Police Diffuse Bomb in Central London
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Police Diffuse Bomb in Central London Reply with quote

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Police in London say they have deactivated a bomb packed with nails and capable of creating huge casualties, raising renewed fears of a terrorist strike almost two years after the city was hit by deadly suicide bombers.

The device, consisting of 200 liters of fuel, gas cylinders and nails linked to a triggering mechanism, was found in a car in Haymarket, in the city's busy nightclub and theater district shortly before 2 a.m. (0100 GMT) on Friday.

British police anti-terror chief Peter Clarke said the explosives would have resulted in significant injury and loss of life had the explosives detonated. (Watch police describe potential blast )

Clarke said police were alerted to the car after an ambulance crew attending an earlier incident noticed a smoke-filled car parked close to the popular "Tiger Tiger" nightclub.

Explosives officers discovered canisters of fuel, gas cylinders and nails attached to a "potential means of detonation," inside the vehicle. Officers on the scene "courageously" disabled the trigger by hand, he said.

Earlier, security sources told CNN that the "relatively crude device" contained at least 200 liters, or about 50 gallons, of fuel in canisters.

"Even at this stage it is obvious that if the device had detonated, there could have been severe injuries and loss of life," Clarke said.

He said it was too early to say who was responsible, but police were examining footage from London's unparalelled mesh of CCTV cameras for clues.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, appointed just two days earlier in a transition of power seen as a potential spur for extremists to mount an attack, said the incident was a reminder of the dangers facing the country.

Brown, whose predecessor Tony Blair's support for the war stoked anger among Islamic militants, said Britain faces "a serious and continuous threat" and the public "need to be alert" at all times.

The incident comes close to the second anniversary of July 7, 2005, when four Islamic extremist suicide bombers killed 52 people on London's transport system in the deadliest strike on the city since World War II.

'Rude awakening'
CNN International Security Correspondent Paula Newton said it was potentially aimed at theatergoers or nightclubbers, echoing plots recently thwarted by anti-terror police in which Islamic militants intended to attack prominent dance venues and shopping malls.

London has a long history of bomb attacks and alerts during decades of violence mounted by Northern Irish guerrilla groups. Lone attackers have also previously targeted the city's gay and immigrant communities.

Friday's incident could prove to be the first major test for new Prime Minister Brown, a former finance minister, who has only just appointed his cabinet, including new Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, in charge of domestic security.

"For Gordon Brown it is a rude awakening to the realities you take on as prime minister," CNN's European Political Editor Robin Oakley said. (Watch Oakley on "rude awakening" for Brown )

Smith Friday attended a meeting of Britain's so-called Cobra emergency committee -- consisting of intelligence and security chiefs -- and was later expected to brief Brown's cabinet.

"As the police and security services have frequently said we face one of the most serious and sustained threats to our security at the moment," Smith told reporters.

A large area around the scene of the discovery remained cordoned off Friday and the nearby Piccadilly underground train station was closed, bringing gridlock to the city's busy commerical district.

Will this kind of stuff never end?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sticks out for me is that they were using a Mercedes. Seems an odd choice to make. Why not a van? I read elsewhere that the car driver ran away from the scene, so I'm sure that footage will be interesting to see if it ever turns up...
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the coverage I have seen thus far I can't decide on who would do this...

My money is on a small time gang who had problems with the nightclub security.
A lot of clubs in london use security that are pretty much run by gangs / the 'underground' & there has always been in fighting.

This would account for the use of the Mercedes & the type of "bomb" that was set up.

On the other hand, an extremest group might have used the Mercedes purely in an attempt to have it blend in with the area the car was parked in.

An obvious concern would be 'more of the same'...
As we have no reports of any more cars parked (bombs), I'd tend to go with my first option of gangland related.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Police Diffuse Bomb in Central London Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Will this kind of stuff never end?

unfortunately i can't see it any time soon, not while we keep invading countrys, supporting oppressive regiemes and exploiting other countrys resources - i'm surprised we don't get attacks like this more often.

before the invasion of iraq, the security services anitcipated that the invasion would increase the threat of terrorism and strengthen al qaeda, and it has done - so like i said i'm surprised we haven't had more attacks

shame robin cook died, and his idea of an ethical foreign policy along with him Sad
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst this could be gang-land related, and choice of an old Mercedes is odd (I don't think it would blend in with modern cars in that area, indeed, it would stick out), I can't help thinking Blair/Brown are going to say the terrorist thread hasn't increased because of Iraq, Afghanistan etc, and they will remind us of terrorist acts done before the invasion (e.g. 9/11)
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Joker on this one for sure. It looks to me like a local thing. But I do also agree that Brown will now try and use this as an excuse for a terrorist threat.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, did the bad guys just wait for me to book my flight to the UK to go haywire???
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack straw has already called it a 'improvised explosive device' - a term i've only ever heard used when they talk of roadside bombs targeting our troops in iraq ... ( when car bombs explode in iraq they just call them car bombs )

i'm surprised they haven't already tried to blame iran wink although it seems even the army is wising up to the government/media propaganda - yesterday on bbc when they were talking to some army guy about the 3 british troops who died in iraq, the interviewer asked who they thought was behind the attacks, the army guy said 'i know you are trying to get me to mention a country to the east of here, but that's not the case'

be interesting to see how this develops
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
the army guy said 'i know you are trying to get me to mention a country to the east of here, but that's not the case'

Probably the last we will ever hear of that army guy .. I don't think he will be allowed on the air again.

How to end your career: Speak the truth.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this pic is from the Daily Mail, whose headline on the story reads 'Al Qaeda suspected of 'massive' bomb attack on London nightclub' - it doesn't say who suspects them though, of course...
Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Police Diffuse Bomb in Central London Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Clarke said police were alerted to the car after an ambulance crew attending an earlier incident noticed a smoke-filled car parked close to the popular "Tiger Tiger" nightclub.

Strange .. I am sure I read early today that a member of the public alerted the police after seeing a car being driven erratically and hitting a bin, and a person running away.

The quote above from the ambulance sounds like the "bomb" was triggered, but didn't explode properly.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gas canister bomb 'an amateur job'

James Sturcke
Friday June 29, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

The builders of the bomb found in central London today would have probably been "keen amateurs", an explosives expert said.
Patio gas cylinders found by police in the light green Mercedes would have been an unlikely weapon for experienced terrorists unless they wanted to create a fireball for the cameras, Sidney Alford, founder of explosives company Alford Technologies, told Guardian Unlimited.

As a readily available combustible material, the propane gas held in such cylinders might be considered by someone unable to source high explosives.

"If you are making a bomb and you are limited in the amount of explosives you can acquire you could easily get some gas cylinders of propane to add to them. They would give a more impressive fireball on TV," he said.

"They are probably keen amateurs who could not get their hands on the real thing and do not realise the limits of what they are doing."

The Metropolitan police's head of anti-terrorism, Peter Clarke, said there was also a "significant quantity" of petrol and nails in the car, as well as the gas. A witness reported nails were lying on the floor of the car, which Mr Alford said was another indication the bomb makers were inexperienced.

"Nails could be considered as an additional way of extending the potential damage and lethal range of the device but putting them on the floor is an incompetent way of building a bomb. They would go straight into the ground," he said.

Mr Alford said that unless there were also explosives present the main impact of the device would be in the economic disruption caused by closing off the normally bustling shops, restaurants and businesses of central London.

"As the IRA knew, you do not need a real bomb to cause real havoc," he said.

Police said the "potentially viable explosive device" was made safe. Mr Clarke said that had it exploded there could have been "significant injuries or loss of life".

Bomb disposal experts, Mr Alford said, may have used a water disruptor often delivered through a "pig stick" - similar to a gun barrel - to try and separate the components of the charge without triggering an explosion.

Water could be fired at near-supersonic speeds down the stick and its force would be enough to pierce metal and destroy the bomb, but without causing a spark.

It is believed to be unprecedented for gas canisters to be used for a bomb in the UK. They have sometimes been used elsewhere in the world as bomb casings - opened up and packed with explosives - or used for firing mortars. Police said they had yet to examine whether the cylinders contained patio gas as indicated on the label.

Michael Clarke, professor of defence at King's College London, said whoever was behind the intended attack would have left a lot of evidence at the scene that would help police track them down.

He said security services would be concerned that the bomb may be part of a wider plot, and that there could be other devices planted around the capital.

"They will find out about this very quickly," he said. "Any car coming into central London would be on a lot of surveillance footage. Also nobody can make a bomb without leaving behind a lot of DNA." Prof Clarke said it was almost certain the bomb was intended to detonate today.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Police Diffuse Bomb in Central London Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
eefanincan wrote:

Strange .. I am sure I read early today that a member of the public alerted the police after seeing a car being driven erratically and hitting a bin, and a person running away.

The quote above from the ambulance sounds like the "bomb" was triggered, but didn't explode properly.

This morning on the news here I heard the statement you posted Mandy. So I am not sure as to why they put it that way in the news either. It's a bit weird. But you know how it goes when these things first come out and as they go on.
GingerTruck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are now saying that there was two car bombs
Bat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my friends, I think whoever planted these two cars are absolute twats - to park a car in Haymarket and not expect it to be noticed is beyond a joke. As for the other one to have got a parking ticket and then towed away to the local car pound is just plain stupid - not the work of people with a serious mission in mind.

Joker's comments seem to be more on the ball than a "terrorist" attack.

I'm in London now and for the next two months, I'll let you know when (if) I start to worry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: