Tony Blair's daughter in suicide bid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting line by the PCC is :
"It judged that the naming of the complainant herself - even though it carried with it an implicit identification of her child - was necessary in the context of the story and enabled a fuller, legitimate discussion of the issues at stake, including whether the State in general and Tower Hamlets Council in particular was able to offer appropriate schooling for children with special needs."

In the story which started the thread, the power of the story would still be there if the minister was not named. Therefore I agree with faceless and the majority on this thread that it was correct not to publish the original story.

But there should have been some discussion, even in the most general way, about the pressures on children to "succeed", and the ever rising mental problems (which are linked to Suicide and eating problems).

This must be in the public interest, especially if ministers have the power to alleviate it (e.g. by making the school / career system fairer).
Karl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
"The fact that a Cabinet Minister - who had previously been Secretary of State for Education and Skills - had elected to remove her child from the state system to be enrolled in a private school raised important issues for public debate," it said.

It's cut and dried - and I doubt very much that the child in this case would be affected in any way.

yes especially as she was education secretary. So it is in the public interest to talk about the children of politicians.
When you go into politics you are held above the general public and have to act in a certain way. All this new labour bunch seem to send their kids to expensive schools yet us average punters are expected to put up with PFI, no sports, photocopies off the national curriculum, all the homework these days seems to be cut and past from the bbc website. Very little learning and very little effort. When i was at school homework meant struggle.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
faceless wrote:
"The fact that a Cabinet Minister - who had previously been Secretary of State for Education and Skills - had elected to remove her child from the state system to be enrolled in a private school raised important issues for public debate," it said.

It's cut and dried - and I doubt very much that the child in this case would be affected in any way.

yes especially as she was education secretary. So it is in the public interest to talk about the children of politicians.

Not if that child just attempted to commit suicide. Any child of any person, famous or no, doesn't need to be put in the spotlight after something like that. Your comparison is about as good as comparing apples and tape.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Karl wrote:
faceless wrote:

Not if that child just attempted to commit suicide. Any child of any person, famous or no, doesn't need to be put in the spotlight after something like that. Your comparison is about as good as comparing apples and tape.

I couldn't agree more with you Skylace, but no matter what is said, some won't see it that way. Rather unfortunate really. While some care more about the well being of children, some feel getting a message out is more important, even if it costs the child her life it seems. Intrusive media coverage would do nothing but bring the one with troubles down further and they'd probably succeed if they thought of attempting it again....and being scattered all over the pages of newspapers and tv, I'd say chances are high that they would.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: