Trident
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth 100 hospitals who would treat MILLIONS every year ?

I don't think so.

See 4th cartoon on http://www.georgegalloway.com/page.php?page=content/cartoons.html
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG_Fan wrote:
Is it worth 100 hospitals who would treat MILLIONS every year ?

I don't think so.

See 4th cartoon on http://www.georgegalloway.com/page.php?page=content/cartoons.html

this one?

I wrote to Leon Kuhn, designer of these cartoons, the other week about posting his stuff here, but forgot to reply to him when he got back to me... his stuff's good.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any single justification for Trident other than looking hard in the playground of international politics. Thing is, there is no perceivable threat to the UK now or in the future that couldn't be dealt with via NATO at a push. And, to paraphrase Billy Connolly, I'd much rather be blown to bits by a conventional weapon than a nuclear bomb.

I'm more concerned with the state of the planet after a nuclear war than with anything else. If humanity is stupid enough to blow itself to bits then so be it, but there's no reason to fuck the planet in the process.
Lucky Lucan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I did not realize that there were so many soothsayers here, any chance you could post tonights lotto numbers, after all if you can see 20 or 30 years into the future it should be easy.

By the way we could easily afford 100 new hospital's and have Trident.

Here is one possible scenario for you to ponder, it's 2025 you are Prime Minister of Britain, and you have scrapped the nuclear deterrent, a extreme right wing Zionist group is in power in Israel, and has declared it's intention to invade the surrounding Arab countries, and eliminate the local population to expand Israel, what are you going to do about it?
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

this one?

YES !!

faceless wrote:
I wrote to Leon Kuhn, designer of these cartoons, the other week about posting his stuff here, but forgot to reply to him when he got back to me... his stuff's good.

I agree .. they are very good. He is spotlighted on : http://www.spiderednews.com/LeonKuhn.htm :

"A series of cartoons by Respect cartoonist Leon Kuhn. His latest work will be added regularly to the site throughout the year. Leon's work can also be seen on the main Respect website and at his own website www.leonkuhn.org.uk where postcards of some of the work can be ordered."
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that "Lucky Lucan" does not address the ILLEGALITY of replacing Trident .. going against the NPT agreement .. I suppose that's consistent with Israel, US and Britain working in concert to bomb Iran because it DID follow, to the letter, the NPT agreement.

Iran is learning from Iraq experience, where Saddam Hussein DID BARE ALL, including his undies {metaphorically} and Iraq was still ILLEGALLY invaded.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Lucan wrote:
Wow I did not realize that there were so many soothsayers here, any chance you could post tonights lotto numbers, after all if you can see 20 or 30 years into the future it should be easy.

By the way we could easily afford 100 new hospital's and have Trident.

Here is one possible scenario for you to ponder, it's 2025 you are Prime Minister of Britain, and you have scrapped the nuclear deterrent, a extreme right wing Zionist group is in power in Israel, and has declared it's intention to invade the surrounding Arab countries, and eliminate the local population to expand Israel, what are you going to do about it?

If Israel was to attack the surrounding countries such as Syria and Egypt they'd get their arses kicked as militarily they wouldn't be strong enough to defend all fronts in an all-out war. And I don't believe they would use nuclear weapons unless it was absolutely necessary because of the poisoning of the area. There are still sheep in Scotland that are tainted by the effects of Chernobyl and that was thousands of miles away, so why risk that unless there was absolutely no option?

Having trident is a sign of insecurity and weakness, not otherwise.

(I've deleted all the posts that followed this as they are not the kind of thing that this site is meant to be about.)
Lucky Lucan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame you deleted your own post about whether the maker's of Trident could have inserted something in the software that would stop Britain targeting certain area's of the world, because it's the first sensible argument against Trident as a weapons system.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't me who said that - but the whole thing was getting out of hand so I just pared back the lot.

Here's a sensible argument against Trident - it's a waste of money. There's nothing more sensible than being able to spend money on what the country needs, rather than what those in power want, especially when they come from a legacy of being against all nuclear weapons.

Hypocrites and liars the lot of them - and they've convinced you that there is a reasonable threat.
Lucky Lucan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, still a good point though.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related to the issue of "back doors" into the Trident software, which could make the system unreliable (i.e. not follow the instructions of the UK) :

http://www.freespeechwar.com/smf/index.php?topic=1456.0
"Israelis Hold Keys to NSA and U.S. Government Computers"

Though I am trying to find a reference to an article about a "secure" messaging system sold to governments round the world which allowed a few western spy agencies to monitor EVERY message.

I just found the article about the messaging system, but a search of "Crypto AG" will find more :

http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/1999/feb/m07-017.shtml

Crypto AG: The NSA's Trojan Whore?

For At Least Half A Century, The Us Has Been Intercepting And
Decrypting The Top Secret Documents Of Most Of The World'S Governments

posts combined - please use the edit button...

The following is a posting by "Lucky Lucan" **accidentally merged by the powers that be :
"There are two or three arguments I can think of (although not the guff about gps) why Trident is not the best deterrent for Britain, anyway I think it's highly unlikely that Britain would use Trident against the wishes of the U.S, I don't think Trident is the best system, just better than nothing, much better would be something akin to the French system."
Lucky Lucan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy GG FAN has nicked what I said.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah crap - that must have been me... what a shambles!
Mandy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted Lucky. I have now added a comment to the bottom of the posting.
Lucky Lucan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joshing, have a look at the bottom of your last post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: