Favorite time in history

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Favorite time in history Reply with quote

There's always that one section of history that you like the best. What is it and why?

For me, I love the Ancient Times. The Greeks, the Romans, the Egyptians. There's something about all the progress they were making, the things they were discovering and creating before the Middle Ages that just excites me. I love to study their cultures, way of life, the whole lot. When we are at the British Museum, I kid you not I get shivers when I am in all of these sections. Especially with all the mummies. And those shivers aren't from fear! Very Happy
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my fav's are my own time is the 60's to now, I think 300 years from now this will be seen as an amazingly exiting time with so much happening and so many changes, the other is proberbly the 'dark ages' a time when the opposite happened around the world man ceased to progress, its like time stood still and there were no new inventions no new great ideas from Europe to China we just stopped evolving, current theory is the ' dark ages' is not an accidental term , that it was actualy relitivly dark and crops failed and animals died and man had to just survive rather than move forward
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite the fan of the Dark Ages too. There is evidence of a major event that happened at around 535AD, which some believe is what lead to it being called that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_changes_of_535-536

It makes for interesting reading. I think this also may have had some bearing on the development of Islam later in that century, but I'm just speculating.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for me I like the the 19th and early 20th centuries. I think the industrial revolution changed so many things for so many people.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in awe of ancient histories as well, especially Greece. If I had a time machine, I'd love to walk the streets of Athens following Socrates around as he "corrupted the youth" (which was merely a made-up charge for encouraging them to think for themselves).
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

Toss up between Sitting with Nostradamus (who wasn't just into writing down the future) or sitting down with Leonardo "D".
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
Hmmm...

or sitting down with Leonardo "D".

He was OK in Titanic but I dont think hes the most oustanding person in history smoking
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I'm quite the fan of the Dark Ages too. There is evidence of a major event that happened at around 535AD, which some believe is what lead to it being called that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_changes_of_535-536

It makes for interesting reading. I think this also may have had some bearing on the development of Islam later in that century, but I'm just speculating.

Yes I had read that and some other stuff on the period , thing is if it happened now you would think with all our tech skills we would be able to deal with it , i think maybe the oposite would be true as we can not function in a simple way anymore like planting a few crops or hunting , we are more skilled at typing crap on the internet for someone on the other side of the world to read, not a useful skill if your starving to death
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... unless the guy on the other side of the world has a loaf of bread (and a machine that takes in wheat and spits out loaves powered only on wind). Very Happy

If you haven't seen "The Day the Universe Changed," I highly recommend it.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the Middle Ages as well. It is a very interesting part of history. For me though it's more the history of the castles and the development in warfare that takes place during that time that fascinate me. I remember being in my first castle and seeing a garter robe rooms and being so thankful for modern plumbing Laughing

I was hoping to go to Hever Castle when we were in England this summer but sadly the weather didn't cooperate the day we were planning on going.
GingerTruck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite history is scotish battles
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really have a favorite. There are things I like about all eras. When people ask "when in history would you want to live" I am boring and say NOW because I figure I am HERE & NOW for a reason.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella-FL wrote:
Don't really have a favorite. There are things I like about all eras. When people ask "when in history would you want to live" I am boring and say NOW because I figure I am HERE & NOW for a reason.

That's probably a good attitude to have Marcella. I don't think I've ever been asked that myself. I've been asked what time I would like to visit but never to live. For me I am happy as long as I have decent central heating and air!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elizabethian England, please....I don't really want to live then (I am kinda partial to bathing and no lice), but I am very interested in this time period and plan to specialize my studies in Medieval Europe.
GingerTruck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing best time in history was when the scots defeated king edwards army
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Historically Yours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: