Queen: One supports Arsenal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmelina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Queen: One supports Arsenal Reply with quote

THE Queen has been a keen Arsenal supporter for more than 50 YEARS, royal sources say.

And she followed in the footsteps of her late mum the Queen Mother, who was a Gunners fanatic too.

Although the Queen has presented a string of soccer trophies, her club allegiance has never been revealed before.

Her Majesty, 81, is said to have confessed her love of Arsenal at a February reception at Buckingham Palace, attended by players and officials from the club.

Midfielder Cesc Fabregas, 19, said she made a beeline for him after spotting him across the room — then chatted about her pal King Juan Carlos of Spain.

PREMIERSHIP giants Arsenal boast a host of big-name fans.

As well as the Queen, supporters include jockey Frankie Dettori, film star Kevin Costner, Little Britain’s Matt Lucas and EastEnder Barbara Windsor.

Actress Joan Collins and TV’s Jeremy Beadle also follow them — along with Osama Bin Laden.

Fabregas said on Spanish radio: “It seems the Queen follows football and she told us she was an Arsenal fan. She appeared to definitely know who I was and we exchanged a few special words.”

Arsenal were invited to the Palace after a back injury forced the Queen to pull out of opening their new ground, the Emirates Stadium, last October.

The senior royal source said: “Her Majesty has been fond of Arsenal for over 50 years.

“Her late mother was a self-confessed Gooner, due largely to her admiration of their former player Denis Compton.”

The Queen Mother revealed her love of Arsenal to then-schoolboy John Pollex in 1955.

As they chatted about Gunners legend Compton, she told him: “I’m an Arsenal supporter! Didn’t you know?”

The Queen’s grandson Prince Harry, 22, has also shown HIS support for the North London giants — visiting both their old home Highbury and the Emirates Stadium.

Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another reason to hate the ole sow!
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEST HAM RULES Very Happy
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aja wrote:
WEST HAM RULES Very Happy

CHELSEA ROCKS! CHELSEA ROCKS! CHELSEA ROCKS! CHELSEA ROCKS! CHELSEA ROCKS!
maycm
'cheeky banana'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit a degree of confusion re the contrent of your scrolling message IRiSH - unless you are about to change your allegience?
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maycm wrote:
I must admit a degree of confusion re the contrent of your scrolling message IRiSH - unless you are about to change your allegience?

nah just throwing confusion into the thread. I'd not change my allegiance if I was tied up to a chair with a mob hitman taking my teeth out one by one with a pair of pliers.

It had a shower after doing it as I felt rather dirty Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: