Video gamers share their pain as they get active

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Video gamers share their pain as they get active Reply with quote

TORONTO (Reuters) - Video gamers relish violence on the screen but now players are becoming victims themselves -- of the latest gaming technology in which a wireless, wand-like device is used to direct on-screen action.

Using Nintendo's Wii, the most talked about of three new game consoles out this holiday, players of seemingly harmless games such as bowling and tennis are being left battered and bruised by the controller, not to mention damaging television screens and nearby ceiling fans and computers.

Nintendo has cautioned players on using a wrist strap with the controller and keeping their palms dry but Jim Walsh's blog (www.WiiHaveAProblem.com) is dedicated to sharing some of the amusing -- and embarrassing -- stories of what he calls "the latest trend in gaming violence."

Walsh, a Cleveland-based operating systems operator, launched the site last month after hearing his first Wii damage story -- his friend's remote crashed into his big-screen television -- to see what would happen.

He has been flooded with similar stories.

The site has received 3 million page views since it launched, and he receives 20 to 30 e-mails a day detailing woeful tales of over-enthusiastic players and Wii damage.

"Nintendo built a system that's fun," Walsh told Reuters in a phone interview. "You get really into it. Your hands get sweaty, next thing you know your remote goes flying into the dog." Or your head -- which happened to one site contributor, Nicole, while she was bowling.

"I swung really hard to knock down the 50 plus pins and all of a sudden I realized my head hurt," wrote Nicole in a post accompanied by close-up pictures of her bruise.

"I was wearing the tether <and> instead of it flying wildly into the air it stopped and swung back around and hit me in the head." She notes that she was sober at the time.

SAD MIX OF ALCOHOL AND WII

The site has its fair share of "we were playing Wii and drinking" stories which end up with a broken object or an injured person.

Then there are incidents when the wrist strap attached to the remote breaks, causing pain of the financial sort.

"A friend of mine that never plays video games actually got into playing the Wii," posts Dopefish. "About an hour into the festivities, he was bowling with too much enthusiasm and too little strap-around-the-wrist. BAM. Wii-mote, meet my $3,500 TV."

Since the bowling, throwing, swinging movement of the motion-sensitive remote corresponds directly with the action in the video game, the fate of an innocent television screen, for instance, rests in the hands of the user and the wrist-strap.

Nintendo has since addressed the wrist-strap issue. The company has released a thicker strap and has posted a safety warning on its Web site, highlighting, in bold, all-caps: "Do not let go of the Wii remote itself."

Walsh admitted that some of the Wii injuries and damage shared on his blog might have been prevented by following the safety information, but he also said toning it down may help.

"You have to remember that you're not really serving a ball at 90 miles an hour ... so you don't end up on the front of my Web site," he said.

I got a bit of a chuckle reading this article. I'd love to try this. Everytime I see the ad on tv I feel like going out and getting one of them. They look like loads of fun dancer
Gasman59
Resident Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these people are doing damage to themselves and their furniture, I'm sure to kill myself.... Shocked
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

& this is just from the few who have the wii now...

About noon Xmas day & onwards we will see thousands more injuries...
cori

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried sooooo many times to get the WII for our son to no avail, good thing he decided on the xbox 360, def alot safer
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I saw stuff about this on the Today show recently. Soon enough they'll be making plexiglass gaurds for in front of the telly! Surprised

I still want one regardless!
fritz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stick with my PlayStation 1 Confused Razz
6ULDV8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
Laughing I saw stuff about this on the Today show recently. Soon enough they'll be making plexiglass gaurds for in front of the telly! Surprised

Wouldn't it be safer to put the player in a plexiglass box?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
Skylace wrote:

Wouldn't it be safer to put the player in a plexiglass box?

Then we have to worry about airholes! Laughing
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they get sued in a frivolous legal case!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6ULDV8 wrote:
& this is just from the few who have the wii now...

About noon Xmas day & onwards we will see thousands more injuries...

And they're all going to friggin' well call me at work!!! Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: