Kazakhstan debate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidGig

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Kazakhstan debate Reply with quote

Still no video of that dust-up with Holbrooke and Perle at the Eurasian Media Forum (EAMF) in Kazakhstan, but here is a little coverage from another participant--
Quote:
Galloway then began his attacks. "The United States brought Osama bin Laden to the region, not Saddam Hussein," he said, decrying the "cant and hypocrisy" of Perle. "Bush is now such a broken reed that even Richard Perle has abandoned him! No one believes our leaders any more -- even if they are telling the truth -- due to the tower of lies they built to justify the invasion."

Ariel Cohen of the Heritage Foundation tried to intervene. "This is no time for finger pointing," said Cohen. "That said, I heard the same Russian analysis before the war. I heard what Primakov said today in 2003, and it was right even then. But the crucial question now is not ‘What was done?’ but ‘What is to be done?’"

Holbrooke then noted that ‘two thirds of the American people now are opposed to the war, and want a quick solution, but there is no such thing. Responsible leaders oppose a precipitate withdrawal."

Galloway then launched into a broadside of undiluted anti-American remarks, which were greeted repeatedly by applause, prompting Holbrooke to note his "dismay and disappointment" and to respond that "If you disagree with the Bush Administration, join the club! So do two thirds of all Americans. But I am saddened that many of you seem to conflate opposing the Bush Administration policies with opposing the American people."

When Galloway repeated his verbal attacks, Holbrooke made a show of storming off the stage. I half-expected someone to take off his shoe and start pounding on the table..."

Sounds exciting. Smile
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great. The usual accusations of anti-Americanism if you don't like the Bush Administration foreign policy.

I wonder if he reprised the great grandmother anecdote, hehe!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: