversary celebrations next year.

He said: 'It's been discussed at the highest levels and we're all in agreement Curly still has a tale to tell. But he's got to have a good reason to come back. The best soap storylines are where the audience is in on it but the other characters aren't. Say Curly comes back to the Street after getting out of jail. The viewers will know this but the Corrie residents won't. There would be loads of stuff to find out as the story unravels. I still live in Manchester and pop into the studios for a cuppa and to catch up on all the gossip when I'm nearby." Kevin is currently touring around the country with the Queen musical We Will Rock You.

Kevin, pictured in 2008, at the Coronation Street Out Of Africa DVD premiere in Manchester

A Coronation Street insider told The Daily Star: 'There would be loads of scope for Kevin to return. It has been discussed on quite a few occasions. Kevin is a very talented actor. Everyone is aware of the problems he had with alcohol but that is well behind him now. He has expressed a strong desire to come back to Corrie. The show's bosses could look at a big storyline as part of next year's 50th anniversary celebrations.'

However a spokeswoman for the show threw cold water on the prospect. She said: 'There are no immediate plans for Curly to return but with the 50th anniversary coming back next year we would never rule out the return of any favourite character.'

----------------

Looks like it's rumour season again...
Colston

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a small acquaintance with Kevin. I lived in the same street and drank in the same boozer and used to win the odd bet when Spurs beat Man Citeh again and again when I lived in the Rainy City in the early 90s.

Like myself he had an awful drinking problem and he went into rehab a couple of years after me. Last I heard he was still sober. I haven't had a drink for eleven years so I would think it is nearly ten for him if he hasn't resigned and resumed.
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Colston!! (and possibly Curly).
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos, Colston! Nice one...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Soaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: