GG, Putin & Animal Cruelty
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: GG, Putin & Animal Cruelty Reply with quote

I'm sad to say I'm finding more things about which I don't agree with GG.

Today, he had a few things to say about horse racing and animal rights. He dismissed out of hand that horse racing might be morally wrong, suggesting that horses like to be ridden. Sure, that's true. A trail ride or just out running and kicking up with their mates. But if they fall, we don't kill them. They only rarely break anything as vital as a leg in any non-racing situation. Stepping in a gopher hole would be one of the only real dangers. And I know GG doesn't gamble, so why was he so dogmatic about it?

He also said something like "chickens only exist to be eaten." Interesting logic...

He also seemed to have a peculiar point of view on Putin. My impression over the past several years was that he has been moving further and further away from the democratic ideals he supposedly espouses. The suspicion of his hand in recent murders and authoritarian stifling of any dissent do not bode well for Russia in the near future.

Russia Turns on Putin (the Guardian)

What do you think?
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I don't know much about Russian politics, but Putin is a devious, cruel and ruthless individual, you don't get to the top of the KGB by being a humanist.

I also do not like crass exploitation of animals. So unnecessary, and inhumane. To say that chickens exist only to be eaten is something that Gaunt might say, and rightly be derided for.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sauce wrote:
I agree. I don't know much about Russian politics, but Putin is a devious, cruel and ruthless individual, you don't get to the top of the KGB by being a humanist.

Must be true if Murdoch's press & BBC tell us it is so.

Why can't Russia be a proper democracy so we can get real humanist like Bush & Blair to be head of government.

Also, how "humanist" could he be if he only reinvaded Chechnya with the West's nod & a wink .. a real humanist would have invaded without such a tacit OK.

Also, Putin also doesn't care about the financial & economic security of his citizens .. otherwise he would be invading lots of resource rich countries round the world .. rather than meekly complaining about US troops and anti-missile shields surrounding his country.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't come that with me.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sauce wrote:

Don't come that with me.

Who has killed more & caused more suffering round the world : Putin or Bush or Blair ?

Who is trying & succeeding in reducing the disparity between rich & poor ?

Which economy has had a better performance in the last few years ?

p.s. A humanist would probably stay in the KGB. A non-humanist would leave and become a mercenary, or arms dealer, or oil tycoon.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sauce wrote:

Don't come that with me.

On the BBC yesterday, they said the Russian demonstration was huge .. then they said a few hundred (possibly 150) were arrested after being surrounded and outnumbered by a few thousand soldiers.

Think back to London : Why was a REALLY HUGE pro-peace rally reported as being tiny when the BBC claimed incorrectly only a few thousand turned up.

This is all the MIC turning on a leader who won't roll over and let them rape (or re-rape) the country.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galloway mentioned earlier in the show about the French elections and how he was going to support some "Royale" woman. Not because he liked her politics but because she was less bad than the others and was the only one with a chance of winning. That's simple pragmatism and while it's not much cop it's about the only option.

As far as his shite about animals being used for our entertainment or eating was concerned I found to be old-fashioned in the extreme. Would he personally shoot a horse in the head if it had broken a leg in teh same way he'd "wring the neck of a chicken" for his dinner? I think sometimes he spent too much time sniffing the arses of the big boys in the marines when he was in the army.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am personally off red-meat .. out of sheer pragmatism .. they are linked to colon cancer -- probably thanks to all the hormones they use in the animals.

Even oily fish is now linked to cancer thanks to pollutants .. whereas recently we were told oily fish was good.

We are poisoning our planet one way or another.
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone share my suspicion that the sheer amount of time he's on the radio is causing his entertainment persona to change unconsciously? More loud, more opinionated, more listeners... ??

The hints of sexism in the last few shows certainly made for interesting debate.

My personal opinion is that races like the Grand National are pointlessly dangerous, and I'd certainly not like to have to shoot an injured horse, or chop a chicken's head off. I am a hypocrite, of course, because I love eating meat!
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with a regular TV show as well coming up, I don't know who wouldn't be changed by all the constant debating ... or possibly, you get to see a deeper side of a person.

I suppose that's one reason why relationships break up ...
Comsatangel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't listen to the show, and I won't listen to this particular one. I'm a vegan and animal rights and welfare activist. I'm not on the extreme side of things and I do nothing illegal. I also respect the fact that others have opinions which differ from my own. But I can't bear to listen to that kind of stuff. If George really did say that horses like being ridden then that has to be one of the most ignorant comments I've heard. Sure, a cantor along a country lane is fine, and I have several friends who ride. But to force a horse to run round and round a track whilst beating it with a whip? Please, it doesn't look like much fun to me.

Interesting, so that's about three GG shows I couldn't make it to the end of in the last fortnight: The one with the religious pricks from Mediawatch on, the one when he makes fun of a woman because of her weight and last night's, which I won't even listen to, as I anticipate that his comments on his attitude to animals will completely boil my piss. Maybe he'll be on better from when he's had a week off, or after the local elections.
major.tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Does anyone share my suspicion that the sheer amount of time he's on the radio is causing his entertainment persona to change unconsciously? More loud, more opinionated, more listeners... ??

The hints of sexism in the last few shows certainly made for interesting debate.

I have noticed him being louder and more jerk-ish. Maybe that's what he was instructed to do by management. Perhaps he did it subconsciously to appear more in-step with Gaunt's regular audience. Or maybe he just had a bad week. Not being able to discuss politics could've been part of it.

Quote:
I am a hypocrite, of course, because I love eating meat!

I eat meat too, mostly chicken but I love the occasional steak, so I'm no less guilty in that sense. But there's a difference between using the animal for food and using it for sport. One keeps us alive; the other amounts to, "ooh, that's a fast boy, then."
nekokate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding that Simpsons YouTube clip:

"Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about."

Isn't that exactly the argument racist warmongers use to justify flattening the Middle East??

Reminds me, depressingly, of this interview with Bush:

Colston

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:

Comsatangel wrote:
Maybe he'll be on better from when he's had a week off, or after the local elections.

Maybe there is something in Gaunt's chair... he did say he had to sit down for one or two shows... Confused
major.tom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekokate wrote:
Reminds me, depressingly, of this interview with Bush:

Classic scare tactics.

For an idiot, he can string a few words together. Though he did do some obvious footwork by mis-stating the question he was asked -- twice. "You asked about..." (eg. "your family") *cough* Bullshit *cough* If anything, the video makes me think he's a bit less stupid and a bit more evil, although it's virtually neck-and-neck.

I did enjoy Lauer asking, "if it's legal, why not do it at Guantanamo?" The best way to expose a villain is with simple logic. (Although I thought they *are* using water boarding at Guantanamo. The real question is "what can you do in secret CIA prisons that you can't do at Gitmo?" The answer: dispose of the bodies without arousing suspicion.)

I don't know if you caught Jon Stewart using a portion of this clip (tangentially) on the Daily Show. I'll put it on sendspace -- it's a brilliant clip. http://www.sendspace.com/file/0kdbrr (32 MB)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: