I need a geek's opinion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: I need a geek's opinion Reply with quote

I would like to clean up my pc and was wondering what software any of you geeks recommend? You know like registry edit and such.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend fooling around in the registry if you're not comfortable doing so, much less let any programs do it for you. Would I be correct in interpreting your desire to "clean up" as too many programs, or do you suspect you have malicious software on it and aren't sure how to get rid of it?

How long have you had your computer?

For viruses or trojans, you're best off backing up all your data, formatting your C drive and re-installing Windows. That's the best way to be sure you're rid of it.

When you're backing up, don't forget to save:
- your My Documents folder
- if you use Outlook, your mailbox (in c:\documents and settings\<userid>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst, I think)
- your bookmarks/favourites (Firefox puts them in c:\documents and settings\<userid>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles\<some_random_name>\bookmarks.html; IE uses c:\documents and settings\<userid>\favorites\)
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now't like a quick format Smile

i agree with major tom about registry editing. i've used some "registry cleaners" and always have had to do a system restore. waste of time they are.

c:\documents and settings\<userid>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{a large string blah blah blah}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

is where all your emails live if you use outlook express.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap cleaner, it's good and free - www.filehippo.com
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to find a way to make sure my registry was up to date/ Not motivated enough to reformat /re-install ...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're registry doesn't really need "updating." It's used by the Operating System and changes over time as you add/remove software, change program settings, etc. If everything's running fine, no need to worry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: