Wolfowitz to stay at World Bank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Wolfowitz to stay at World Bank Reply with quote

Wolfowitz 'to stay' at World Bank
The embattled World Bank President, Paul Wolfowitz, has indicated he does not plan to resign over a pay scandal. Mr Wolfowitz told a news conference: "This is important work and I intend to continue it." He has been under pressure to quit after admitting helping his partner win a promotion and pay rise.

He spoke after World Bank governments described the scandal as a matter of "great concern" but stopped short of asking him to step down. The statement from the bank's 24-member policymaking Development Committee came after talks in Washington that were overshadowed by the controversy. "The current situation is of great concern to all of us," the committee said. "We have to ensure that the bank can effectively carry out its mandate and maintain its credibility and reputation as well as the motivation of the staff," the statement said. The final decision on Mr Wolfowitz's future will be taken by the bank's board of governors. The committee's statement said it supported the board's actions in looking into the matter and had asked it to continue its work.

At a news conference held shortly afterwards, Mr Wolfowitz was asked several times if he intended to resign.

"Look, I believe in the mission of this organisation, and I believe that I can carry it out. I've had many expressions of support," he said. But he refused to be drawn further, saying that he would wait for the board to complete its work. "I'm not going to pre-empt what they're doing by getting into discussion of it here."

The row concerns events that occurred shortly after Mr Wolfowitz assumed his position at the World Bank. His girlfriend, Libyan-born Shaha Riza, was seconded from the World Bank to the US state department to avoid creating a conflict of interest. There she received promotions and pay rises which the bank's staff association say were "grossly out of line" with bank rules. The World Bank's executive board has said that it did not give its approval for Ms Riza's wage rise. On Thursday, Mr Wolfowitz issued a statement apologising for the controversy. "I made a mistake, for which I am sorry," he said.

In recent days, although the US has continued to support Mr Wolfowitz, other nations have questioned his position, arguing that the controversy has damaged the bank. World Bank staff have also called for his resignation. A former deputy secretary of defence under George W Bush, Mr Wolfowitz was seen as a controversial nominee to the role from the beginning due to his part in driving forward the war in Iraq.

--------------------

How this guy has remained this long is a mystery...
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people can get away with anything and still come out smelling like a rose.
nico

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I look at it this way.

Now that AIPAC has been exposed and wolfowitz is known to be a member and also behind encouraging bush to wage a war against Iraq, I think this may be well a pr stunt to show that he has nothing against muslims and he has delibrately chosen a libyan-born girl friend for that reason.
Call me a fool or whatever you want, but I have seen these neocon zionist to try every cheap tactic in the past and this wouldn't be anything new to me.
Unless she is a Libyan zionist herself, and only then I would believe the story to be genuine.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sign the petition to get him sacked Smile

http://www.avaaz.org/en/sack_wolfowitz/
Marcella-FL
Don't make me pull this van over!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the girlfriend hot at least?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: