Pole wakes up from 19-year coma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Pole wakes up from 19-year coma Reply with quote

A Polish man has woken up from a 19-year coma to find the Communist party no longer in power and food no longer rationed, Polish TV reports.

Railway worker Jan Grzebski, 65, fell into a coma after he was hit by a train in 1988.

"Now I see people on the streets with mobile phones and there are so many goods in the shops it makes my head spin," he told Polish television.

He credits his survival to his wife, Gertruda, who cared for him.

Doctors gave him only two or three years to live after the accident.

A comatose patient is in a profound state of unconsciousness which renders them unaware of both self and the world around them, and from which they cannot be roused.

Although those in a coma do not respond to stimuli in a meaningful way, contrary to popular belief they do not always lie quiet and still - in some cases they can move, open their eyes and even talk.

Fall of communists

"It was Gertruda that saved me, and I'll never forget it," Mr Grzebski told news channel TVN24 of his recovery.

Mrs Grzebski is reported to have moved her husband every hour to prevent bed sores.

"I cried a lot, and I prayed a lot," Mrs Grzebski said on Polsat television.

"Those who came to see us kept asking: 'When is he going to die?' But he's not dead."

When Mr Grzebski had his accident Poland was still ruled by its last communist leader, Wojciech Jaruzelski.

"When I went into a coma there was only tea and vinegar in the shops, meat was rationed and huge petrol queues were everywhere," Mr Grzebski said.

The following year's elections ushered in eastern Europe's first post-communist government.

Poland joined the Nato alliance in 1999 and the European Union in 2004.

"What amazes me today is all these people who walk around with their mobile phones and never stop moaning," said Mr Grzebski.

"I've got nothing to complain about."
This story is sort of funny as could you imagine waking up 15 years later and the world around you has completely changed!! Weird thought!! But at the same time it is also terribly sad if you think what his poor wife had to go through for 15 years!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true devotion on the wifes part. These things never cease to amaze me.
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes a lot has changed since his coma began for one thing now he's free to travel to the UK and work for the same wages he was getting in 1988 from the comunists, isn't capitalism great
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd freak out with all the changes. Total culture shock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: