Great article on the Jon Snow/Ahmadinejad interview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Great article on the Jon Snow/Ahmadinejad interview Reply with quote

luke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw the interview at the time, it really annoyed me - the medialens lot were all over it pulling it apart. i was emailing someone a while back who'd been emailing snow;

Quote:
He once responded to me with an email in which he said what a shame it was that it is the bad ones who have all the power. That sounded pretty defeatist to me and hinted at a Jon Snow who was simply riding out the rest of his C4 days before being put out to pasture.

In other words, I think Neil is right, he does what he does. Clearly he's an intelligent man with a sense of decency but all that is lost because, basically, I think he's given up. My advice to him was to stick to his principles and to the urgings of conscience but how do you do that and stay employed in this wicked system?

i did think originally that its people like snows fault, they let power get away with these crimes by not asking the right questions, putting things in historical context etc, but snow knows that if he didn't ask the 'right' questions, he wouldn't be doing the job he's doing now.

its like during the run up to the iraq war - that guy in america, phil donahue , who was sacked for his anti war views ( the memo was leaked )

i've kinda given up on mainstream media now, i rarely bother with c4 news anymore - its just not worth it
harry perkins

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like Jon Snow very much, I think he comes across as a very nice man and he has a fine principled past, so I think its a real shame that he and the show he anchors have seemed to become less, not more critical over the last four years of horror. I think this is because after fine liberal critics of the war such as him, and the mass anti-war movement, having demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt that the government were lying (from which followed that the whole war was literally a criminal act), were nonetheless unable to get rid of Blair or change the countries course. I believe Blair was kept in power long after he had any active use for governing the country to be a living symbol of demoralisation, as the establishment were worried that if he left prematurely it could undermine their position. But by leaving before the end of the third term, and in an orderly way (due to Labour being more in tune with the establishment's needs than the Tories when they bloodily purged Thatcher) he avoided a final showdown which the forces of light would have won.
I think this is the only explanation for why people who were not fooled by the Iraq lies are now acting as if they are fooled by the even flimsier lies about Iran.
The fact that we came so close must be particularly important in scaring and cynicising the likes of Snow; when Kelly killed himself it seemed like Watergate. Here's Snow's contribution to that more hopefull time; in my opinion it is his finest hour, his Senate:
http://www.channel4.com/news/article.jsp?id=262148
{Its just a transcript I'm afraid; amazingly I can't find the video on Youtube or Google)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: