Shooting incident in US state of Wisconsin leaves six dead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Shooting incident in US state of Wisconsin leaves six dead Reply with quote

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/06/10/america/NA-GEN-Wisconsin-Shooting.php

[page redirects if I embed]

At the risk of being flamed, I cant help feeling that incidents like this (without knowing specifics of this one issue) are more likely to happen when we have video games with people shooting up a Church in Manchester.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between being flamed and having a vast chasm of speculation pointed out. How can you make any judgment on the story based on such a short article?
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
How can you make any judgment on the story based on such a short article?

I didn't. The video game shooting was a comment about effectively brain-washing of the people who play this, and crime in general. Not specifically about this article, which I had indicated I don't know the reasons behind it.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so why make the suggestion that it could be linked to a video game at all?

Maybe the killer was deprived of video games and so didn't have a method of releasing those demons in a virtual sense - causing them to finally become real? It's just as possible considering there is no information.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandy kinda has a point, not particularly about this case, as there isn't much to go on, but in general, i can't help feeling that games like those, certain films, the way media covers war, certain music etc, could, on easily impressionable people, have a negative effect and make them react in ways that otherwise they might not have done.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt it could happen either, but it's got nothing to do with this story as we know it.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got GTA San Andreas and I'm not planning to go on any killing sprees. I think the video games = violent people equation is something of an over-reaction. It's like back when they banned the movie Natural Born Killers incase people decided that it would be a good idea to imitate it, or when Kubrick pulled A Clockwork Orange because some nutcase did sort of copy a scene in it; totally pointless.

If someone is planning to go around shooting people then they're already crazy, so it would be unfair to look at their CD or DVD collection, or video game collection, to try and find answers. If they did own lots of violent movies, it's surely more logical that they were violent to start with and that's why they went out to buy violent DVDs, not the other way round.

Having said that, I do have a massive problem with children being exposed to stuff like that, but as I always say - if you bring your kids up well in the first place then they're much less likely to become violent idiots. It's so much easier and more convenient to use a computer game as a scapegoat for bad or indifferent parents.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats it, if kids are brought up right, then those kinda things aren't a problem. i mean i played mario when i was a kid and i didn't go around eating mushrooms and popping magic pills ... wink Laughing Embarassed but i think the cumulative effect of those different influences, could, like i said, have an effect on kids that aren't brought up so well, those that are easily influenced - we have white kids round here and they sound like american rappers - if they are that easily impressionable and are mimicking accents i don't suppose it takes much to copy actions either ...

i wonder if theres any studys into this kinda thing ...
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
I think the video games = violent people equation is something of an over-reaction.

Kate, the "over-reaction" is you putting "=" here. I never said "=" and I don't know anyone who says it is "=". The issue is increase in likelihood, i.e. correlation.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
i wonder if theres any studys into this kinda thing ...

There are studies. See http://worldpressnetwork.net/index.php/Children section
"Should Children be protected from violent video/computer games?"
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUM! All kind of valid points , people do copy crap that they see , kubrick pulled a clockwork orange when some kids acted out the tramp scene in a disused cinema on oxford rd manchester uk and killed the guy , that was i think in 69 or 70 , but thats just an excuse in my opinion nearly everbody that see's 'natural born killers' goes home having seen a vastly over rated movie but somewhere out there there is one indervidual who thinks its cool to the point of acting it out well that person had serious problems before seeing the movie/video game, if all it takes is a movie or a game to spark extreme violence why dont we all do it after 2 hours of pulp fiction?
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan1254 wrote:
if all it takes is a movie or a game to spark extreme violence why dont we all do it after 2 hours of pulp fiction?

I don't think the issue is a one-off movie. I think the problem is the drip-drip desensitisation, e.g. what used to be shocking (e.g. games with shooting people in churches) become acceptable, and the next set of games push the envelope even further to get the next kick .. almost like a drug addict needing bigger & bigger "fixes".

Especially for kids who are impressionable, they may start thinking that what they see "on the box" is "cool"
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
nekokate wrote:
I think the video games = violent people equation is something of an over-reaction.

Kate, the "over-reaction" is you putting "=" here. I never said "=" and I don't know anyone who says it is "=". The issue is increase in likelihood, i.e. correlation.

Calm yourself, I wasn't talking about you. I was speaking generally and it seems we agree, since we are both cynical of the equation I made reference to.

Surely it's not just that you're dying to start another one of those sprawling threads that go on for 14 pages and acheives nothing? Say it ain't so! nyer
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Surely it's not just that you're dying to start another one of those sprawling threads that go on for 14 pages and acheives nothing? Say it ain't so! nyer

Nope .. I gave up trying to beat the record for the longest thread Smile

p.s. Regarding "Achieving Nothing", depends what you think any of these thread achieve. Spending time on these threads might stop me playing one of those violent games in the "Games" section of the site where a car crashes into a wall and aim is to see where does the driver get "shot" to (i.e. like a cannonball man). If I play that often enough, I might be tempted to try it out in real-life.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shall i ask next door for the paddling pool again? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: