sunday roast

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: sunday roast Reply with quote

who else here still has a proper roast dinner on a sunday? they had some bit in the indie recently to bring it back, but everyone i know still has a roast on a sunday - its what sundays are for Smile

what happens in america? is it the same out there?

we're having roast duck today, or maybe tomorrow as i forgot to put the thing in the oven until a little while ago Sad with roast potatoes cooked in goose fat, parsnips and carrots roasted in honey, yorkshire pud and gravy Smile

: insert suitable smiley here to represent how greedy i am Laughing :
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds great - I've just put a joint of smoked ham in the oven. That with cauliflower cheese and new potatoes. Pretty basic really, but I know it will hit the spot.
luke

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm smoked ham, we had one last week, like you say - hits the spot Smile

its nice cold with some pickle as well when you have any left over

i'm hoping there will be some duck left so i can do some chinese style pancakes with the spring onions, cucumber and hoisin sauce Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the family and how traditional they are and the background. It's pretty varied over here.

Some families have big meals like roasts, some have brunches, some have the tradition of that's when they go out to the restaurants.

I've known Italian families that have big Italian dishes, while Mexican families have tamales and enchiladas, and the WASPS will go and have a fancy brunch.

Over here it really depends on who you are. There is no set tradition of Sunday meal.

In my family it was just a regular meal, like any other day. But one of my boyfriends in high school I was always invited over for a big roast or breakfast after they got back from church.

Since I'm a bit poorly today it will probably be soup and sandwich at this end. But I'm known to do a nice Yorkshire pud and roast at any time of the week Smile
cori

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always do a proper Sunday dinner, in part because my husband typically works late during the week and so it's a time when we can sit down and chat about our week. Tonite it's an herb roasted chicken, roasted rosemary spuds and our son's fav hearts of palm drizzled with truffle oil.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop it all of you! I'm drooling over here! Laughing Egg salad sandwhiches here tonight, but might do a stuffed pork tenderloin next weekend.
GingerTruck

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree you cannot beat a sunday roast all the works and a nice pud after long live the sunday roast
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because my family is so sports mad, weekends are usually reserved for sports. That means eating whenever and whatever sounds good. Marcella does all of the cooking ( I live alone and do my own cooking at home - but she is so much better at it that I eat over there as often as I can!) and this gives her some nights off! During the summer when there are no sports, we usually cook out, so our Sunday "roast" usually consists of kababs and salads. As always, thanks to Marcella!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: