Ex-Army chief - Insurgents 'right to take on US'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Ex-Army chief - Insurgents 'right to take on US' Reply with quote

from bbc http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6618075.stm

Quote:
Insurgents 'right to take on US'

Insurgents in Iraq are right to try to force US troops out of the country, a former British army commander has said.

Gen Sir Michael Rose also told the BBC's Newsnight programme that the US and the UK must "admit defeat" and stop fighting "a hopeless war" in Iraq.

Iraqi insurgents would not give in, he said. "I don't excuse them for some of the terrible things they do, but I do understand why they are resisting."

The total number of UK troops killed in operations in Iraq stands at 147.

'Admit defeat'

Sir Michael has written a book drawing similarities between the tactics of insurgents and George Washington's men in America's War of Independence.

He told Newsnight: "As Lord Chatham said, when he was speaking on the British presence in North America, he said 'if I was an American, as I am an Englishman, as long as one Englishman remained on American native soil, I would never, never, never lay down my arms'.

It is the soldiers who have been telling me from the frontline that the war they have been fighting is a hopeless war
Gen Sir Michael Rose

"The Iraqi insurgents feel exactly the same way."

He said it was time to bring troops home.

"It is the soldiers who have been telling me from the frontline that the war they have been fighting is a hopeless war, that they cannot possibly win it and the sooner we start talking politics and not military solutions, the sooner they will come home and their lives will be preserved."

This meant the UK government would have to admit defeat, he added.

"The British admitted defeat in North America and the catastrophes that were predicted at the time never happened," the ex-Bosnia UN chief said.

"The catastrophes that were predicted after Vietnam never happened.

"The same thing will occur after we leave Iraq."

from icwales

Quote:
Ex-Army chief backs Iraq militants

May 3 2007

A former British Army commander has said he understands why militants are trying to force US troops out of Iraq - and believes they are right.

General Sir Michael Rose - who led forces in Bosnia - also said it is vital Britain and America "admit defeat" and withdraw to protect soldiers' lives.

Sir Michael has written a book comparing the insurgents' tactics with those of George Washington's forces in the American War of Independence.

Asked if he thought the insurgents were "right" to try to get the American forces out of Iraq, he said: "Yes I do.

"As Lord Chatham said, when he was speaking on the British presence in North America, he said 'if I was an American, as I am an Englishman, as long as one Englishman remained on American native soil, I would never, never, never lay down my arms'.

"The Iraqi insurgents feel exactly the same way. I don't excuse them for some of the terrible things they do, but I do understand why they are resisting the Americans."

He added: "It is the soldiers who have been telling me from the front line that the war they have been fighting is a hopeless war, that they cannot possibly win it and the sooner we start talking politics and not military solutions, the sooner they will come home and their lives will be preserved."

Asked if that meant admitting defeat, he said: "Of course we have to admit defeat.

"The British admitted defeat in North America and the catastrophes that were predicted at the time never happened. The catastrophes that were predicted after Vietnam never happened.

"The same thing will occur after we leave Iraq."
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first saw the BBC report, especially the title, I wondered why the BBC allowed it.

If this wasn't on the BBC, and it wasn't an ex-British army commander, it could possibly have fallen foul of anti-terrorism legislation (i.e. incitement or condoning "terrorist" acts).

Makes me wonder if this was an "authorised" leak .. to prepare the public for a withdrawal.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows (or at least should know) that it's a complete shambles out there and that the war has been lost. It's the fact that the generals would have known it was impossible to win before they even went that gets me. I think they, along with the politicians, should be held personally responsible for their "mistakes" like any other employer would.
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US media I am seeing blatant buck-passing between the Generals and the Politicians, e.g. media reports along the lines "It is all the Generals' fault" .. or army people saying "Bush is AWOL having thrown the army into battle alone" ..

A sign the "end is neigh" for this mis-adventure ..

I personally totally blame the Politicians. The generals literally were following orders. Only when the whole world sees the disaster of the orders that the generals can get their side of the story out without too much fear of punishment. Reminds me of the saying about "patriots" jumping on the bandwagon only at the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: