Posting the radio shows on OneBigTorrent
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Posting the radio shows on OneBigTorrent Reply with quote

I've decided to upload the talkSPORT shows as torrents on www.onebigtorrent.org - the site that's the development of chomskytorrents. I'll not be uploading them on there until at least the day after uploading here so that members here get the chance to benefit though. If you know about torrents and have downloaded last night's show, it would be much appreciated if you could help open the torrent and seed the files so that I don't have to keep them open.

http://www.onebigtorrent.org/
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clicking on the Galloway button faceless, I get the registered users only message. Anyone else with this problem?
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited (1st comment wasn't relevant).

Faceless, reading your comment below, I am unfamiliar with the "ratio" / "seed" issue. Sorry, I don't use OneBigTorrent

Does it mean 10 people downloaded, and only 5 offered to share their download?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've had friday's show up there now since last night and my ratio is almost 10 on it, and yet there's only 5 seeds, so I'll not be bothering again. Martin, if you're reading this - you need to get a ratio system, I'm not providing downloads to leechers who don't give a toss about sharing. Also, not one of them has even said thanks...
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know if any of that is supposed to apply to me, 'cause if it is you should know that I have downloaded a total of three files from this site, and did say thanks somewhere. i tried to access the galloway stuff to find http://www.sendspace.com, to upload something for someone else on another forum.

oh, well, bye.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may be all talking at cross-purposes.

When I first read Brown Sauce's 11:29 am comment, I assumed he meant clicking "Galloway" link at the top of this page. For my part, I can click it and see the content.

Brown Sauce, since you are clearly logged in (since you posted), can you still not access the material ?

FYI, this thread was about the "OneBigTorrent" peer-to-peer file-sharing system .. i.e. a different issue.
luke

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the problem when you click the galloway button is that is changes the address from http://www.couchtripper.com to http://couchtripper.com and doesn't recognise you've logged in - if you put the www in it works brown sauce Smile

it happens to me sometimes and it just seems to be the www that makes the difference

or you can go log in again under http://couchtripper.com
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sauce wrote:
i don't know if any of that is supposed to apply to me, 'cause if it is you should know that I have downloaded a total of three files from this site, and did say thanks somewhere. i tried to access the galloway stuff to find http://www.sendspace.com, to upload something for someone else on another forum.

oh, well, bye.

this thread is about the fact that I've uploaded Friday's show to another site. Nothing to do with this site.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
or you can go log in again under http://couchtripper.com

Well spotted Luke. I never noticed because I initially used http://couchtripper.com and never varied from it.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks luke, that works Smile
rendition

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
well I've had friday's show up there now since last night and my ratio is almost 10 on it, and yet there's only 5 seeds, so I'll not be bothering again. Martin, if you're reading this - you need to get a ratio system, I'm not providing downloads to leechers who don't give a toss about sharing. Also, not one of them has even said thanks...

Well I'm quite disappointed with that attitude faceless. Thanks are nice n all and are very welcome but isn't the idea to get the programme out there i.e. to provide a service and to promote the good things that Galloway says? I've just announced on another tracker that i'm not allowed to mention here for what reason I don't know, that I'm no longer providing my service because of your dedication and uploading to the onebigtorrent tracker. I'm referring any pm's to onebigtorrent.

Maybe you should organise some kind of voluntary rota system here where people pledge to seed each file to a certain percentage instead of asking Martin to implement a ratio system. Also, maybe you've done this before, I'm only new here, how about a guide to torrents? I know it wasn't easy for me when I first started looking at it.

Mandy wrote:
Does it mean 10 people downloaded, and only 5 offered to share their download?

Seeders are the people who are online and sharing the whole file. With regards to the ratio, if you have downloaded 80MB and uploaded 800MB, your ratio will be 10. If you download the file from here and then jump over to onebigtorrent and start seeding, your ratio should be infinite.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Rendition (re "ratio").

Regarding the issue of appreciation, we are all volunteers .. and we actually like to think people realise we are giving our time for free, and even if not, a little "thank you" goes a long way. There are people who just want to download, and redistribute under their name with no credit. The main issue which faceless raises is that many more people used faceless's uplink bandwidth, but only 5 decided to "share it" .. which places an unfair burden in a peer-to-peer environment. At that rate, it is more efficient for faceless to place the file on the internet for downloading using the usual sendspace, and not bother with OneBigTorrent which can eat up a person's slow uplink. Indeed, that is the reason I don't use peer-to-peer.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone else wants to do it, feel free - personally I expect people to say thanks and to seed in return because it's just good manners. It's not necessary to say thanks here for every file as only those who take part get access and it's that taking-part which satisfies my terms (which I've made clear). Sharing is what it's about in my book - the actual media content itself is irrelevant, it could be anything...
rendition

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy wrote:
Regarding the issue of appreciation, we are all volunteers .. and we actually like to think people realise we are giving our time for free, and even if not, a little "thank you" goes a long way. There are people who just want to download, and redistribute under their name with no credit.

I totally understand what you're saying and I agree with you and thanks goes a long way but the lack of it shouldn't stop you from carrying on. I don't mind if people take my recordings and redistribute them, that's the whole point surely. If some of my recordings have found their way onto georgegalloway.com which they have, I feel glad that I've helped in some way. It shouldn't be primarily about credits.

Well that's how I feel anyway. Sorry if it doesn't fit in here.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All views fit in here.

Sorry, I am not familiar with what material you have provided in the past, but if you provide links to your material (possibly in member only sections) then that would be appreciated.

If you do find any recording of yours used which you would like to have attributed to you, but isn't, just let the web-masters know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: