Global poll shows wide distrust of United States

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Global poll shows wide distrust of United States Reply with quote

Quote:
"Anti-Americanism since 2002 has deepened….
… majorities in many countries reject the main planks of current U.S. foreign policy and express distaste for American-style democracy, the survey found.

The survey, conducted in April and May, is by far the largest Pew has carried out since 2002, covering 47 countries in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa and the Americas, and assessing the opinions of more than 45,000 people.

While the survey covered a broad range of issues, it focused intensively on the world's image of the United States, which was largely positive in 2002 - reflecting global sympathy for Americans after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on New York and Washington - but has declined steeply since 2003, when the Bush administration decided to invade Iraq.

The poll found that:

Majorities in 43 of the 47 countries surveyed want a quick U.S. troop withdrawal from Iraq. In the United States, 56 percent express this opinion. The exceptions are Ghana, Israel, Kenya and Nigeria.

Majorities or pluralities in 40 countries also want U.S. and North Atlantic Treaty Organization troops out of Afghanistan as soon as possible. This view, strongest in the Muslim world, was also held in many NATO member countries, notably Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, Spain and Turkey.

Support for America's so-called war on terrorism has plummeted since 2002, especially in Europe, where U.S. practices against inmates at the Guantánamo Bay and Abu Ghraib prisons have been harshly condemned.

There is a widespread perception that the United States acts unilaterally in making international policy decisions. This view is especially powerful in Europe, shared by 90 percent in Sweden, 89 percent in France, and 70 percent or more in Britain, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Germany, Russia, Slovakia and Spain.

… majorities or pluralities in all but four survey countries excluding the United States itself - China, Israel, South Korea and Japan - say they dislike American ideas about democracy.

… A slim majority of Britons - 51 percent - now hold favorable views of the United States, down from 75 percent in 2002, before the Iraq invasion.

Asked about the crisis in the Middle East, Western publics were generally optimistic that a solution can be found that accommodates the needs of both Israelis and Palestinians, and Israelis also took that view. But Arabs in the region were pessimistic, with more than 70 percent in Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait and the Palestinian territories believing that "the rights and needs of the Palestinian people cannot be taken care of as long as the state of Israel exists."

full article at http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/27/news/pew.php

this was just done on the united states, but i bet if they did it on the uk we wouldn't do much better - seeing as our government and the american government do pretty much the same shit, but i guess it depends on how the world wide media portray things - may be they concentrate on america more

at least we haven't got a guantanamo, although we've helped with extraordinary rendition and we've done diddly to stop it, blair just called it an 'anomaly'
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related to lack of trust of the US, is framing up of their "enemy of the day" for whatever crime they think will stick (even if not done by them).

I think George said on air he believe this was a miscarriage of justice :
Salim201

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of David Shayler? Former MI5 agent, he covered the lockerbie case and the Gaddafi plot, he left and exposed loads about the security services, search for his interview on sky news its on youtube. He says that litvinenko was about to blow the whistle on some serious false-flag terrorists op's. its heavy stuff i'm not sure if i believe it all but he makes a good case! worth checking out
luke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i've checked some of his stuff before, he seems to have made a lot of sense on the things hes spoken about before - i haven't head him on litvenenko though. i think his wife was in the security services as well

i think this is the video from sky ...

part 1 of 3
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie Machon, Shayler's girlfriend, was on a talksport show :

http://www.spiderednews.com/911.htm?vid=86681

James Whale talkSPORT radio show (3 hours). Including :

Annie Machon - Partner and former MI5 colleague of government whistleblower "David Shayler"

Tim Sparke - Executive Producer of Loose Change 2. Also discusses the upcoming
"Loose Change Final Cut" due to be launched in Sep 07.

Ian Henshall - Co-author of book : "9/11 Revealed"

Nick Pope - ex-employee of the Ministry of Defense defending the official story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: