Muslim Minister Stopped And Searched

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Muslim Minister Stopped And Searched Reply with quote

Muslim Minister Stopped And Searched
Monday October 29, 2007

Britain's first Muslim minister has been stopped and searched at a US airport - after attending a series of meetings on tackling terrorism. International Development Minister Shahid Malik, the MP for Dewsbury, said he was annoyed at being singled out, especially as the same thing happened to him in the US last year.

Mr Malik - and two other Muslim passengers - were taken aside at Dulles Airport in Washington DC. His hand luggage was analysed for traces of explosive materials. He was searched and detained by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) - the same department whose representatives he had been meeting during his visit.

Mr Malik said: "After a few minutes a couple of other people were also taken to one side. We were all Muslims - the other two were black Muslims, both with Muslim names." Mr Malik said he was particularly annoyed as a similar thing happened to him last year, when he was detained for an hour at JFK airport in New York by the DHS. This was despite the fact he was a keynote speaker at an event organised by the department, alongside the FBI and Muslim organisations in New York.

The theme of that speech was tackling extremism and defeating terrorism. Mr Malik said he received numerous apologies and assurances from US authorities after that incident. After his second detention, which lasted about 40 minutes, he said: "I am deeply disappointed. The abusive attitude I endured last November I forgot about and I forgave. But I really do believe that British ministers and parliamentarians should be afforded the same respect and dignity at US airports that we would bestow upon our colleagues in the Senate and Congress. Obviously, there was no malice involved, but it has to be said that the US system does not inspire confidence."

--------------------

I feel sorry for anyone who has a muslim name trying to enter US.
Pretty soon no muslim will wanna travel there. thinking
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have thought that government ministers would be just waived through without a question.
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How diplomatic :

Quote:
"But I really do believe that British ministers and parliamentarians should be afforded the same respect and dignity at US airports that we would bestow upon our colleagues in the Senate and Congress.

"Obviously, there was no malice involved, but it has to be said that the US system does not inspire confidence."

There was malice .. and why isn't he standing up for the rights of the other two muslims who got racially profiled ? He seems to want to get an exemption for himself, because he is now a "house slave". Short-sighted Self-interest.. that's all he seems to care about.
nico

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
You'd have thought that government ministers would be just waived through without a question.

It just shows the audacity of the US security. they have absolutely no qualm over who they humiliate. I remember sometime ago when Cat Stevens (now Yusof Islam) was denied entry because his name was on the US terror list which contradicts itself because if he is on the terror list then why not arrest him? Probabely even they know themselves how rediculous the allegation is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: