John Inman has died

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: John Inman has died Reply with quote

Comedy actor John Inman, best known for playing the camp Mr Humphries in 1970s sitcom Are You Being Served?, has died in hospital after being ill for some time, his manager Phil Dale said.

The Preston-born actor, who was 71, died at around 4am this morning in St Mary's Hospital in Paddington. Inman was diagnosed with Hepatitis A in 2001. His long-term partner, Ron Lynch, is said to be "devastated" at his death. The couple, who had been together more than 33 years, entered into a civil partnership in 2005 at a ceremony in Westminster.

Are You Being Served?, which first aired in 1972, was set in a department store and was much-loved by the public. It once attracted more than 22 million viewers for an episode in 1979. Inman's "I'm free!" catch-phrase quickly entered popular culture thanks to his performances in the sitcom. Some critics said the character was a homosexual stereotype but many viewers were very fond of Mr Humphries.

Inman was named TV Personality Of The Year and Funniest Man On Television in 1976. The actor has also been acknowledged as one of the best pantomime dames in the country.

His manager has said: "John, through his character Mr Humphries, was known and loved throughout the world. He was one of the best and finest pantomime dames working to capacity audiences throughout Britain. John was known for his comedy plays and farces which were enjoyed from London's West End throughout the country and as far as Australia, Canada and the USA."
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww that's a shame. I really liked him. I hope he brings some fun to those in the afterlife.

Good old John Inman - RIP.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked him. Really made me laugh. Such a shame.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that is a shame - but it's odd that he didn't seem to do anything else of note in the 30 years or so since AYBS. Maybe gasman can enlighten us though...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: