Britain launches new nuclear sub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Britain launches new nuclear sub Reply with quote

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall launched HMS Astute, the Royal Navy's new nuclear submarine, at the shipyard where she was built in Barrow, Cumbria. Crowds of schoolchildren, navy personnel and local people lined the streets to welcome the duchess as she prepared to launch her first ever vessel.

A Royal Navy Merlin helicopter performed the warm-up for spectators as they waited for the launch to begin. The duchess was joined by the Bishop of Carlisle, the Right Reverend Graham Dow, who blessed Astute before her launch.

A dummy Cruise missile inside Astute gives a hint of the nuclear vessel's firepower, which will be greater than that of any previous British submarine. Instead of champagne, the duchess launched Astute with a bottle of beer specially brewed by the submarine's own crew, in line with tradition at the Barrow shipyard.

--------------

Nice to see the bishop giving his blessing to a weapon of mass-destruction eh? The twisted bastard.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Britain launches new nuclear sub Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Nice to see the bishop giving his blessing to a weapon of mass-destruction eh? The twisted bastard.

thats what i thought when i saw it on the news, i'm sure jesus would be proud ...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad they didn't load Camilla into one of the torpedo tubes for a test-launch.

Laughing
Ash

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now imagine this was done by, say Iran- Blair and his war mongering friends and the neocon nutjobs and orientalists will be all up in arms

Regardless of what I just said, billions of pounds down the drain- all for what? nothing!
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
Regardless of what I just said, billions of pounds down the drain- all for what? nothing!

Worse than nothing .. it makes Britain a "target" (e.g. of Russia / China etc.), together with the animosity of people who might be threatened by these weapons. That's ignoring the risk of accidents (whether to the military or civilian).
GingerTruck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a waste of money
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: