Brian Haw – now in his 7th year!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Brian Haw – now in his 7th year! Reply with quote

from http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/07/375875.html?c=on

go on brian Smile
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn right - much respect for the guy.
Ash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbs My utmost respect for this MAN thumbs
popinjay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity they took all his banners away.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popinjay wrote:
Pity they took all his banners away.

That makes me think of the "free speech zones" created during the last U.S. Presidential election.

"Sure, you can have your protest; just do it with your bare hands..."

Confused This could lead to novel protests. Instead of signs, two fingers. Of course, the news would call them all anarchists or some such.

When the gov't moves to limit free speech, it shows they're afraid. If I go through London again this autumn, I'll definitely shake the guy's hand.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi all...

The GLA is trying to evict the tents from Parliament Square right now!..

Could you pass this on to other interested people, activists or journalists?
Try to go to Parliament Square to protest or take a camera

or if you cant get there now, telephone either

the GLA swtichboard..0207 983 4000 or Ken Livingstone's office 0207 9834100 and tell them youre concerned that
Brian Haw will lose his support (they say only he's allowed to be there, but he says he needs the support of the others)

For more information you could ring Kaye at Global Women's Strike,,,0207 4612121

Thanks!!!

Bridget

The Greater London Authority's Press Release

Unlawful campers asked to leave Parliament Square
17-8-2007 509

The Greater London Authority (GLA) has today asked those unlawfully camping on Parliament Square to leave the square. This request explicitly excludes Brian Haw, whose peaceful protest against the Iraq War will be respected.

Those responsible for the tents on the square have been notified that they are in breach of byelaws under the Greater London Authority Act and that they must leave the square.

The unauthorised camping is changing the square from an historic landmark enjoyed by Londoners and visitors to an unwelcoming eyesore and a public health hazard. Since the campers arrived, rubbish including glass and plastic bottles has littered the site and the square has been used as an open-air toilet, leading to damage of the grass area and flowerbeds surrounding the square.

The campers have been made aware of the fact that they are not allowed to camp on the square over a long period of time. They have been repeatedly advised by the GLA’s wardens that they do not have permission to camp on the square. They were each given a letter last weekend and again yesterday (August 16) asking them to leave the square.

A spokesperson said: 'The Mayor strongly supports the right to peaceful protest and respects the right of Brian Haw to hold his protest but the GLA cannot allow others to use Parliament Square as a free camp site and open air toilet, creating an unsightly public health hazard that is offensive to the thousands of Londoners and visitors who use this iconic public space every day.

'That is why we have informed those responsible for the tents that they must leave the square.'

The action does not apply to Brian Haw who has permission under the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 to hold a 24-hour demonstration site on the pavement of Parliament Square.

http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_release.jsp?releaseid=13373
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Galloway mention a few minutes ago that Brian has been removed from Parliament Square...

another sad day for 'democracy'.
luke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy thumbs

theres not a single result about this if you search news.google ....
luke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameron 'would evict peace camp'

A Tory government would attempt to remove the long standing peace camp in Parliament Square, David Cameron says.

Anti-war campaigner Brian Haw has been camping opposite Parliament since 2001, surrounded by banners and placards.

He has been joined in the square by other protesters over the years - most recently a large group of Tamils.

The Tory leader said he was in favour of free speech but the square had been turned into a "pretty poor place" and it was time to say "enough is enough".

Mr Haw initially set up his camp in protest at sanctions against Iraq and then over the war itself but there is no indication his protest is coming to an end, despite the withdrawal of British troops in Iraq.

The father-of-seven has successfully resisted repeated attempts to remove him by Westminster City Council in London and by the government.

'Enough'

Several peace protesters were evicted from the square in August 2007 by the Greater London Authority to "prevent it becoming an illegal campsite", after reports that homeless people were sleeping there.

But Mr Haw from Redditch, Worcestershire, was allowed to stay.

Earlier that year he won a legal battle to remain in place due to a drafting error in a new law banning unauthorised protests in Westminster, but was ordered to restrict his banners and placard display to a three-metre area.

But the peace camp has sparked complaints from MPs and peers on all sides that it is too noisy and an eyesore.

Mr Cameron today told Sky News' Sunday Live a future Tory government would take steps to have it removed.

He said: "I am all in favour of free speech and the right to demonstrate and the right to protest.

"But I think there are moments when our Parliament Square does look like a pretty poor place, with shanty town tents and the rest of it.

"I am all for demonstrations, but my argument is `Enough is enough'."

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8158052.stm

they're talking about this on the radio this morning - winding me right up! i've emailed in but i'm not expecting it to be read out .... fucking bastards angry Mad

edit - they've just had brian on the radio Smile he did really really well, even though the interviewer ( nick ferrari ) was a twat and wanted to talk about if brian claimed any benefits ( he doesn't ) over the realities of the wars, brian made the point of all the media coverage of the death of david camerons son 'how important every life is' - with the lack of media coverage of civilian deaths in iraq and afghanistan and how we don't even count the dead. ferrari cut brian off when he started talking about the nazi trial for 'war of aggression' and international law and our violations of it. he raised the issue of depleted uranium - something you just never hear in the mainstream, he talked of the real motives for the war in iraq, how we've not withdrawn but the troops are now called something else in a 'training' role.

edit edit - in their little news break now they've condensed the brian interview into a little section just talking about brian not claiming benefits - everything else has gone.
luke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3,000 days and counting... the lonely life of Brian
His body is weak, but Brian Haw’s spirit is still willing – even after eight years of protesting

Brian Haw is definitely not a morning person. Today was the veteran activist’s 2,999th day camped out on the pavements of Parliament Square and the cantakerous 60-year-old was in no mood for small talk.

“I don’t do talk about the weather,” he grumbled, stirring a fifth spoonful of sugar into a milky cup of coffee which had just been boiled on a small gas burner behind his tent. “I hate it when people ask me all those silly questions, like ‘How’s it going? Did you sleep well?’ or ‘How long are you staying here?’ It’s meaningless.”

And he is equally nonplussed at the thought that tomorrow will mark the 3,000th day of a world-famous protest that defied an entire government and remains the most permanent symbol of free speech in a country which has suffered increasingly autocratic legislation curbing the right to free assembly.

“I’m not into this Guinness Book of Records rubbish,” he says, tipping back his pin-badge littered helmet to reveal a weathered face and two piercing blue eyes. “Three thousand bloody days, sleeping here and watching the politicians lie while children continue to die and people walk by. And each one of us is responsible. Each one of us, responsible.”

Eight years of living in a tent opposite the Houses of Parliament, railing against the country’s political elite through two bitterly controversial wars, has made Mr Haw an irritable man. Any of the friends, passers by, tourists and journalists who have come across him will be more than aware the deep seated anger he feels towards the British government, which he accuses of anything from “murder, to torture and genocide”.

When the former carpenter-turned-peace-activist first appeared outside the Houses of Parliament on the 2 June 2001 to begin his one man protest few could have guessed that he would stay there for what has already the best part of a decade. He began by demonstrating against Britain’s support for the UN sanctions in Iraq, but the ongoing wars in that country and Afghanistan have since given him plenty more opportunity to consolidate his contempt for British foreign policy.

Since then council chiefs, police and the Government have all tried and failed to evict him. Tired of his non-stop megaphone vigils, MPs even passed a specific piece of legislation aimed at ridding Parliament Square of his presence which - for the first time in over 350 years - effectively made it illegal to protest outside the Houses of Parliament without permission (a promise by Gordon Brown to repeal that law has so far failed to materialise). Undeterred, Mr Haw has fought and eventually won every attempt to have him removed.

The sheer logistics of his continued protest are remarkable. For the past 3,000 days Mr Haw has called the pavement opposite the Houses of Parliament his home. His bed is nestled under a leaking and weather beaten tent whilst the few possessions he has beyond the limited remaining placards he is allowed to display by Westminster City Council lie under a tarpaulin sheet which crawls with mice.

A modern day ascetic, he survives purely on the kindness of strangers and a small contingent of sympathisers who donate food and tobacco, which has lent him a thick bronchial cough that splutters throughout much of his sentences.

Daily washes, meanwhile, are made in a bucket but once a week he has the luxury of being able to take a shower at the home of an anonymous supporter. To stay in contact with the outside world he beckons all and sundry to his makeshift shrine or calls friends on his mobile phone, which is charged by a sympathetic toilet attendant in Westminster tube station.

But eight years of living on the streets have clearly taken their toll. Mr Haw’s weathered skin and viciously tanned arms are testament to the days on end spent out in the elements and his frame is visibly skeletal.

Leaning forward on two crutches and sporting a t-shirt emblazoned with anti-war slogans, Mr Haw cuts a lonely figure among the thronging crowds of scantily clad tourists who stop to take pictures of Parliament’s most eccentric resident.

A year into his protest, his wife Kay filed for divorce and he rarely sees any of their seven children who now range from 16-30-years-old. Although he has previously insisted his family support his vigil, births, weddings and birthdays have all gone by leaving the father of seven deeply embittered.

“My kids are an off limit topic,"”he says, angered by the question of whether they still stay in touch with him. “But I have effectively lost my family because our nation doesn’t care enough. I love my wife and children so much. But I blame the Government for losing them because I shouldn’t have been here eight years. I didn’t want to be here eight bloody years but while the killing and murder continues, I’m staying.”

Despite living his life so publicly, Mr Haw remains a deeply private person. Personal questions inevitably receive replies that wind their way back to his raison d’etre – the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan or the war in Iraq.

For instance, in answer to a question about whether he prays (Mr Haw is an evangelical Christian) he replies: “People get so organised don’t they? They think that prayer is something you do on your knees. Well I bet there are a few soldiers praying on the other side of the world right now. And who is going to answer their prayers? I would suggest that you are the answer to your own prayers, if you get off your arse and do something.”

One of the few times he breaks into a smile is remembering how he was voted Most Inspiring Political Figure at the 2007 Channel 4 Political Awards. “Yeah, that felt damn good,” he recalls. “Ordinary Joe Bloggs on the street being voted ahead of Blair, Cameron and General “Donut” Dannatt. That felt great.”

But while Mr Haw remains an angry individual who feels he is a long way from achieving his goal of “peace, love and justice for all”, his days of fighting the law over his pitch are largely over.

If anything, his peace campaign has grown. There are now anywhere between three and five regular campaigners who join Mr Haw in Parliament Square and local officials appear to have largely abandoned trying to evict them.

Barbara Tucker – or “Babs” as she is known among the campers – is the square’s longest squatting resident after Mr Haw. Barring her 33 arrests, the half Australian half English protestor, who is campaigning for peace in the Middle East, has herself camped out for more than 1,000 days now.

"It was Brian that inspired me,” she says. “I had the complete capitalist lifestyle before all this but I gave it up when my two sons reached adulthood. Brian showed me that a single man can make a difference. Everyday we meet so many people from around the world who have heard what he has done and want to meet him when they are in London, it's amazing.”

As a busload of tourists pass by and all shout out “Hi Brian!” at the behest of a tour operator with a microphone, it is clear that Mr Haw’s

protest is now as much part of Parliament’s landscape as Churchill or Cromwell’s statue. And it’s clear he’s not going anywhere fast.

“I’m not leaving because we haven’t finished the job,” he says. “We are all responsible for what our Government does in our name. When our country does good we can be proud of that, and when it does wrong we must hold the liars to account. And we have to keep doing that.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/3000-days-and-counting-the-lonely-life-of-brian-1773813.html

Image Gallery

Leading article: The right to disorder

Three honest cheers for Brian Haw who today celebrates 3,000 days of protest in London's Parliament Square. He's not everyone's cup of tea. Indeed officialdom has hated him for his raucous voice and untidy peace camp.

But there he has stood, sat and slept on the pavement outside the Mother Of Parliaments ever since he set up his lonely vigil since 2001. Ministers have come and gone. Other protests have swarmed over the green only to be finally harried away by the forces of law and order. But every time this father of seven from Worcestershire has stood his ground.

"I'm all for demonstrations, but my argument is enough is enough," declared David Cameron this summer. To which we can only cry "No, No, No"; the right of protest and the issues of peace and war are far too important to be dismissed in a prissy preference for order. That's not the British spirit. Nor should it be of anyone who aspires to power in a country that values freedom.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/leading-articles/leading-article-the-right-to-disorder-1773997.html

Brian & Co. Parliament Square SW1 is a new documentary film by Japanese film-maker Yumiko Hayakawa. The film details life in and around Brian Haw’s peace campaign in Parliament Square, London. Filmed over the course of one and a half years, the film captures this legendary peace campaign through interviews with Brian, his supporters, former Labour MP Tony Benn and UK/Japanese peace campaigners. The film also sheds light on how freedom of speech is threatened in the UK and people’s imaginative and unrelenting ways of defending their rights.

http://www.brianandco.co.uk/en_index.htm
luke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOSPITAL: A MESSAGE FROM BRIAN HAW

"I was admitted to hospital on 23rd September 2010, with breathing trouble. Tests show a tumour. I am having more tests then treatment.

In my enforced absence, Babs Tucker is Captain of the Good Ship Parliament Square Peace Campaign. Please give her all the help possible.

I will be back and able to cry out again for those denied a voice.

God save the Kids, the people."

http://brianhaw.tv/index.php/blog?start=3

Sad
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully it won't be serious, but staying out for another winter can't be a good idea...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on Mr Icke for setting this up, though I just went to donate and the recipient is Icke's book company... they need to sort that to a specific account
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand? I thought the NHS was so wonderful and covers everyone? Why can't he get this revolutionary treatment in the UK for free?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days it depends on where you live and other factors, such as how long the treatment will extend your life. There's a big kickup over the policies of 'N.I.C.E', the group which decides who gets the treatment. (National Institute for Clinical Excellence, I think)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: