Richard and Judy - pair of thieving bastards!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Richard and Judy - pair of thieving bastards! Reply with quote

Richard and Judy in quiz apology

TV hosts Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan have apologised to viewers for problems with a quiz on their show. It follows claims that callers were told to phone a premium rate number even after contestants had been chosen. At the start of Monday's show, the couple said they were "shocked and angry" about the matter and those affected would get refunds. Channel 4 has launched an investigation and said it would not "knowingly mislead viewers in any way".

The presenters added that they were unaware of the issue until Friday and the You Say, We Pay quiz would be suspended until the investigation was complete. Premium rate phone regulator Icstis has also launched an investigation. Icstis said it would look into the matter as quickly as possible, owing to the "big public interest" in the allegations.

Finnigan opened the show by saying: "Many of you will have read over the weekend and today that some problems have come to light with the You Say We Pay competition. It seems some callers have not been properly entered into the competition." Madeley continued: "A full investigation has been launched to find out exactly what's happened, and we won't be running You Say We Pay for the time being. Once we know the full extent of the problem, we'll be making arrangements for any viewers affected to get their money back." Finnigan added: "Richard and I knew nothing about this until late on Friday afternoon - we were very shocked and also angry on your behalf. We're very sorry."

The Mail on Sunday claimed leaked e-mails showed that the quiz's premium rate entry line continued to be promoted after a contestant had been selected. Icstis spokesman Rob Dwight said the regulator would ask to view the evidence that led to the Mail on Sunday article. It will also talk to Channel 4, production company Cactus TV and Eckoh, the provider of the £1-a-time phone service. "As a consumer protection body, we have a duty to investigate all complaints, so that is what we will be doing," Mr Dwight said. "We are gathering the hard facts and will take a decision based on what that evidence shows." He added that investigations usually took about eight to 12 weeks.

The Mail on Sunday claimed it had obtained a copy of a message sent by Eckoh to Cactus TV timed at 1709 GMT last Wednesday, listing 24 names and numbers. But 10 minutes later, the programme again invited callers to try their luck on the quiz, the report said. Channel 4 said it was investigating to determine the extent of the problem.

A spokesman said full refunds would be offered "if it's found that viewers have been encouraged to enter the competition after the cut-off point has passed for selecting a potential winner. You Say, We Pay will not be broadcast as part of Richard and Judy tonight and will not resume until the channel has completed its investigation into how the competition is being run," he said.

Last year, Icstis ruled Channel 4 had breached guidelines during a telephone vote for reality show Big Brother. The broadcaster invited viewers to select one of the evicted contestants to return to the programme. But this prompted about 3,000 complaints from people who felt they had been misled when they paid to eliminate the housemates in the first place. Channel 4 was not fined but it had to pay about £50,000 in administrative costs.

----------------

They're "sorry"? I'm sure they are! If they, having been involved in TV production for around 50 years combined, want us to believe that they don't know how these things work behind the scenes then they must truly be as idiotic as the questions Madeley asks of his guests.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RICHARD AND JUDY'S FURY AT PHONE SCAM
By Emily Miller And Nicola Methven 23/02/2007

CHANNEL 4 admitted yesterday the Richard and Judy phone scam hit at least the last two series of the show. The cost of repaying cheated viewers could reach £700,000 and as the scandal mounted, Richard Madeley declared: "I'm f***ing furious and so is Judy. We're livid." Their show's popular You Say We Pay phone quiz charged viewers £1 to call after potential players had already been picked.

Yesterday Richard hit the roof over the phone line rip-off that has jinxed the Richard and Judy show. Speaking after the Mirror exclusively revealed the scam could have been running for four years, and shaking his first in fury, he declared: "I've just read your story. The word 'fucking' isn't permissible on TV but I feel fucking furious about this and so does Judy. We're livid about it. I think it's a cock up, not a conspiracy. But we'll wait and see what the inquiry turns up. We're angry on behalf of our viewers."

Gran Lilly Cooper, 60, claimed yesterday that after she was picked to play Richard and Judy's You Say We Pay in November 2002, the TV couple continued to urge people to enter on a £1 premium phone line. Channel 4 admitted yesterday it was probable the con had affected the show's last two series covering 14 weeks and 70 programmes. The cost of refunds could hit £700,000.

Standing outside his home in Hampstead, North London, Richard stormed: "This lady clearly needs her story checking. I've just spoken to our people and that's exactly what they're doing. They're going through the phone files looking to see what happened on that day and who was there. I think possibly she's got it wrong. But we'll see and if she's right, she's right. We're determined that Channel 4 get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. It's going to get resolved. The main thing is that everybody who has been affected by this will get their money back."

Sighing in despair Judy Finnigan, 58, said: "I'm angry, cross and upset. This is the last thing we want to do to our viewers. We'll get to the bottom of it. Our viewers trust us and we owe it to them." Speaking on last night's chat show, Richard said a freephone line was set up so people could ring in and claim a refund. Judy told viewers: "Once again, Richard and I want to make it crystal clear that we had absolutely no idea this whole situation even existed until a few days ago."

Two days after launching an investigation Channel 4 announced yesterday it was likely the rip-off affected all of Richard and Judy's summer series from June to September and every episode of the present series. The broadcaster is now urgently investigating if the problem happened in previous years. A spokesman said: "We're still looking into these allegations. But initial inquiries suggest the problem affected not just the current series but also last summer's run of Richard and Judy. Our first concern is for our viewers. We wish to take prompt and appropriate action."

He confirmed that Channel 4, production company Cactus and phone line service provider Eckoh have offered refunds for calls not properly entered for You Say We Pay. The spokesman added: "If our investigation concludes the problem goes back further than last summer then the offer will be extended."

Any income left over will be donated to Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity. The three companies now stand to lose up to £700,000 from the shambles. This will increase if the investigation discovers the scam was running for years. Last summer, phoning Richard and Judy cost 50p per call. With an average of 15,000 callers desperate to play You Say We Pay each day, the quiz generated £450,000. This series, the call charge doubled to £1. After 16 days on the air it had already brought in £240,000. You Say We Pay was suspended on Monday.

Sources say Cactus and Eckoh are co-operating with the latest investigation. Phone line regulator Icstis has given them until next Thursday to hand over all email traffic, phone records and tapes.

---------------------

I don't get why they didn't just get people to phone in for the next day's show instead.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that Channel 4 has had a lot of controversy this year what with this and the whole Celebrity Big Brother thing. Now I've no idea all the shows they offer but it I get the feeling a lot of people won't be phoning in for a lot of their "results" shows or contests.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
Seems to me that Channel 4 has had a lot of controversy this year what with this and the whole Celebrity Big Brother thing. Now I've no idea all the shows they offer but it I get the feeling a lot of people won't be phoning in for a lot of their "results" shows or contests.

well here's another "scandal" that should rock the boat more...

REFUNDS AFTER NEW TV VOTE BLUNDER

By Fiona Cummins, showbiz reporter 01/03/2007

X FACTOR viewers were yesterday offered their cash back after being overcharged £200,000 in a voting blunder by ITV. They should have paid 35p but forked out 50p when they pressed the red interactive button on their Sky remotes to vote for their favourite contestant, including winner Leona Lewis. The mistake - affecting 1.3 million votes - happened during every live eviction on the talent show last year.

Yesterday ITV moved quickly to admit its error in the wake of alleged phone scams on Channel 4 and the BBC. It said it was a data inputting error and promised to donate £200,000 to charity Childline as well as refund viewers' money. It said: "We very much regret that a mistake was made in the red button payment systems during the last series of the X Factor and we apologise to all those viewers affected. This was an isolated incident of human error."

The mistake came to light last week after a company audit of interactive cash from the X Factor screened last October 14 to December 16. It also showed that ITV lost £55,000 by charging viewers 35p instead of £1 when they pressed the red button in a separate contest to try to win a holiday. Landline, mobile and text entries were unaffected. It will write off that cost. ITV said it had reported the error to premium rate services regulator Icstis.

It added: "ITV operates a robust audit system which closely monitors interactive revenues and this system picked up the incorrect pricing at the first available opportunity. Since this incident ITV has undertaken a thorough review of the operation of its interactive services and systems. We are confident that we have a fair and transparent system that works and delivers a good service to viewers."

Icstis is already investigating alleged irregularities over phone-ins to Channel 4's Richard and Judy show and BBC1's Saturday Kitchen. The Daily Mirror yesterday revealed how phone line firm Eckoh had dumped Cactus TV, which makes both shows, following the row. C4 viewers were encouraged to call Richard & Judy's You Say We Pay quiz during the show to try and get on even though contestants had already been selected in the first few minutes.

Saturday Kitchen also misled viewers by giving the impression that pre-recorded shows were live and urging people to call in when they had no hope of taking part. The cookery show once asked viewers to vote for which of two meals Eamonn Holmes would like to eat. But the show was pre-recorded and Holmes was presenting his slot on BBC Radio Five Live at the time. The BBC denied it had conned viewers but said the phrasing used by the programme's presenters was "ambiguous". The BBC, which does not profit from the Saturday Kitchen phonelines, has now decided that the show will always go out live to avoid any misunderstanding.

Any red button X Factor viewers wishing to claim the 15p per vote overpayment can contact ITV on freephone 08000 636263 or at www.itv.com/help. They must provide a phone bill as proof they used their interactive remote.

---------------

Seems they're all at it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: