World's dearest Valentine's card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: World's dearest Valentine's card? Reply with quote

The Royal Mail has revealed images of what is thought to be the world's most expensive Valentine's card.

Dating back to 1790, the intricately designed Valentine filled with heartfelt messaging would fetch up to £4,000 if auctioned today.

It is currently housed at the British Postal Museum and Archive - and they have no plans of selling the card.

The card is a handmade puzzle which unfolds to reveal poetic messages - a far cry from the short notes written in today's Valentine's cards.

On the outside of the card, the inscription reads:

"My dear the Heart which you behold,

Will break when you the same unfold,

Even so my heart with lovesick pain,

Sure wounded is and breaks in twain."

Patrick O'Neill, from Royal Mail, commented: "This year Royal Mail will be delivering over 12 million Valentine's cards but probably none as romantic as the verse written inside here.

"Although the card is a valuable piece - we would never dream of selling it as can you really put a price on true love?"
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and we also have to have the cheapest one to compare now:

Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just beautiful.

I love the cards my husband makes for me.

One year he did one with sweet pictures of the dogs on the front. They looked precious and on the inside he wrote:

"You're cuter" cuteshy
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:

I like this one much better than the expensive one!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:

It's just another prime example of how commercial Valentines day is.

Think about it....first people blow themselves skint for Christmas, then retailers have a quiet time for a wee bit after and have to make up for it, so they have Valentines day....then after that it goes quiet again till St. Paddy's Day comes along, then not only retailers but pubs get in on the action.....and it goes on and on and on.

I know this sounds anything but romantic, but it's all a farce when it comes down to it. You don't need a date on a calender to show how much you love someone, and it most certainly doesn't need to be displayed with material things either. It should be shown daily in things you do or say, not things bought.

Tesco should have on the inside 'We love your money so please come back soon!' Laughing
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as a whole we have lost the art of being able to make things for each other. For me I prefer all the stuff my husband makes for me then anything else. And it is even more special when it's not predicted.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
I think as a whole we have lost the art of being able to make things for each other. For me I prefer all the stuff my husband makes for me then anything else. And it is even more special when it's not predicted.

Now you're a girl with the right idea! Things like that is what love is all about, and being spontaneous makes it all the better and more meaningful thumbs

A friend of mine wanted her boyfriend to take her to Niagara Falls and spend a small fortune on a room for one night. He hasn't a job right now but she said he can always put it on his credit card. He said if you expect me to do that would you go over the falls in a barrel to show you love me? Needless to say she ain't going nowhere Laughing
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

Now you're a girl with the right idea! Things like that is what love is all about, and being spontaneous makes it all the better and more meaningful thumbs

A friend of mine wanted her boyfriend to take her to Niagara Falls and spend a small fortune on a room for one night. He hasn't a job right now but she said he can always put it on his credit card. He said if you expect me to do that would you go over the falls in a barrel to show you love me? Needless to say she ain't going nowhere Laughing

Laughing No doubt! Don't blame that fella at all!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:

that's a cracking story

Laughing
Twirley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, my husband rang me this morning from DC just to say he was blowing me a kiss. Awwwww! No need for a card and flowers...that was enough!

hug
girldorksrule
Arrrrrrr...scurvy!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have sap all over me.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girldorksrule wrote:

Aren't you the dirty girl then goofy
Twirley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

girldorksrule wrote:

Sorry girldork - guess I was feeling sappy yesterday. Razz

BTW, I did get some flowers too, so he's in the good books when he comes home tonight!

bigkisses
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Skylace wrote:

You've definately a girl with the right idea, Sky! It's all about love and the little things. We made a choice many years ago not to really celebrate Valentine's Day per se.... as we'd much rather do things throughout the year, not when the manufacturer's say we should be romantic --- not that I'm against the whole thing, mind you. The older I get, the more I realize, it's the time that people take to do something nice, not the gift or whatever.

On that note, a colleague was telling me the other day that something nasty happened to her little girl at school. She's in kindergarten and had made handmade valentine's cards for all her little friends and was quite excited about handing them out. Turns out someone stole them from the school before she had a chance to hand them out at their little party.

Who would do something nasty like that to a little 4 yr old?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Annual celebrations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: