BBC launch iPlayer for tv

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: BBC launch iPlayer for tv Reply with quote

Good idea, pity it's protected and that users need WMP10. That cuts me out and I'm sure there's millions of others in the same boat. I pay my licence fee, so it should be available to me... since when has there been DRM on anything to do with the 'free to air' BBC?
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: BBC launch iPlayer for tv Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I pay my licence fee, so it should be available to me..

I can't recall the exact technical wording for when a TV license is needed, but I think it is using a device capable of tuning into a live transmission. So if you had a TV which you only used with a VCR you are still caught. It would also cover digital tuners in a computer.

I think rules also catches LIVE TV when viewed across the internet.

But if everything comes via a broadband connection, and you don't have a TV, would the TV license effectively be an "internet access" fee ?

p.s. I think they should scrap the TV license since it is effectively already a tax on every home, and as such fairer to be part of the Council tax (based on property values), or part of general taxation. Anything is better than the current "poll tax" like charge which is a charge equally born by everyone.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could be right about the live broadcast thing, in fact that's probably what they're using as their wedge in order to do this.

I don't mind paying the licence fee really - £2 a week is a bargain really, though if I wasn't one to watch the other bbc channels a fair bit I might be leery of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: