Two Cheeks of The Same Arse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Two Cheeks of The Same Arse Reply with quote

I'm sure many regular listeners will have heard Galloway use the phrase "They're like two cheeks of the same backside" to describe Tony Blair and David Cameron and has claimed it as his own gag on a couple of occasions, but this file shows that he was telling a wee porky... I did send this in to the official site a few months back, but after hearing this joke repeated again (not to mention the story about his grandmonther!) I'm a bit pissed off that it's back in the rack again...

http://couchtripper.com/mp3/06-02-21%20-%20Manchester%20-%20Two%20Cheeks.mp3

Come on George, get some new gag writers!
edouard_g

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit about his Grand mother Emmigrating from the USA get pulled out regularly when the question of US bashing comes up.

He used it in a speech during a tour of the US which I have a recording of to connect with the audience presumably.

eD.
mickyv

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I’ve noticed that lately when using this phrase, he sometimes says it’s a phrase that he has popularised, rather than invented. With him being in the media, and using it so often, we can allow him the credit of bring it into common usage. (Also he uses it both about Brown & Blair, as well as Blair & Cameron.)

I actually also email him once, because I was concerned with the story he sometimes tells of being told by his father to never grapple with a chimney sweep as you end up covered in soot, which is exactly the same story/saying that Tony Benn tells about his father (!), so I asked if this was a common saying in his father’s generation, otherwise people might deduce that Tony & George are siblings ! I meant that last bit as a joke, but perhaps he took it the wrong way, as there was never an answer !

Yes the story about his mother is repeated so often, that it now very tedious to the ears, especially as he always quotes it in a respond to being accused of being anti-American, which I actually find very strange, because all this story surely demonstrates is that his, presumably Irish, (great?) grandmother, didn’t like the US either which is why she got the ship back home !
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickyv wrote:
Actually I’ve noticed that lately when using this phrase, he sometimes says it’s a phrase that he has popularised, rather than invented. With him being in the media, and using it so often, we can allow him the credit of bring it into common usage. (Also he uses it both about Brown & Blair, as well as Blair & Cameron.)

I actually also email him once, because I was concerned with the story he sometimes tells of being told by his father to never grapple with a chimney sweep as you end up covered in soot, which is exactly the same story/saying that Tony Benn tells about his father (!), so I asked if this was a common saying in his father’s generation, otherwise people might deduce that Tony & George are siblings ! I meant that last bit as a joke, but perhaps he took it the wrong way, as there was never an answer !

Yes the story about his mother is repeated so often, that it now very tedious to the ears, especially as he always quotes it in a respond to being accused of being anti-American, which I actually find very strange, because all this story surely demonstrates is that his, presumably Irish, (great?) grandmother, didn’t like the US either which is why she got the ship back home !

I'd noticed he'd used that term "I popularised the phrase" which was good at first, as he did really, but over time it's like he's laying claim to it as if it's an umbrella he found on a train.... "I popularised the use of this umbrella in the area of London, so therefore it's mine". I reckon the chances are that it's a well used phrase in Aberdeen, but I don't really know anyone from there, so I'm not sure.

There are plenty of people out in the world who would happily take his money to write lines for him that are fresh, genuine, and funny and I think he really should look at finding someone... and he'd be promoting productive British industry into the bargain!

Your point about his great-gran coming here is a cracker - I'd not thought about that before, haha
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah crap - he used the phrase in the Hard Talk interview and said he was "the originator" of the phrase again.
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard him say the phrase was told to him by a Scottish woman he met at a demonstration!

::EDIT::

OK, should have listened to the mp3 before I posted!!! D'oh!
Meta4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Scottish woman" bit is true. I think it's just one of those things that gets messed up when in the middle of an interview; he honestly does know he didn't make it up and only popularised it, and cos there's no mileage to be gained in him deliberately claiming credit for it (it's not as if he's not known as a good orator already), I think it's best to put it down to mid-interview-flow stuff.

Dunno what media experience people have, but as a trade unionist I've been interviewed by the media live before, and a strange thing happens - you can sort of go into a trance, as if you're channeling someone else through you. I dunno if that happens to GG, but it happens to me and after the interview, I think "what the hell did I just say to that person?"

Anyway, I've asked someone to give him a gentle dig in the ribs about it...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On tonight's show Galloway was lampooning David Icke for believing that 'giant lizards rule the planet', utterly dismissing him. But if anyone heard Icke on talkSPORT the other night they might have noticed that Icke actually used the 'Two cheeks of the same arse' line. James Whale told him it was probably from Galloway that he heard it and you could almost hear Icke's mind clank as he realised the potential of that...

I think this thread pwns them both! haha
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm on Galloway's side over Icke. He might have some interesting ideas, but as soon as you believe that intergalactic shape-shifting reptilian overlords rule the world then I don't give a fuck if everything else you say is genuis, you're still a complete whack-job.

It's like saying "Sure, he might be a pedo, but he's really good at maths, give him a break"... Er, no, I won't, thanks.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
but as soon as you believe that intergalactic shape-shifting reptilian overlords rule the world

I don't think David Icke even mentioned this on the air. I personally think he doesn't literally believe this, but he says it because it is a metaphor for the people behind the neo-cons/military industrial complex.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, he does believe it, or did at least. in his books he even has pics - they don't look like any bankers i've ever seen

you have to evaluate what he says, check the evidence and see why he's come to conclusions he has and make up your own mind - that he's wrong on some things shouldn't lead you to disregard everything he says. galloway talks utter crap on cannabis and a few other subjects, but that doesn't mean i don't listen to what he has to say on other subjects

i can lend you a book if you want neko, you might not agree with it but it should give you a laugh at the least - and some bits i'm sure you'll find interesting
luke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one of the pics in the book 'A painting by artist Hilary Reed of a reptilian entity described by witnesses'

now tell me this and condoleezza rice aren't related wink

alien.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: