US man arrested for feeding homeless

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janbo1960

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: US man arrested for feeding homeless Reply with quote

Police in the United States city of Florida have arrested an activist for feeding the homeless in downtown Orlando.

According to police, Food Not Bombs charity group spokesman Eric Montanez was charged with violating a controversial law against feeding large groups of destitute people in the city centre.

Mr Montanez was filmed by undercover officers on Wednesday as he served "30 unidentified persons food from a large pot utilising a ladle," an arrest affidavit said.

The Orlando area is home to Disney World and Universal Studios Florida.

The Orlando law, which is supported by local business owners who say the homeless drive away customers, has been challenged in court by civil rights groups.

It allows charities to feed more than 25 people at a time within 3.2 kilometres of the Orlando City Hall only if they have a special permit.

They are able to receive two permits a year.

Police have collected a vial of the stew Mr Montanez was serving as evidence.

Police spokeswoman Barbara Jones says it is the first time anyone had been arrested under the feeding ban.

Mr Montanez has been charged with a misdemeanour.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in hell is wrong with feeding homeless people no matter where they are? This is cruelty beyond my comprehension where a person is charged for helping his fellow man. Would they rather see them starve to death so their customers aren't offended by seeing people less fortunate than themselves? How bloody inhumane and callous these bastards are. They both need and deserve to be given a hand up, and if someone is able to do so it should be seen as a positive action.

I can't believe they're punishing someone for helping others. This is really pathetic.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Easter Christians ...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I'm reminded of a quote from Life of Brian (about Jesus): "bloody do-gooder" Very Happy

They should be praising him for his act of charity; not banging him up.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just getting sadder and sadder. I'm actually starting to feel sympathy for normal americans after reading stories like this. I just hope there's enough coutnries ready to take them as refugees when the military finally take over!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story makes it sound like the homeless are sitting on absolutely every street corner and on the doorstep of every fast food establishment. What's it going to hurt to feed them? Apparently, they'd rather let their own citizens starve then drive away a tourist. Lovely.
harry perkins

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the future the neoliberals want, and they'll get it unless we stop them.
JWDread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should all take note of this . A law invented to starve people . I my uneducated view , is a crime against society . Not only does it condone allowing people to suffer . It also makes criminals of those who wish to help . Too me it matters not the amount of people and where , but more that someone wishes to pass laws of such . I really do feel it is us and them, there is no conspiracy going on, all that is happening , is right in front of us, which makes it worse if you ask me , and starting to make me feel as if enough is enough . FSU-DGC!.
nico

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these Americans apply for an economic asylum in Europe. That's where it's all coming to. Imagine that !
nico

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Capitaism sucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: