Anti Trident demos - pics and video
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Anti Trident demos - pics and video Reply with quote

Scots Rally Against Trident
Updated: 13:41, Saturday February 24, 2007

Around 1,000 protesters have gathered in Glasgow calling for the Trident nuclear weapon system to be ditched. Political, church and union leaders joined the crowds at the Bin The Bomb rally, which was loosely tied in with an anti-war and anti-nuclear rally in London. Prime Minister Tony Blair set out plans late last year to replace Trident, based on the Clyde at Faslane, at an estimated cost of up to £20b. He said retention of the nuclear deterrent was "crucial" to national security, and Parliament is due to decide on the plans next month.

SNP leader Alex Salmond joined Solidarity MSP Tommy Sheridan and CND vice-president Bruce Kent in speaking in Glasgow's George Square after an hour-long march through the streets. Mr Salmond told people they had a choice at this May's Holyrood elections to vote for a "nuclear-free Scotland". He said there was a choice between a "continuation down the route of wasting billions on a Trident replacement and ignoring international commitments to rid the world of nuclear weapons; or choosing to take the path of peace and prosperity. The people of Scotland have shown their opposition to Trident time and again. Instead of wasting billions on a weapons system that cannot protect us from terrorism, people would rather see that money spent on schools, hospitals and fighting crime."

The rally came as a poll showed that 76% of Scots would rather see money for Trident spent on public services. The YouGov poll, commissioned by the SNP, also found that two-thirds of the country opposed the purchase of a system to replace the weapons system.

---------------

I had a great time at this demo today - a lot of the time I feel a bit of a voice in the dark as so few people are interested in protesting because they're either a) cynical b) apathetic c) arseholes but today was a great time to see so many people in tune and together on something that was purely about showing unity with fellow humans. When the two main Catholic and Protestant leaders in Scotland are on the same stage in complete unison you know that there's something important going on. If you're reading this and thinking "well it won't change anything" then I feel sorry for you as you wallow in impotence, because, as one of the speakers pointed out, there are many things in history which people said could never be changed - slavery, votes for women, apartheid, etc - and where are they now?

I'll post some photos and video of the event in a while once I've got them sorted. There was a lot more than 1000 people there as the pics will show.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, here's some pics - more to come, but the bloody battery died on the camera as I was transferring and I've got to charge them up...

The last picture in this post is of Alex Salmond, the leader of the SNP, which is expected to be the main party in the Scottish Parliament after elections in May. He is dead set against the 20bn pounds it's expected to cost to replace trident - seeing such radical ideas as health and education as being more important.

2007-02-24-trident-march01.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-march02.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-march03.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-march04.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-paisley.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-people1.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-greenpeace.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-maketea2.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-maketea.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-alexsalmond.jpg
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant pictures faceless. That does look like quite a healthy turn-out to the protest for sure.

I agree with all you had to say in your initial post. Well done.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Brilliant pictures faceless. That does look like quite a healthy turn-out to the protest for sure.

cheers me dear - I'm just getting more stuff done now, including what could be some good video
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
IRiSHMaFIA wrote:

cheers me dear - I'm just getting more stuff done now, including what could be some good video

Excellent. I'm looking forward to them Cool
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's video of George Galloway at the London demo. This was recorded live about 20 minutes ago

http://www.couchtripper.com/video/07-02-24-GeorgeGalloway-SKYNews.wmv
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
here's video of George Galloway at the London demo. This was recorded live about 20 minutes ago

http://www.couchtripper.com/video/07-02-24-GeorgeGalloway-SKYNews.wmv

Thanks for that clip. Excellent turnout in London but not surprising at all really.

Okay....what else ye got? Bring it on lol
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, here's the last of the pics - I'll get the video done later...

the older man on the left of the first pic is Monsignor Bruce Kent, of CND

2007-02-24-trident-march09.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-march08.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-march07.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-march06.jpg
2007-02-24-trident-march05.jpg
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's the video I got - I filmed this bit to show how many people were there... the procession of people took about 15 minutes to go past.

http://couchtripper.com/video/TridentDemo.wmv
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Ok, here's the video I got - I filmed this bit to show how many people were there... the procession of people took about 15 minutes to go past.

http://couchtripper.com/video/TridentDemo.wmv

That was a brilliant job faceless!! clap That's a keeper for sure and you've some gift at this I tell you. I know you weren't too impressed about the film work but I think it's superb.

I don't know why they'd say only 1000 there. It looked like one hell of a lot more than that, but the best thing is seeing such a mix of people from young and old and from all sorts of different organisations and parties.

That's just impressive as hell. Once again well done Smile
luke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one faceless, great video and pics Smile
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Faceless. Thanks for the photos and videos. The musical track for your video also made me smile. Can't say I've heard that particular recording of the Proclaimers "500 Miles" before.

Cheers!
luke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've finally managed to get georges speech from london today online Smile

its here on http://www.sendspace.com/file/1midbm

and should sometime be available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUe9knqYzE
luke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and some pics Smile

Dsc02503.jpg
Dsc02497.jpg
Dsc02494.jpg
Dsc02492.jpg
luke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and more ...

Dsc02499.jpg
Dsc02520.jpg
Dsc02518.jpg
Dsc02517.jpg
Dsc02516.jpg
Dsc02512.jpg
Dsc02509.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: