The Kennel Club condemns Galloway
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: The Kennel Club condemns Galloway Reply with quote

The Kennel Club condemns MP’s views on so-called Dangerous Dogs
14-Aug-07
www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1348/23/5/3

The Kennel Club has condemned the comments of George Galloway MP, who has called for all dogs to be muzzled in public places. Mr Galloway’s colourful and provocative language, which included a call to ban “several more” breeds of dog, is an affront to the overwhelming majority of dog owners in the UK, who understand the responsibility that dog ownership brings.

In an interview with TalkSport on 6th August, Caroline Kisko, the Kennel Club Secretary, was invited to join programme presenter and Respect MP, George Galloway in his discussion on Staffordshire Bull Terriers and his call for an outright ban on the breed. The interview was prompted by the shocking attack on a girl in Plymouth by a dog last weekend.

Numerous listeners called in to support the Kennel Club’s stance, which is that a dog’s behaviour is the responsibility of the owner, and a whole breed cannot be blamed, judged, or condemned for the action of one dog. Caroline advised Mr Galloway that a dog’s behaviour, in any breed, can be good or bad, but that it is down to the way it is treated, arguing that the fault lies with the owner and their irresponsible treatment of the dog. However, Mr Galloway suggested that the only ‘sensible’ way to tackle the problem of attacks on children is to outlaw all terriers, ban all dogs from cities and for all dogs to be muzzled in public places.

None of these unenforceable suggestions would make society a better or safer place with dogs, as Mr Galloway was reminded during the interview. The Dangerous Dogs Act has done very little to protect the public from attacks by pit bull terriers, and is currently under review between the government, the Kennel Club and the major dog welfare organisations

Said Caroline Kisko: “Mr Galloway’s suggestions are ill-considered and would do very little to prevent further attacks. The only issue here is that of irresponsible dog ownership, something of which the Kennel Club is more than aware. We run two active schemes, the Good Citizen Dog Scheme and the Safe and Sound Scheme, both of which are aimed at combating any potential danger for people around dogs, and encouraging responsible dog ownership.”

-----------------

To listen to the call click this. thanks to Major tom for the original show as I'd missed the first hour that day...

LISTEN
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't mention the talkSPORT poll which put Galloway ahead of Gaunt's view (I think around 60 - 40)
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Mandy, but then - this picture says it all about the level of their argument.

luke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Galloway’s suggestions are ill-considered and would do very little to prevent further attacks

that doesn't really make much sense - i mean, if all dogs were muzzled, surely that would prevent further attacks?
popinjay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
Quote:
Galloway’s suggestions are ill-considered and would do very little to prevent further attacks

that doesn't really make much sense - i mean, if all dogs were muzzled, surely that would prevent further attacks?

Indeed. However I disagree with Galloway on this. I think the muzzle idea is an excellent one, but he seemed to be constantly on the verge of being totally disproportionate. He's said before that dangerous breeds of dogs should be put down. I think that's far too harsh. Animals have rights too.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muzzled, yes. Put down? That's pretty extreme. Dogs have rights. Not more than people, but certainly enough that breeds should not be rendered extinct.

There should also be stiff penalties for people who don't muzzle or who are seen abusing their dogs (laws for which exist already).

GG he may have taken it up to shift gears. But I'm not swayed by the ad above. Ad hominem attacks lose the argument. (GG was pretty short with the kennel lady, I think because she likened his position to an argument for ethnic genocide.)
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding "but certainly enough that breeds should not be rendered extinct" I am sure that George would never advocate extinction of a breed. An analogy is "lions" : Fine in zoos, in safari parks, but not in the home.

The idea of "putting down" might occur for some dogs if there is no place to put them (like what happens in an animal home for dogs which can't be found a home) .. but there is always an assumption that the breed isn't in danger (else it would be on some endangered species list and given special protection).

Also, the talkSPORT vote had George propose muzzling for dogs above a certain size (to be agreed) so not all dogs. This was a refinement after considering tiny dogs.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I recall him saying something to the effect of, better all dogs be put down than one girl be mauled. I don't remember the exact wording, though it was painted with quite a wide brush.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popinjay wrote:
He's said before that dangerous breeds of dogs should be put down.

i don't agree with that at all
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
I'm pretty sure I recall him saying something to the effect of, better all dogs be put down than one girl be mauled. I don't remember the exact wording, though it was painted with quite a wide brush.

I think I recall something along those lines.

This is the downside of live radio. Refinements such as adding clarifications (such as referring to all dogs in domestic environments) can be easily overlooked. I just assumed that zoos, safari parks etc. would be exempt.

If only GG passed every policy suggestion through his lawyers first ..
popinjay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
regarding "but certainly enough that breeds should not be rendered extinct" I am sure that George would never advocate extinction of a breed.

Right, but he advocated the confiscation of all illegal pitbulls and the killing of them. That's a disgrace. There are way better options than the death penalty.
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popinjay wrote:
Right, but he advocated the confiscation of all illegal pitbulls and the killing of them. That's a disgrace. There are way better options than the death penalty.

Doesn't the dangerous dogs act already say that "illegal" dogs had to be put down ?

I think this "death penalty" is a part of the existing law and was intended to be the "punishment" for someone who didn't follow the dangerous dogs act when it was introduced [I think there is a system of registration and/or muzzling in public].

Thus the confiscation and putting down of illegal pitbulls is what the current law says & George might have been pushing for it's implementation.

Whether that law makes sense, or is desirable, can be discussed.

Whether George meant all pitbulls, including "legal" ones, I am unsure.
nekokate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about, instead of killing all staffordshire terriers, just make it illegal to breed or sell them anymore? That way the ones that currently exist will eventually die of old age and there'll be none left in 20 years. And if they're muzzled in public, then the remaining ones won't bite any more kids. Surely that's the less radical way to go.

I don't want to see some barbaric mass cull, but I'd rather massive beasts that have a habit of occasionally going insane without warning weren't around. Seems pretty sensible to me.

Someone on the show last week made the point that most of the people ringing in to disagree were dog owners themselves who said things like "my terrier is huge but wouldn't hurt anyone", and he said "don't you think that the owner of the dog that attacked the little girl would have said exactly the same thing the day before it happened?"

It's a pretty good point, isn't it? I mean, how many dog owners are like "yea, my dog's mental, it's probably going to kill someone any day now"?? They all kid themselves that their dog is harmless.
popinjay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
popinjay wrote:

Doesn't the dangerous dogs act already say that "illegal" dogs had to be put down ?

Probably. That's fairly irrelivant though. It doesn't make it anymore morally justified.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once got into a situation with a flatmate of mine because I thought he was being an arse to say I was wrong to say that I told his dog to get off a chair so I could sit down. I used to have a dog and saw him through 13 years of fun and enjoyment, but I'd never have let him have a seat while a person sat on the floor.

My point is that dogs are not on the same level as humans and the minute they are allowed to think so is the minute they can become dangerous (especially if they are pre-disposed, through breeding, to aggression). There was a clip in the recent 'Top Gear Polar Special' where the owner of a group of huskies was seen beating them with a stick - and I challenge anyone to say that she didn't control them and stop the problem becoming larger. Dogs are animals and they can be great, but I'm 100% behind the idea of not allowing people to have one that isn't controllable by them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: