DVD files to AVI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekokate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: DVD files to AVI? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to "rip" video from commercial DVDs to AVI or MPG or whatever.

I assumed it would be easy, so I opened the DVD to look at the files, and they are all either in VOB, IFO or BUP format (whatever the heck they are!)

I'm assuming that the actual video content is the VOB files, seeing as they are the biggest file sizes, so I've dragged one into SUPER (the encoding programme Face recommended) and I'm currently in the process of converting it to AVI.

Am I on the right track, or am I making a big fool of myself?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that will work but vob files are just (usually) 1gb chunks, so there will be no continuity (episodes won't be singled out for example).

You should use something like Imtoo's DVD Ripper in order to get the actual bits you want.

http://couchtripper.com/video/IM2.rar (includes serial)
nekokate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Face. I'll try that.

I managed to encode a VOB to AVI but it was covered in green and red pixellation and played at double speed, so I don't know what was going on with that! It's a commercial DVD but it's not copy protected, so it can't have been that.

Anyway, I'll try the program you recommend and see what happens. Thanks!
nekokate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, crap, it appears that the DVD actually is copy protected. I downloaded the program and it said "can't rip copy protected DVDs"

Why is it so hard to break the law these days??!!!! Grrr!
Ash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use DVDDycrypter to rip auido+video and then use Gordian Knot 0.35.0 to convert it into an xvid.

For xvid.avi encode:
myself wrote:
Rita.lt

An excellent site for ripping tutorials:

Most useful tutorials:

1. DVD to AVI encode using GORDIAN KNOT (@Rita) OR if it sounds too complicated try here: DVD to AVI encode using GORDIAN KNOT (@MVG)

2. To rip TV programmes: Ripping Guide using GORDIAN KNOT from MPEG2 to AVI
You 1st need to extract the MPEG2 stream by using a TV capture card or set-top box. Usually most of the these hardwares capture TV programmes in MPEG2 format.

Update: you can download these tutorials in PDF format from rita as well.

If you prefer x264, which is a better* codec than xvid (, let alone divx) then use MeGUI. However please note that you'll not be able to play x264 encoded file in your stand-alone dvix/xvid player. If you use x264 you should use .mkv container instead of .avi.
* = in terms fo better compression

MeWiki guide: http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/Main_Page

As for ripping subtitles: http://www.islamictorrents.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=888[b]
nekokate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ash. I've discovered a trial version of some software that seems to work, so I might actually bite the bullet and buy it, lol.
Ash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Thanks Ash. I've discovered a trial version of some software that seems to work, so I might actually bite the bullet and buy it, lol.

Don't do it, kate Shocked ... Most sharewares are simply rubbish. Their claims and actual outcomes differs a lot...they don't give you the same level of flexibility that you'd get from freewares like Gordian Knot, MeGUI etc. I must admit that encoding quality differs a lot on various factors mostly what type of Denoising, sharpening and ColorCorrection filter you use in this freewares. It can be daunting in the beginning, but once get into it, you'll find them very useful- especially if you're into archiving documentaries like me

The only commercial ones that i found useful (for encoding) are Elecard xmuxer pro, (& MPEG-2 decoder plugin, aka, elecard MPEG demultiplexer directshow filter and Sonic Cinemaster decoder (for ripping HD DVD and BlueRay, you've got love those folks at doom9) Very Happy

Feel free to ask me questions about encoding...it helps me to improve my understanding as well ;)
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
Feel free to ask me questions about encoding...it helps me to improve my understanding as well ;)

Is this an open offer? (I hope this isn't considered thread hijacking.) I have a general encoding question that I haven't really found answered anywhere.

I've been archiving some old tv episodes and documentaries to DVD as well. Sometimes, I'll re-encode to downgrade enough so I can fit a season on a couple DVD's or to re-encode the audio into CBR (VBR sometimes causes the audio to fall out of sync). However, when I open them up in GSpot (the "codec information appliance") it tells me that the audio is "split across interleaves," which may cause problems for some video players. Is there a simple way to eliminate this?

I mainly use VirtualDub for encoding with the K-Lite Full Codec Pack. I had a peek at VirtualDubMod, but a) it doesn't seem to give as much control over audio, and b) it didn't resolve this oddity.

Thanks in advance...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a link to DVD Decrypter -

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/

what I do normally is deprotect the DVD using this, dumping the contents of the dvd onto the hard drive, then I use the Imtoo program to compress to avi. It works fine. All you need do is practice with the input (ifo files) and output (divx, xvid, mpg) settings and see what you come up with.

More intricate processes are useful, but take time to learn and aren't always necessary if all you want to do is get something shared quickly.
Ash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:

Is this an open offer? (I hope this isn't considered thread hijacking.) I have a general encoding question that I haven't really found answered anywhere....

Yes it is, provided you read through the relevant tutorials I've posted agree

We can have a different thread asking question concerning encoding. I do encode using GK or MeGUI into Xvid and x264. That's my limitation. I have no idea how other packages, like StaxRip, Automkv etc work. There is lot to learn but I'm too lazy Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: