US court rejects CIA kidnap case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: US court rejects CIA kidnap case Reply with quote

I think this is absolutely shocking! It gives the US government the right to almost do what ever they want, knowing they will get away with it!!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree Lost. It's disgusting. I had known about him before but he feel out of the news here. It will be interesting to see how much coverage this gets over here.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not heard of the guy before - it really is disgusting. I wonder if they released him in order that the story gets out that nothing can stop the "worldwide bully machine". 'We got the wrong man" doesn't make sense to me - it's not as if they were observing his rights in the first place, so why release him?
Mandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costs money and hassle to keep someone indefinitely .. especially when the spotlight is on you.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but bullets and shovels are cheap
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
yeah, but bullets and shovels are cheap

Exactly. The reason they did let him go is because this has been known about for quite sometime. I remember seeing it in the news when he first got out and then it quickly died away. Not to mention the German government knew about it and wasn't very happy at all. My aunt told us a lot more about it as they seemed to have more coverage. The couldn't just get rid of him because people knew he had been taken by more than just our government. So they had to. But they are blocking his attempts to show what was done to him.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, he was abducted outside of Germany, but not far off -- Macedonia, I think. Then he was transported to Afghanistan. Perhaps they released him because he was luckily known (or strongly believed) to be in U.S. custody early on.

This sounds like a case for the International Criminal Court, since the U.S. Supreme Court has abdicated its responsibilities.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
If memory serves, he was abducted outside of Germany, but not far off -- Macedonia, I think. Then he was transported to Afghanistan. Perhaps they released him because he was luckily known (or strongly believed) to be in U.S. custody early on.

This sounds like a case for the International Criminal Court, since the U.S. Supreme Court has abdicated its responsibilities.

The US exempted itself from the ICC .. but if the abductors (or ones who gave the order) were traveling overseas ..

Reminds me of the "Trial of Blair" docu-drama
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the U.S. only allowed the creation of the ICC if they were exempted from prosecution, but I thought it was only for 1 year. Germany could still move to have the CIA members extradited, but that would almost certainly be ignored.

Until there is equal application of law, as Chomsky says, the U.S. is effectively a rogue state. It's time to move the U.N., do away with the Veto and hold all criminals to account.
Mandy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
hold all criminals to account.

That's what the Nuremberg courts were all about .. no-one should be immune from the laws which were applied at Nuremberg. This is needed to prevent the law being seen as a weapon to be used as "victors' justice"
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
I understand the U.S. only allowed the creation of the ICC if they were exempted from prosecution, but I thought it was only for 1 year. Germany could still move to have the CIA members extradited, but that would almost certainly be ignored.

Until there is equal application of law, as Chomsky says, the U.S. is effectively a rogue state. It's time to move the U.N., do away with the Veto and hold all criminals to account.

I think that's what Germany tried but they were unsuccessful! The whole saga does indeed make the US look like a rogue state!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: