N.J. Gov.'s SUV Went 91 Mph Before Crash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegas
Diamond Geezer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: N.J. Gov.'s SUV Went 91 Mph Before Crash Reply with quote

The sport utility vehicle carrying Gov. Jon S. Corzine was traveling about 91 mph moments before it crashed, the superintendent of state police said Tuesday.

The governor was critically injured when the vehicle crashed into a guardrail on the Garden State Parkway just north of Atlantic City last week. He apparently was not wearing his seat belt as he rode in the front passenger's seat.

The speed limit along that stretch of the parkway is 65 mph.

The state trooper-driven SUV was in the left lane with its emergency lights flashing when a pickup tried to get out of its way. Instead, it set off a chain reaction that resulted in the crash.

Corzine broke his left thigh bone, 11 ribs, collarbone and chest bone. He also fractured a vertebrae in his lower back.

He remained in critical but stable condition Tuesday and doctors were assessing when he might be ready to breathe without a ventilator.

Doctors have said he doesn't have brain damage or paralysis, and is doing well for someone who sustained so many injuries.

The driver, trooper Robert Rasinski, could be charged if investigators determine the crash was preventable, Superintendent of State Police Col. Rick Fuentes said.

Rasinski and an aide to the governor were not seriously hurt.

There is no timetable for when Corzine may be able to resume governing the state. Sen. President Richard J. Codey is acting governor.

Once Corzine is breathing unassisted, he should be able to speak. That milestone would make it possible for physical therapists to do more to help him regain use of his leg - a process expected to take up to six months.

Corzine, a 60-year-old former investment banker, gave up his seat in the U.S. Senate to become governor in 2006.

Interesting to see if the trooper gets prosecuted there can't be any excuse for driving at that speed
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused...was the governor in the troopers SUV? Was the trooper headed to an emergency or just flashing his lights and speeding?
cori

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it was the guv's suv and they were apparently in "an emergency" to meet with Don Imus and the rutgers basketball team over the "nappy headed ho's" comment.
fritz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL cori quick thinking.I wonder if the Governor recived a summons for not wearing his seat belt? Confused
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritz wrote:
LOL cori quick thinking.I wonder if the Governor recived a summons for not wearing his seat belt? Confused

I read somewhere that it is police "policy" not to ticket when the individual has been seriously injured (like in this case)
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
fritz wrote:

I read somewhere that it is police "policy" not to ticket when the individual has been seriously injured (like in this case)

Confused They sure as hell don't have that "policy" in this town!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think not either - when there's been an accident like this the blame has to be placed legally at someone's door, for insurance purposes at least.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I would think not either - when there's been an accident like this the blame has to be placed legally at someone's door, for insurance purposes at least.

Exactly. I can imagine the police wouldn't issue the ticket there at the scene but I would be sure they would be getting it to the person who caused the accident as soon as they could.
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reports I have seen is that they are not charging either the Ford driver (who drove off), or the car the ford driver caused to swerve into the motorcade. Their excuse was they were trying to get out of the way of the motorcade, but a cone in the hard shoulder caused the ford driver to swerve.

They are not charging the state trooper driving the car going at 91mph on grounds he was only trying to do his job of protecting the Governor by overtaking cars.

As such, I bet no-one will be charged.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
The reports I have seen is that they are not charging either the Ford driver (who drove off), or the car the ford driver caused to swerve into the motorcade. Their excuse was they were trying to get out of the way of the motorcade, but a cone in the hard shoulder caused the ford driver to swerve.

They are not charging the state trooper driving the car going at 91mph on grounds he was only trying to do his job of protecting the Governor by overtaking cars.

As such, I bet no-one will be charged.

Last I had heard on the news this morning was the Ford driver wouldn't be charged for leaving the scene but was probably going to be charged for reckless driving. Unless something has changed since then I don't know.
Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/story/7413418p-7308562c.html

"The report essentially exonerates Kenneth Potts, of Little Egg Harbor Township, the 20-year-old driver of a red Ford pickup truck that had been blamed for the accident. "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: