Question Time Iraq Special next week (22/3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colston

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George not so sure tonight... hasn't been confirmed.
Mandy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very disappointing to have heard that tonight.

In the the thread on the Downing Street Petition which wasn't accepted since they are probably scared to even hear GG's name, I wrote :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which is probably why the BBC won't invite GG to be on Question time next week {even after discussing it with him last week). George just said on TalkSport he has not had a confirmation of his invitation,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colston

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George stated that it would be an invited audience...

..but this appears to be the usual run of things.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/question_time/6419479.stm

What say you?

Any news on the panel?
luke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i noticed that colston, looks like its the norm, and thinking about it, i guess they would have to do something like that. be interesting to know how the bbc share out the seats though, what they think is fair and balanced ...

i got a feeling galloway won't be on it, they didn't mention it last week ...
luke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS WEEK'S PANEL:

John Bolton
Des Browne MP
Dr Liam Fox MP
Charles Kennedy MP
Benazir Bhutto
Tony Benn

Sad
nekokate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Bhutto and Benn will be good viewing!
harry perkins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benn will be good, Kennedy could actually be good on this subject (unless he gets too hung up on the UN), not so sure about Bhutto. I've got 2 and a half essays to do for Friday, I'd have interrupted that for George but now I'm not so sure. I wonder if they excluded him for criticising the BBC like that caller who used to work for them said, or if they were just concerned for Ned Flanders' (Bolton's) safety?
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny comparison, Harry, between Bolton & Flanders, but the only thing they have in common is a mustache. Ned is annoyingly nice, while Bolton's a colossal prick.

Too bad BBC didn't follow through and include GG. But that would've taken more courage than I've seen them display in the last few years. If they've rigged the audience, they might as well rig the panel.

Granted, I'm not as learned on British MP's so that might not be as bad an imbalance as it appears...
mickyv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely ridiculous that on the anniversary debate of the Iraq War, the most vocal leader of the anti-war movement, who is constantly in the Public Eye, and whom events have proved was right all along, is excluded !!

I believe that is it down to one of two things; either the BBC acting vindictive because of his constant criticism of them, or they have bowed to pressure from either/both Bolton & Browne, because they dare not of face GG in a debate, exactly like Jon Gaunt did at the end of last year. I tend to think that it is more the latter, because although I know that the BBC is now a shadow of it’s former self after it’s self-castration following the Hutton Inquiry, it must surely retain enough professionalism not to be motivated by petty vindictiveness. I’m interested to read Harry’s comment about a Caller who was former BBC employee, as I don’t retold hear that call, so I would like to know what he/she said.

Regarding the panel, Tony Benn will be brilliant, and although he will be head & shoulders above the rest, his polite & restrained manner, as well as his age will be taken advantage off by his opponents, as has been done in the past, as in trying to dismiss his views as that of an old out of touch eccentric. To me he is a priceless & unique hero, and in common with GG, I regard him, as he does, in many ways as my Mentor, as he helped shape my opinions when I became interested in politics at a young age.

It would be interesting to see if Dimbleby says anything about the absence of Galloway, as it is such an obvious shortfall in the debate, and I wouldn’t be surprised Benn himself remarks on it.
Comsatangel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely shocking that there's no George. I'm very curious about this "invited audience." Just how does one get invited? And what is the selection criteria? Actually, I think I can work out the second one for myself.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Benn's the man. I'm also looking forward to hearing Bhutto - I don't think I've ever seen her in a situation like Question Time before.
mickyv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faceless , have you not see the “Dinner with Portillo” episodes that are on EvilGoblin’s YouTube page ? Bhutto was a guest along with GG, and I think she came cross as ok, but as I’m struggling to remember her, she could not have made too much of an impression on me.

Indeed what I remember most is some old yank professor being so unable to counter GG comments about American imperialism, that the only thing that he finally comes out with is a very pathetic huff of “You don’t know what you are talking about !”.

Classic GG-got-his-man moment.
popinjay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harry perkins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George was great there, thanks for that. Rana was also OK, Bhutto was just bland. The others were on cloud cookoo land.
"I'm a world authority on the American Jew Bob Dylan" - quality GG
Sheffman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... sickening GG has been dropped tonight, not sure why. I sent a rant via e-mail to the BBC, but of course, I'm wasting my time.
Good to see Tony Benn making an appearance, hope he doesn't let the side down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: