De Menezes killers go free
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: De Menezes appeal denied Reply with quote

Menezes family lose court battle
The family of Jean Charles de Menezes have lost their High Court battle over a decision not to charge any police officers in connection with his death. Brazilian Mr de Menezes, 27, was shot by police who mistook him for a suicide bomber on the London Tube last year.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said there was "insufficient evidence" to prosecute any of 15 officers probed. Three senior High Court judges dismissed the family's challenge to the CPS decision "on all grounds". Electrician Mr de Menezes was shot at Stockwell tube station, south London, on 22 July, a day after an alleged attempt to detonate bombs on London's transport network and two weeks after the 7 July terror attacks. His family's lawyers said at a two-day hearing that "the rule of law would be undermined" if no individual officer was held personally accountable. They called for officers to be prosecuted for murder or gross-negligence manslaughter.

Lord Justice Richards, sitting with Mr Justice Forbes and Mr Justice Mackay, ruled it was a "reasonable" decision for the Director of Public Prosecutions and the CPS not to order prosecutions on the basis that they were "likely to fail". In a written judgment the court declared there had been no violation of human rights. The family's lawyers later said they were "very disappointed" and would seek an appeal to the House of Lords.

The CPS decided against individual prosecutions but the office of the Metropolitan Police Commissioner will be prosecuted under the Health and Safety at Work Act. If found guilty, the Met would face an unlimited fine. Michael Mansfield QC, appearing for the family, accused the CPS of "usurping the role of a jury". Jonathan Crow QC, acting for the CPS, said he sympathised with the family but that the police believed at the time Mr de Menezes posed a threat and they were acting in self defence.

Outside the court Mr de Menezes cousin Patricia Armani da Silva said the family's battle "will never stop". "Today is a sad day for my family. I am heartbroken. We believe the judges came to the wrong decision," she said. "We were shocked to hear all the new evidence that was revealed in court over the two-day hearing. We heard how the police made mistake after mistake on the day they killed my cousin." She added: "We will continue fighting for justice until someone is held responsible for my cousin's murder."

---------------

I'm sure there's a good few people on that underground train who would provide evidence that the guy wasn't a threat to anyone, let alone the police - at least after the second or third bullet had passed through his skull.

Even if those cops did believe their lives were at threat, someone must have given the order to treat him as a threat, and if they didn't have powerful evidence to that effect then that person should be charged with manslaughter at the very least.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine being in a situation like this. I think it only takes one person to perceive someone as a threat, they start making a fuss, get everyone else excited and before you know it, people are shooting, in an uproar, etc.

It'll be interesting to see if the family take this any further.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a good point for sure, but they'd followed this guy from his front door and even though they later claimed he was running and behaving suspiciously it turned out he wasn't at all.

I hope the family have the money to keep this going until it's resolved fairly - and I've a feeling there's plenty of people ready to help them do just that.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do hope they do get to keep this going. What happened was terrible and totally uncalled for. My heart goes out to all of them.
janbo1960

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a case of state sanctioned murder... pinochet on a smaller scale. Mad
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: De Menezes killers go free Reply with quote

I'm seeing a headline on News 24 saying that the cops who murdered John Charles De Menezes are to be admonished. There's a surprise eh? Bastards the lot of them - holding an innocent man down on the ground, then shooting him five times is acceptable under British law... then again, they've done it enough in the past (such as in cases with alleged IRA members).
luke

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you really surprised?

they knew before they shot him that he wasn't a bomber

i also thought it was more than 5 times?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, my surprise was sarcastic... Sadly I didn't expect any of them to be held accountable.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think British police were among the best in the world (if not *the* best). Then I saw In the Name of the Father, which prompted me to follow up on the story of the Guildford Four.

Now little surprises me.

I was in London last autumn. The police I encountered seemed friendly and helpful. Hard to imagine that they could be so cold-blooded (and apparently unrepentant).

Sad, but not surprising.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police in court over de Menezes shooting
Mirror.co.uk 01/10/2007
The Metropolitan Police went on trial today over the killing of innocent Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes at Stockwell Tube station. The 27-year-old was gunned down by two police officers as he boarded a train on July 22, 2005, in the aftermath of the July terrorist bombings in central London.

The Met are charged with alleged health and safety failures in the way they carried out their duties that day. They deny the allegations. Clare Montgomery, prosecuting, told a jury at the Old Bailey that Mr de Menezes’s death was caused by “fundamental failures” in police planning.

She said the "disaster" of the Brazilian electrician's death was not the result of a fast-moving operation going suddenly and unpredictably awry. "It was,” she said, “the result of fundamental failures to carry out a planned operation in a safe and reasonable way.”

Police followed Mr de Menzes from the block of flats where he lived as he travelled to Stockwell Tube station. Miss Montgomery added: "He was shot a number of times quite deliberately in the head and he died immediately. He was not involved in terrorism in any way."

She said the allegation against police was that they carried out the investigation and pursuit of a suspected suicide bomber "in such a way that the public were exposed to the possibility of danger. The shooting of Jean Charles was a shocking and catastrophic error. His death could have been avoided if the defendant had fulfilled the duty owed to all members of the public to avoid exposing them to unnecessary risks to their health and safety. The prosecution say that the duty was breached in a number of ways."

------------------------

I'm sure if they're found guilty that Menezes' family will be delighted to hear that they got a fine for his death... if they're even found guilty.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit more detail in the times

luke

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
De Menezes officer knew he wasn't bomber

By Caroline Gammell
Last Updated: 1:30am BST 13/10/2007

The Metropolitan Police commander who ordered the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes knew the Brazilian was not one of the wanted July 21 bombers some time before he was killed, the Old Bailey heard yesterday.

Surveillance officers following the 27-year-old formally identified him as not being Hussain Osman, who they were hunting over the failed suicide attempts on London's transport network the day before.

Commander Cressida Dick, who oversaw Operation Theseus, ordered the surveillance Grey Team to stop Mr de Menezes and question him about the area in which he lived.

He had been spotted in Scotia Road in Tulse Hill, south London, which was linked to 28-year-old Osman after the terrorist's gym card was found bearing the same address.

But despite being negatively identified "in minutes", Mr de Menezes was followed from his home, onto a bus and into Stockwell Tube station where he was killed on July 22, 2005.

Cdr Dick ordered a "hard stop" to be carried out by firearms officers after anti-terror and surveillance teams failed to stop him, the court heard.

Details of the identification came from a surveillance co-ordinator giving evidence during the health and safety trial against the Metropolitan Police.

The officer, known only as "Owen", told the court: "There was a point when the senior management group knew that it wasn't Nettletip (Osman's codename). I believe that came across on the radio.

"I can't say what the exact words were but there was a discussion about the situation on the bus and they wanted SO13 anti-terror police to stop the subject and establish intelligence about the residents and flats at Scotia Road.

"If he lived next to the subject he may have been able to tell us things of relevance. It later emerged that they (surveillance) had continued and Cressida Dick asked why the unidentified individual was still being followed if it was not Nettletip."

Clare Montgomery, QC, prosecuting, asked: "Was he identified as positively not Nettletip?"

Owen replied: "Yes, the direction was for the surveillance teams to stop and for the anti-terror officers to gather the intelligence about the block of flats.

"After three or four minutes Cressida Dick and I were aware that the surveillance team had not pulled back and they were still following the male. Her belief was it definitely wasn't the suspect."

Owen said that at no time during the operation was Mr de Menezes, who came to Britain in 2002, "positively identified" as Osman.

A second surveillance officer, identified as "Pat", told jurors how it had been difficult to communicate over the racket in the control room.

"People were shouting to make themselves heard," he said. "I had difficulty getting people's attention because I couldn't leave my seat."

He said there had been trouble with the radio link to the undercover and firearms teams: "There seemed to be problems with the system, but that is not uncommon."

The hearing continues.

from here
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's the unknown stuntman that made Blair look such a star...
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm .. cold blooded murder by Mossad trained trigger happy policemen.

FYI, additional postings on this thread don't seem to show up.

I just posted that the following BBC report doesn't mention that the bullets used are illegal in warfare

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/uk/7045122.stm

Whilst this older report from The Telegraph does mention it :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/11/16/nmenez16.xml
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This BBC report doesn't mention that the bullets are illegal in Warfare ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: