episode guide to the talkSPORT shows
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: episode guide to the talkSPORT shows Reply with quote

I've been meaning to keep notes of the contents of most shows for a while now, but only really get as far as the cursory comments I put in the download section, so I'm wondering if anyone reading this has got notes of relevant topics in any shows? The idea would be to make up a browsable topic list, and then perhaps create a wikipedia page with the info.

I realise it's a fairly OCD thing to do, but I do like my lists...

Also, I'm planning to make a Galloway dance-mix jobby and if any of you know of particular good putdowns or laughs in any show, then I'd appreciate the input.
PaintDry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Schoolboy howler' at the senate comes immediately to mind as to his putdowns, all-time classic.
'Scottish Billys', the rubbish we were dragged through with the fox-hunting, conspiracy theories and quacking ducks, these seem to have had him particularly exasperated as I recall off the top of my head.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting project. Either Friday or Saturday (yes, my memory is that bad) he re-iterated his opinion of Christopher Hitchens (drink-soaked popinjay) -- doesn't sound complete.

I would shy away from some of his catch phrases, though, such as his "shiver running along looking for a spine to run up" or "2 cheeks" only because I think he uses them a bit too frequently. He likes to mention "white coats" whenever people call in with "conspiracy" theories. "They're coming to take me away (ha ha)" Very Happy

"Have they let you out for the weekend?" (Saturday's show, about 44 mins in, talking to John).

There are some gems, but it'll be painstaking finding them. Let me know if you want help with that.
popinjay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

major.tom wrote:
Sounds like an interesting project. Either Friday or Saturday (yes, my memory is that bad) he re-iterated his opinion of Christopher Hitchens (drink-soaked popinjay) -- doesn't sound complete.

Former Trotskyite ;)
major.tom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right you are, Popinjay.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a good suggestion for the one for John on Saturday's show - cheers Major. If you or anyone else notices any more and can give a time and date that would be great.
behroze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popinjay wrote:
major.tom wrote:

Former Trotskyite ;)

First off, I'm no expert on either George Galloway or Christopher Hitchens. I had a lot of respect for Hitchens until around the time he stopped writing for The Nation. He is a brilliant man in many respects but his stance on the Iraq war is baffling, to say the least. I only started reading about GG about a year ago and started listening to his show on talkSPORT in December 2006 so I'm not 100% familiar with his views, in particular his views on religion. Having said that, I agree with GG on everything except one: as a skeptic/humanist (so you know where I'm coming from), I think GG is an apologist for religion and ignores how people will do many absurd things in the name of religion that they would no do in absence of religion. To Hitchens' credit he sees this side of GG and has often called him on it. What Hitchens fails to grasp is that kettles should be careful which pot they call black. I don't think either man is infallible but GG is much less so.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guttersnipe
popinjay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a great one where he said a caller "sounded like Rab C Nesbitt". Can't remember which show it was on.
major.tom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night (Sunday) about 9:25 mins in, I heard him describe a drunken MP as "the honourable member swaying in the non-existent breeze." That sort of had a nice ring to it.

I'll revisit some previous recordings and report what I find.
mickyv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One recent Caller that made me, (and GG), laugh, accused him of selling out his principles in order to win votes/power, and when GG asked him to name one such principle, the Caller went quiet for a bit, and then said he couldn't think of any !!

It's not the first time he has do this to clueless callers, so maybe a little string of these would be quite amusing ?
major.tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these aren't too funny, but as "sound bites" aren't bad...

7/8/06
- 7:12 "I don't believe in exclusive states" (monologue)
- 39:12 "...a script that has thrown sand in the eyes of generations..." (Jabar)
- 81:00 "he's a rank hypocrite" (Zane?)
- 140:00 "I've waited my whole life to be caught out [by Jeff of Stanford Hill]"

Are you more interested in his particular brand of put-down or will anything distinctly Galloway do?
popinjay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good insult tonight. David Milliband... "Harry Potter"

major.tom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On tonight's show, there was a hilarious comment about Margaret Thatcher. About 63 minutes in, a lady (Gloria) called in to mention Tariq Ali's play in which Maggie is hiding in the cellar of the Houses of Parliament, only popping up when the halls are empty to give Blair advice.

"She'll be in the cellar 'til there's a stake through her heart."
major.tom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been busy reviewing (when I can). Here are some more gems. (Let me know if they miss the mark.)

7/15/06
- 20:30 "Keep speaking, Michael, 'cos I can hear people laughing across the country"

7/16/06
- 43:30 "...he went into the stables and came out with Margaret Beckett" (a spin on his regular analogy to Caligula's Horse)

9/03/06
- 79:00 "You'd have to be in a humane asylum [to believe that Iraq is better off without Sadam Hussein]"

9/09/06
- 37:00 "Just because you haven't tasted it, doesn't mean that the moon is not made of cheese. I think that's crackers." (Lee's text)

Might I suggest "sticky"-ing this thread? it would make for easy reference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: