a plant is born
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: a plant is born Reply with quote

i grow a few different types of plants and herbs ( although my basil and coriander got attacked by spider mites last week Sad ) and noticed that this one particular seedling had popped through the soil with the seed case still on the leaves!

so out came the camera ...

* couldn't get the bigger animation uploaded so heres a smaller version *
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cool post.

Sorry to hear about your basil and corriander. Ours is doing wonderful however, my dill isn't looking too good this year.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some more on the go luckily ( we use a lot of basil and coriander in this house! ), and it gave the slugs in the garden a feast Smile

do you do or use anything to keep bugs and stuff away?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
i have some more on the go luckily ( we use a lot of basil and coriander in this house! ), and it gave the slugs in the garden a feast Smile

do you do or use anything to keep bugs and stuff away?

I do old fashioned stuff I learned from my great-oma (through my mom). Salt is great at keeping slugs away. If you can put some around the pots you put it in, go for it.

I also use other plants to repel certain bugs. Gnats hate cammomile so I plant that around other plants. And lady bugs work wonders! They eat aphids and other nasties so if you can get some into your garden they'll really help with pest control.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks skylace, i'll try get a small army of lady bugs trained up for defensive purposes Laughing get ready for bug warfare in the herb garden wink
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
thanks skylace, i'll try get a small army of lady bugs trained up for defensive purposes Laughing get ready for bug warfare in the herb garden ;-)

Laughing As long as you don't get them little helmets!
luke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they already have armor Smile in a nice poker dot design as well Laughing
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For spider mites on herbs and other plants like orchids, my gran use to use a mixture of dish cleaning fluid and cooking oil and she swore by it. My mum uses the same thing to this day.

I've a good collection of orchids in my kitchen right now and keeping a good eye on them. I got a bit of discolouring and pits on some of the petals on one so I gave them a spray just incase.

I'll actually take some pictures of them as they're amazing looking and my first go with orchids Very Happy
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
For spider mites on herbs and other plants like orchids, my gran use to use a mixture of dish cleaning fluid and cooking oil and she swore by it. My mum uses the same thing to this day.

I've a good collection of orchids in my kitchen right now and keeping a good eye on them. I got a bit of discolouring and pits on some of the petals on one so I gave them a spray just incase.

I'll actually take some pictures of them as they're amazing looking and my first go with orchids Very Happy

That sounds like a good tip Irish. Thanks. I'll have to give it a go.

How much dish cleaning fluid per cooking oil?
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:

That sounds like a good tip Irish. Thanks. I'll have to give it a go.

How much dish cleaning fluid per cooking oil?

My mum will be calling me this afternoon and I'll ask her exactly how to mix it for outdoor and indoor as it's a wee bit different Smile
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's me new kids Very Happy I put them all together so you could see the different colours.

They are a spider mites feast so I'm constantly having to inspect them to be sure they're free and clear.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh those are lovely! I really need to get that mix.
I wish I had more time to spend with my plants right now, but I don't!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:

It can be an expensive hobby with orchids and they tend to die easily so you have to find the perfect spot for them with a mix of sun and shade, then there's feeding them and watering and if you do either even the slightest bit too much they go belly up on you.

They are beautiful to look at though and really gives a good feeling when you see the flowers multiply. These ones are happy girls .....today. Tomorrow they could all be hanging like wet noodles Laughing
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

It can be an expensive hobby with orchids and they tend to die easily so you have to find the perfect spot for them with a mix of sun and shade, then there's feeding them and watering and if you do either even the slightest bit too much they go belly up on you.

They are beautiful to look at though and really gives a good feeling when you see the flowers multiply. These ones are happy girls .....today. Tomorrow they could all be hanging like wet noodles Laughing
Wow you really have a green finger Irish! MY wife and I are pretty good at killing most of our flower plants - but we have been doing much better lately Very Happy
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

Laughing That's one reason I've not gotten them here myself. With the climate we have, it would be so much work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Videos, pics, audio, jokes, lists etc All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: