mp's expenses and performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: mp's expenses and performance Reply with quote

thought some might be interested in this, see where your mp is - its an excel spreadsheet

galloway comes in at 611th out of 645 - he only spent £163 on postage, compared to siobhain mcdonagh ( never heard of them ) who spent £35,207! in total he spent £107,610 - the biggest spender was shaid malik at £184,421! the lowest claimed was £44,551 by philip hollobone

galloway ranked 599th out of 633 in 2006 for responding to people though!

http://www.writetothem.com/stats/2006/mps

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/george_galloway/bethnal_green_and_bow

Quote:

MPs Expenses - A New Hero Emerges

MPs expense figures have just been released.* Philip Hollobone (Con, Kettering) is the least expensive MP coming in at under £44,551. Liam Byrne (Lab, Birmingham Hodge Hill) is four times as expensive at £178,116.

Guido called Hollobone's office to try and figure out the anomaly:

Guido Fawkes "Is Hollobone there?"
Office "Yes."
Guido Fawkes "Can I speak to him?"
Office "Yes."
Guido Fawkes "Thanks."
Guido waits patiently.
Office "It is me."

It turns out that the reason he is some £23,340 cheaper than even Dennis Skinner (£67,891) is that he doesn't employ any office staff. He answers his own correspondence (he can type) and he says dealing with constituents is his favourite part of the job. So it is no surprise that he is rated in the top decile for responsiveness by WriteToThem.com, whereas Liam Byrne, despite all his staff and great expense, comes 158th.

According to data from TheyWorkForYou.com, Philip Hollobone

* Has spoken in 105 debates in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
* Has received answers to 194 written questions in the last year — well above average amongst MPs.
* Is a member of 2 select committees.
* Replied within 2 or 3 weeks to a very high number of messages sent via WriteToThem.com during 2006, according to constituents.
* Has voted in 87% of votes in parliament — well above average amongst MPs.

How is it that he can be an excellent constituency MP for a third of the average cost of the rest?

i know when i've emailed my mp in the past its taken ages to get a reply, and its never him but some staff member. i've never had a reply from the tory canidate - but usually my emails to her are pretty harsh Laughing

mpexpenses07.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mpexpenses07.xls
 Filesize:  203 KB
 Downloaded:  336 Time(s)

Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. GG mentioned on his TalkSport show that this is a scandal .. using tax payer funded postage to send greeting cards etc.. with the hope of influencing elections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: