woman who phoned in about Tibet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: woman who phoned in about Tibet Reply with quote

A couple of weeks back a woman from Glasgow phoned in to one of the talkSPORT shows and had Galloway shouting at her over stuff to do with the Dalai Lama. Anyway, it turns out that she was the sister of a friend of mine, and after the call, a friend of hers wrote him an email detailing exactly where he was wrong and apparently got an apologietic reply admitting his mistake in return. Anyway, I said to my pal that I'd try and find the clip, but I can't remember the exact show, so if anyone knows that would be good.
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not got much to do this evening except card practice, so I'll have a scan through some recent shows and see if I can come up with the goods.

I'm quite interested in George's opinion of Tibet and the Dalai Lama, because I've heard conflicting views from other sources I respect - specifically Penn Jilette, who holds the opinion that the Dalai Lama is pretty much a fraud, a tyrant and an all round hypocritical bad-egg.

Russell Brand also keeps shouting on his show "China! Get out of Tibet! Get right out, don't stop when you're half out and think you've done enough! Get riiiiight out!" (I know Russell is not a credible source by any stretch of the imagination, but he's certainly no fool and is extremely well read).
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one, I had a quick look at the September 28th show, but no luck...

I'd like to find out more about the Dalai Lama too - especially after hearing a great line on a recent episode of Qi where Sean Lock called Bill Bailey 'the Dalai Farmer', it was funny at the time. haha
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget that China (as well as Russia) are the upcoming target of demonisation by the West .. so we should be careful not to fall for too much spin from the mainstream media.
nekokate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, Face, I have it:

22 September 2007 - Margaret from Glasgow on Tibet (CLICK)

And speaking of conspiracy theories - the only episode of Penn & Teller that is unavailable on YouTube is the one in which Penn disses the Dalai Lama! Crikey...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one - I'll send it on
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he has changed his attitude or belief on Tibet I think he should say so. A week or two later someone rang up, a bloke this time, and george rounded on him, saying that the Dalai Lama thought he was god, is undemocratic, wanted to destabilise china, and the rest, all of which is wrong.

Mandy, I will believe the Dalai Lama before any of the beligerent wankers in beijing, moscow, washington or london.

as a note, after meeting Angela Merkel in an official visit to Germany, against protest from beijing, he has been to washington to meet the dubya and receive the the top US civilian award - the Congressional Gold Medal, on 17th oct. I can help but think that this is a Rushdie like wind up, however,

"I am seeking a meaningful autonomy for the Tibetan people within the People's Republic of China," adding, "If the real concern of the Chinese leadership is the unity and stability of PRC, I have fully addressed their concerns," said His Holiness.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sauce wrote:
Mandy, I will believe the Dalai Lama before any of the beligerent wankers in beijing, moscow, washington or london.

So do I Smile
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought you might ;) , maybe I didn't put it very well but you know what I mean ..
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here she's on right now again and she's stirring up a wasp's nest - I reckon that someone is gonna get their arse kicked.

He shouldn't allow people to answer in his name without letting them know that it is not him that is writing.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get full disclosure on this? Can you get in touch with her and ask her to forward the email?

I'm asking because I was pretty pissed off with George just now listening to him put this woman down. She caught him in at least one hypocricy, and at least one lie, and his only response was, rather than to cut her off (which I suspect he would have preferred to do), use his debating skills to allow her only to speak in short bursts, thus putting her out of her stride and making it easier to dominate the argument. That's pretty much debating 101: interrupt often, and your opponent will forget where they were, and fluff their points.

He said the Dalai Lama considers himself to be God. He does not, and has never said that. George then tried to deny he made that assertion, then when he realised that the woman was in receipt of absolute proof that he DID say that, he tried to back out by blustering "Well, some of his supporters say it!"

As for the email response from "someone who signed it as me, but wasn't me"? What the fuck? Responses to enquiries by his staff is all well and good, but if he actually allows people to sign his name on letters and emails that he himself has never seen then I am about ready to lose some respect for him. (But that would only make him the 6th greatest man in the world rather than the 5th, lol, so no big loss!)

Seriously, though, as a staunch supporter of George, I think investigating the bad bits is even more important than the good bits - at the very least it will keep him in check.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with probably 80-90% of what he says. (A good portion of the remaining portion is taken up by his staunch support for Russia at all costs, including Chechnya.) I don't listen to catch him out -- but if he says something that's not right, it's worth pointing out. It's the exception rather than the rule.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll speak to her brother tomorrow and see if she'll forward the email on.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
I don't listen to catch him out -- but if he says something that's not right, it's worth pointing out. It's the exception rather than the rule.

That's exactly my position, too, Tom.

I'm often faced with stuff like "If Galloway told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?" etc., based on my enormous support of him, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I also agree with only about 80% of what he says, and I think it is extremely important to take issue with the things I don't agree with. At least if I go on record to disagree with him and point out his errors on the occasions they occur, no one can accuse me of following him blindly.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
that would only make him the 6th greatest man in the world rather than the 5th

who would the top 5 be? sherlock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: