Should Britons have a right to carry concealed guns ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should law-abiding citizens have a right to carry concealed guns in Britain ?
Yes
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
No
92%
 92%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 13

Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Should Britons have a right to carry concealed guns ? Reply with quote

The issue of "gun-totting" came up in a thread.

Since criminals seem to have easy access to guns and knives (as George discussed recently), and with the recent fatal shooting in the face of a pregnant lady in London, I thought it interesting to have a poll on whether law-abiding citizens should have a right to carry concealed guns in Britain (like a 2nd amendment right in the USA).

Note that people can be licensed in Britain by the Police, e.g. for shotguns. The issue would be whether this should be extended to allow concealed weapons to be carried by citizens (e.g. a female having it in her handbag for protection).

As background, from :
----------------
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/columbineeight.php

"The historical context of Columbine seldom gets any mention in the mainstream media. State after state had legalized conceal carry laws for law abiding citizens. As each state passed those laws, crime plummeted."
----------------
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to be able to carry concealed weapons in the US you need to go through special training and pass a course. If you are carried a concealed weapon and do not have the proper training and license it can carry serious penalities.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
In order to be able to carry concealed weapons in the US you need to go through special training and pass a course. If you are carried a concealed weapon and do not have the proper training and license it can carry serious penalities.

Good point .. and I would expect the same in the UK .. i.e. voting "yes" doesn't mean criminals or untrained people should carry it. Analogy is a driving license. Note the question says "law-abiding" .. i.e. they need to follow the law to be allowed to carry a gun, and that law could include training, safe-keeping requirements -- whereas now only the criminals and police carry concealed guns.

If you voted no, then do you mean that even if trained, you would be against the idea ?

p.s. Skylace, I assume you are in the USA. Does your state have concealed gun legislation passed ? And if it did, would you carry a gun ?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm against it simply on the grounds of the accidental victims that would without doubt occur.

In a close-quarters attack pepper-spray or even a taser would probably be more effective - unless you actually wanted to kill the person.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I'm against it simply on the grounds of the accidental victims that would without doubt occur.

In a close-quarters attack pepper-spray or even a taser would probably be more effective - unless you actually wanted to kill the person.

Interesting reply faceless .. but aren't both pepper-spray or tasers illegal for citizens in Britain ? Are you saying Britain SHOULD legalise these ? [if so, you may have my vote as well] FYI, a knife would also be effective in close-quarters .. though it is more lethal.

Though if criminals carry guns, I don't think a citizen with pepper-spray or a taser has a chance.

p.s. Whilst there may be accidents, even if only a very small % of people carry guns, that could scare the criminals so that we see a huge drop in assaults. i.e. it is a risk/reward issue. As the article mentioned "As each state passed those laws, crime plummeted."
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say anything should be legalised or not. I just said that it would be better to have non-lethal protection for the sake of innocent victims.

Being a big guy I've seen women at night look frightened cos I happen to be on the same bit of street as them - if they had guns then what would stop one who was scared from using it in "self-defence"?

If you need a gun to feel safe, I recommend moving somewhere else.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am against guns Full stop .....

I live In USA now ....have done for 15 years ..... But I am a Londoner.... Guns Cause nothing but Dead People ...
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
If you need a gun to feel safe, I recommend moving somewhere else.

Easy movement is the preserve of the rich .. who I recently read are buying stab and bullet proof vests for their children :
Parents are buying stab-proof vests to protect their children
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

preserve of the rich? Most people who live in council or housing association houses are able to do exchanges with people in just about any other area in the uk.

as for wealthy parents buying their kids stab-vests? Surely that just proves that they'd rather put their offspring at risk rather than do the safer thing? Their incomes seem to be more important to them than their children if you ask me.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the voting numbers, looks like the 2nd amendment is a preserve of the center-right constitutionalists.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.

I cannot think of anything more foreign than carrying a firearm.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sauce wrote:
no.

I cannot think of anything more foreign than carrying a firearm.

I would agree, unless the state is failing (or unable) to protect you.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would having a gun have protected that woman who was shot last week? Also, it should be noted that she was only 2 months pregnant, so it wouldn't have been apparent to the shooter. Not that that makes it any less bad in real effect...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:

p.s. Skylace, I assume you are in the USA. Does your state have concealed gun legislation passed ? And if it did, would you carry a gun ?

Yes, New Mexico has concealed carry legalized. And no I do not have a gun and didn't get one even after the law past.
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
how would having a gun have protected that woman who was shot last week? Also, it should be noted that she was only 2 months pregnant, so it wouldn't have been apparent to the shooter. Not that that makes it any less bad in real effect...

We can not be sure it would have made a difference since we don't know the background to the incident. But if the murderer was in the house when he shot her, i wonder if he was invited in, or barged in, and whether he would have done that if he thought she may have had a gun. As I said, I don't know the background, so you can't tell in this instance.

Very sad indeed, and makes you wonder if her murderer would have cared if he knew she was pregnant.

p.s. Thanks Skylace for your feedback. Shows your principles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: