Double Whammy !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickyv

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Double Whammy ! Reply with quote

Just imagine if this happens & Tony Benn as well as GG get elected !!

The Left Strike Back !

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micky, I embedded that link - to do it, you do this:

Code:
[web]http://url[/web]

It would be great to see if he could get elected again, but in Kensington? I'm not surprised there's a vacancy for a Labour candidate!
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about this. Tony Benn is GREAT, but he will be standing for "new=anti-Labour"
mickyv

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Faceless, I was wondering how it was done.

Yes it may well be mission impossible, but we’re talking Tony Benn here ! Plus favourable boundary changes, and that 12,000 majority may go the way of Oona King’s 10,000 majority !

Rest easy Mandy, it would really be the start of reclaiming back Labour from it’s current hideous Thatcherite incarnation of New Labour.
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickyv wrote:
Rest easy Mandy, it would really be the start of reclaiming back Labour from it’s current hideous Thatcherite incarnation of New Labour.

I have had similar discussions in the past with ex and current Labour activists : Is it best to fight it or join it and change it from the inside.

I wonder how many people joined the Nazi party thinking they could change it.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony benn should fight as a respect candidate Smile how could he fight for the labour party as it is?

malcolm rifkind was against the war as well i think - he's one of the few tories i don't mind so much
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
tony benn should fight as a respect candidate Smile how could he fight for the labour party as it is?

malcolm rifkind was against the war as well i think - he's one of the few tories i don't mind so much

Yep.. Tony Benn should be fighting for Respect.
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be some great publicity for the respect party, getting someone like benn on board

funny really, the possibility of one extra left mp, out of what, 400 or more - and we all get excited!
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get excited because the other 400 might as well be called tories, or maggie's army
mickyv

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it really would be a tremendous scoop for Respect if he stood for them, and it would almost certainly encourage others, but I can’t see him giving up the fight to try & return Labour back to what it stood for, for most of the 50 years he was a member of it.

It would be an interesting philosophical point that Mandy raised; whetever it’s better to fight from within for change or to oppose from outside. However being subject to constant political flux, with constantly changing circumstances, it a question that cannot be debated by anybody other than those who know the present state of the Labour Party inside out, and who have their fingers on the pulse for likely possible directions.

But yes, I like the idea of Tony Benn, Respect MP !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: