Imus and Hip hop
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
til661

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Imus and Hip hop Reply with quote

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what you guys think of this but it is something that has always conflicted me, where does irony stop and bigotry begin? Not particularly in the case of this Imus guy who just seems to be a loud-mouth but more generally. I think he also nails mainstream hip-hop well, because it does seem to be little more than macho chestbeating and uber-capitalist vulgarity.

More Taibbi Articles Here
And Here
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is no thin line between irony and bigotry, rather a very wide gradient and different people stand at different points on it. Personally, not much offends me and sometimes I get exasperated at things that offend others.

It always helps if the subversive material is actually funny, though, otherwise one just looks desperate to offend.

Something that raised my eyebrows over the Don Imus thing is that he featured advertisements on his radio show for SickAnimation.com (a website I love) and after his supposedly racist comments, Marc M, the owner of SickAnimation.com, put an announcement on his site saying he'd pulled the adverts. The problem I have with that is most of Marc M's cartoons would probably be met with even greater outrage were they aired on American television, so surely scrapping the advert contract was just a "token" snub.

It worries me how eager broadcasting companies are to sack people who are judged to have offended someone. Then come the blanket snubs and token condemnations from every other direction just so everyone else can make sure they don't seem to be sharing any culpability. Surely the point of the Don Imus show was he is a loudmouthed jerk? Like you don't tune in to listen to Howard Stern expecting a gardening show.
til661

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree Kate. When i say that it conflicts me it isn't that i find anything offensive per se more that I find myself questioning why I am laughing and at who. Am I laughing at the idiot character who makes the remarks or are we laughing at the guy in wheelchair/black guy/mexican delete as appropriate. You are spot on about the animator aswell, as Taibbi says in the article it becomes a gangbang with whole groups of unrelated people jumping on the bandwagon from both sides, who have no real interest in the defence of black women but are merely trying to make political capital out of controversy.
And yes it also helps if they are funny, hence why Jim Davidson and Carlos Mencia are retarded idiots and Richard Pryor and Lenny Bruce are amazing Smile

I do think he does bring up an important issue aswell when he says that it isn't actually what was said but who said it.

I suppose what it comes down to for me is that while I don't find things offensive and sometimes think, like you, why are these people upset it's just a TV show or whatever, at the back of my mind i'm reminded that it's very easy for me to say it because i'm a white male from western europe, a group with the greatest levels of privilege in the world who don't suffer discrimination, so maybe it's not my place to talk about what other people are upset by. I dunno really i suppose, was just throwing it out, haven't really got a fixed opinion on it all.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

til661 wrote:
I do think he does bring up an important issue aswell when he says that it isn't actually what was said but who said it.

Yea, I'm undecided on things like that. In a world where everyone was considered equal then no group of people should be frowned upon more than another group of people for saying the same thing, but the fact is we are not living in that world, racism is alive and kicking and in most cases it has to be conceded that certain things are more acceptable when said by certain people, arguable underlying hypocricy or not.

I remember a thought provoking episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry makes friends with a black gangster rapper, and it highlighted a similar issue: The rapper would greet Larry (who's white, obviously) by saying "How's it goin', mah nigga?", and Larry would respond "Hey, my caucasian!"

Also there was an episode of South Park where Mr Garrison finally admits his homosexuality and he goes around for the rest of the show calling people "Fag!", then when they look offended he points out that it's okay, he's allowed to use that word now because he's gay.

Those aren't exactly elite cultural references, I know, but they're good enough for me.
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it always worth considering the point of view of the person being spoken about... if they are offended then it is offensive.

Whether this would offend any other person making a judgement is immaterial. We all live in unique lifeworlds having experienced very different lives. We should do our best to be sensitive to others regardless of how 'tough' we are.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colston wrote:
I think it always worth considering the point of view of the person being spoken about... if they are offended then it is offensive.

Fair enough, but that comes back to the discussion of where the line is drawn. My point is that there isn't a line, yet obviously one needs to be drawn. I can't accept that if someone is offended by a comment, then the comment de-facto becomes offensive, that is surely absurd! Isn't it?

My mother is extremely old-fashioned and she'd be offended if I dropped a mug on the kitchen floor and said "fuck!" Infact, she's said many times that she'd like to see a ban on swearing on television. Now, while I respectfully make sure never to swear in her prescence because I know it would make her uncomfortable, I wouldn't support the ban she supports just because it offends her.

I simply can't accept that if someone becomes offended by 'X', then 'X' is offensive.

One argument would be that if I suddenly decided that the colour green offends me, does that automatically make all the forests in the world offensive? Of course it doesn't - and while I accept that analogy is a vastly over-exagerated one, it does still demonstrate that there really is no clear line: If you're offended by the colour green you obviously have no case whatsoever, and if you're offended by someone making a very violent and hateful racial slur then you obviously do have a case, but somewhere between those two extremes is this mythical line.

Personally, I'd rather have the line drawn closer to the offensive than the inoffensive, because it's much better to be able to be free to say what you like at the expense of occasionally having to put up with someone saying things that annoy you, than being gagged to the point that everyone is treading on eggshells each time they open their mouths.
til661

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
I simply can't accept that if someone becomes offended by 'X', then 'X' is offensive.

Exactly. For example Darwin's theory of evolution caused massive offence to those of religious sensibilities at the time (and still does in some parts) does that mean that we should afford sensitivity to creationists by denying evolution? Truth overrides offence.
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Colston wrote:

Fair enough, but that comes back to the discussion of where the line is drawn. My point is that there isn't a line, yet obviously one needs to be drawn. I can't accept that if someone is offended by a comment, then the comment de-facto becomes offensive, that is surely absurd! Isn't it?

My mother is extremely old-fashioned and she'd be offended if I dropped a mug on the kitchen floor and said "fuck!" Infact, she's said many times that she'd like to see a ban on swearing on television. Now, while I respectfully make sure never to swear in her prescence because I know it would make her uncomfortable, I wouldn't support the ban she supports just because it offends her.

One argument would be that if I suddenly decided that the colour green offends me, does that automatically make all the forests in the world offensive? Of course it doesn't - and while I accept that analogy is a vastly over-exagerated one, it does still demonstrate that there really is no clear line: If you're offended by the colour green you obviously have no case whatsoever, and if you're offended by someone making a very violent and hateful racial slur then you obviously do have a case, but somewhere between those two extremes is this mythical line.

Personally, I'd rather have the line drawn closer to the offensive than the inoffensive, because it's much better to be able to be free to say what you like at the expense of occasionally having to put up with someone saying things that annoy you, than being gagged to the point that everyone is treading on eggshells each time they open their mouths.

I was thinking more in terms of comments made about or to specific people as in this issue with the basketball team and the antagonistic radio presenter.

In terms of general comments the line is difficult to draw. My feeling is different to yours in that I would draw it a lot closer to the inoffensive than the offensive. The world is an aggressive enough place and language plays a big part in maintaining that. We can take responsibility for how we participate in social discourse and still be free to live a full life.

I do not means in terms of expressing an alternate opinion or point of view but in how we address each other. RESPECTfully perhaps.
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

til661 wrote:
nekokate wrote:

Exactly. For example Darwin's theory of evolution caused massive offence to those of religious sensibilities at the time (and still does in some parts) does that mean that we should afford sensitivity to creationists by denying evolution? Truth overrides offence.

You can express 'truth' sensitively... my 'truth' being there is no 'truth.' nyer
til661

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm offended by your emoticon Laughing

But anyway, of course there is always the matter of what words you choose to argue your case but i'm not sure there is anything you can do outside personally refrain from using provocative language. In terms of broadcast media, comedians, writers etc would need to be federally regulated and I can't see a justification for making laws to deal with aggressive language. Remember language is only a tool it it the emotion behind the language which is the problem not the language itself. So unless you can regulate people's thoughts changing the language will do nothing except restrict the speech of those who are using it to satirize or deal with topics ironically.
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

til661 wrote:
I'm offended by your emoticon Laughing

But anyway, of course there is always the matter of what words you choose to argue your case but i'm not sure there is anything you can do outside personally refrain from using provocative language. In terms of broadcast media, comedians, writers etc would need to be federally regulated and I can't see a justification for making laws to deal with aggressive language. Remember language is only a tool it it the emotion behind the language which is the problem not the language itself. So unless you can regulate people's thoughts changing the language will do nothing except restrict the speech of those who are using it to satirize or deal with topics ironically.

Personally refraining is what we can all do and what we can all model. thumbs
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a fantastic stand-up theater performance by Stewart Lee - the comedy writer responsible for Jerry Springer: The Opera - in which he said something along the lines of "Let's talk about religion. I think it sucks a big dog's cock, what do you think?"

Afterwards there were a huge number of complaints, but the fact was that his audience had paid money specifically to see him, were familiar with his work and expected that sort of thing. If he'd got a megaphone and stood on an orange box in the middle of a public square and shouted things like that to random passers-by, then it would be absolutely inappropriate and I would be happy for him to be arrested for it.

The fact is, it boils down to context. If you pay on the door to see a heavy metal band, then expect swearing from those on stage and crash-dancing from those in the audience. But if you're just innocently walking down the street and someone approaches you, waving their long hair around and shoulder-barging you in the manner you might expect at a heavy metal concert, then that's assault.

Don Imus's audience knew what sort of jerk he was, and the sorts of things he was likely to say, so I don't believe he should have been sacked. After looking at the case closer, it wasn't even a racial slur - he called those female basketball players "nappy-headed hos", and "nappy-headed", in American dialogue, refers to hair that is tangled and matted. At first I thought he meant nappy as in diaper - like one might racistly refer to someone from the Middle East as a "diaper head" because of the cloth they wear on their heads (absolutely pathetic and disgusting in my book), but this is clearly not the case. What he said was definitely derogatory, but one could call Paris Hilton a bow-legged ho and that would be equally derogatory.

We need to remember that he was/is a shock-jock and that's exactly the sort of sensationalist thing people listen to his show expecting him to say.
til661

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
I remember a fantastic stand-up theater performance by Stewart Lee - the comedy writer responsible for Jerry Springer: The Opera - in which he said something along the lines of "Let's talk about religion. I think it sucks a big dog's cock, what do you think?"

Afterwards there were a huge number of complaints, but the fact was that his audience had paid money specifically to see him, were familiar with his work and expected that sort of thing. If he'd got a megaphone and stood on an orange box in the middle of a public square and shouted things like that to random passers-by, then it would be absolutely inappropriate and I would be happy for him to be arrested for it.

The fact is, it boils down to context. If you pay on the door to see a heavy metal band, then expect swearing from those on stage and crash-dancing from those in the audience. But if you're just innocently walking down the street and someone approaches you, waving their long hair around and shoulder-barging you in the manner you might expect at a heavy metal concert, then that's assault.

Don Imus's audience knew what sort of jerk he was, and the sorts of things he was likely to say, so I don't believe he should have been sacked. After looking at the case closer, it wasn't even a racial slur - he called those female basketball players "nappy-headed hos", and "nappy-headed", in American dialogue, refers to hair that is tangled and matted. At first I thought he meant nappy as in diaper - like one might racistly refer to someone from the Middle East as a "diaper head" because of the cloth they wear on their heads (absolutely pathetic and disgusting in my book), but this is clearly not the case. What he said was definitely derogatory, but one could call Paris Hilton a bow-legged ho and that would be equally derogatory.

We need to remember that he was/is a shock-jock and that's exactly the sort of sensationalist thing people listen to his show expecting him to say.

Ok this is just getting weird now you like Stewart Lee aswell Laughing I've loved him since back on Fist of Fun. Absolutely amazing comedian. I managed to get an interview with him a few weeks ago and i asked him similar question to this, about stereotypes and PC
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:

Which is all well and good... but I guess he makes the choice to offend people and if they get offended he must pay the consequencs of his actions.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colston wrote:
nekokate wrote:

Which is all well and good... but I guess he makes the choice to offend people and if they get offended he must pay the consequencs of his actions.

No. That's just wrong, because the consequences were massively disproportionate to the actions. He said something that was derogatory and snide, but certainly wasn't racist, and he was fired from his job and is currently being shunned by all other potential employers, plus having advertisement contracts terminated and is facing what might well be the end of his career in radio. I don't like Don Imus, infact I think he is a total arse, but I still believe he should be afforded the same justice as anyone else.

If we stand by and let people like this Imus dickhead get sacked and pillaried on such tenuous grounds as he was, surely that's the beginning of a slippery slope. Just because we don't like what he said is no reason to turn a blind eye when he is sacked for saying it, because maybe tomorrow we'll say something that inadvertently offends someone else, and who'll be left to say "hang on a sec, this is bullshit"?

til661 wrote:
Ok this is just getting weird now you like Stewart Lee aswell

Hehe, do you remember Histor's Eye? "Egg!!! Like a bird's egg!!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: